PDA

View Full Version : Whats the common concensus on playing AQ early at low blinds

skierdude1000
07-24-2005, 02:53 PM
Ok, well usually I raise AQo and AQs UTG for like 3x total in the first and second levels of blinds (20-40 and 30-60)

From what I've read here, it seems like some people would advise against that raise and would either call or fold. I think that its more +ev to raise than to call and definately more than folding.

If you just call and then like 5-6 more players limp and see the flop, wtf do you do when an ace comes...

By raising I think you protect your hand. Someone please help me figure out this whole AQ in early position at early blinds thing...

ChuckNorris
07-24-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you just call and then like 5-6 more players limp and see the flop, wtf do you do when an ace comes...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think at the lowest buy-ins you can play it pretty confidently, especially if you haven't raised. When you raise worse kickers are of course a little less frequent. But also when you raise, I believe people are pretty likely to reraise pf if they have AK. People go all-in in with draws, middle pairs and TPWK all the time even at 33's. Be more cautious than with AK, but look to double up I'd say.

[ QUOTE ]
By raising I think you protect your hand. Someone please help me figure out this whole AQ in early position at early blinds thing...

[/ QUOTE ]

You raise for value, simple as that. People will call you with A2s and 63o. I'd go for a bit more than 3xBB, like 4x. I'd raise AQo utg.

11t
07-24-2005, 03:09 PM
Don't go broke tpgk vs tptk.

Jbrochu
07-24-2005, 03:58 PM
Maybe this is really weak, but when I played low buy-in Party STTs ($6, $11) I folded A,Qo UTG in the first two rounds or so. Too many times I would lose 10 to 15% of my stack or worse.

You can autofold these STTs for two or three rounds and still get your real premium hands payed off.

Now that I play mostly at Stars, I generally raise with A,Q from EP but I'm still very careful with it post-flop.

07-24-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't go broke tpgk vs tptk.

[/ QUOTE ]
Also:
Don't go broke TPTK vs random 2 pair when there's no PF raise at level 1 /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Iron Tigran
07-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Call me a wuss, but generally I fold AQ UTG in the first level or two (obviously always adjusting for what's been going on at the table). It's not a monster by any stretch, and I don't want to lose 200-300 chips on one of the first two levels with a hand like AQ.

Newt_Buggs
07-24-2005, 09:47 PM
I limp

most players at the higher levels are intelligent enough to fold out their weaker kickers to an ep raise. They will still limp thier beloved trash behind though and call down to the river w TP.