PDA

View Full Version : Evaluating starting hands by points

imported_adhoc
07-24-2005, 01:54 PM
I read an article by Michael Capelletti where he mentions a "point count system" for evaluating starting hands in Omaha. He says it is outlined in Poker at the Millennium. I have played a little Omaha; I generally will play pairs JJ or higher and any suited Ace regardless of preflop action and fold on the flop if I do not substantially improve (either hitting what is likely to be the nuts or a strong draw to it). So far this strategy has worked out alright, but I know it isn't correct and I am interested in learning how to play the game. Could anyone outline Mr Cappelletti's point system for me?

mshalen
07-24-2005, 04:07 PM
It is a little too complicated to give a two line summary (and I left my copy of the book in my office) but basicly:
High value is given to Axs and Kxs, high cards, touching cards and high pairs. ie. Ah2hJdQs would have high points due to A suited, AJQ being high cards and JQ touching with A being 1 gap.

There is a 2 page description in his O8 book (he just sort of throws it in).

Sorry I couldn't be more explicit. I haven't seen a full explanation anywhere in the web. Next week I'll dig out my copy and give more specific info.

imported_adhoc
07-25-2005, 09:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Next week I'll dig out my copy and give more specific info.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be very interested to know more about this system; thank you. In the meantime, if anyone else can detail it, please do not be shy.

ogami
07-25-2005, 10:06 AM
try a google search for hutchison omaha points system.

imported_adhoc
07-25-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
try a google search for hutchison omaha points system.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen this one; it uses 15 points as a determinant of a calling hand. From what I read, the Cappelletti system uses 12 points to indicate the same thing. Does your experience suggest that the Hutchison system is sound?

joewatch
07-25-2005, 01:37 PM
I've got a copy of the cappelletti system. But honestly, I don't know anybody who uses these systems to evaluate the potential of a hand during play. I think these point counts were invented to sell books.

Tilt
07-25-2005, 02:20 PM
I think the hutchinson system is very sound. Once you use it for a while it becomes intuitive. It is based on the outcome of thousands of hand simulations, not some bogus guesswork to sell books.

It is particularly useful when it comes to determining hand strength for all-in preflop situations - for tourney play especially. The weakness of it is that it simulates hand potential as though everyone saw all 5 cards, but we all know some hands - like double pairs - have better relative flop potential than river potential. It doesn't account for that.

joewatch
07-25-2005, 11:36 PM
Anybody notice this when you play AAs all-in? Most of the time, two-dimes says you are a dog to somebody with 2-pair or wrap when it is 3-way, but usually, you win the hand with either a flush or 2 pair.

mshalen
07-26-2005, 11:22 AM
Sorry I can't find my Cappelletti book. But you may be interested in this
http://bet-the-pot.com/omaha-point-count-systems-page62.html