PDA

View Full Version : Arrg Bad Beat! (low content)

jhall23
07-24-2005, 01:24 PM
Foggy headed from a party last night, I wake up to multiple rings (cell then home) to find work calling about some problem I need to look into. I slowly stumble to my living room and connect to work, and then take care of the problem. My computer then gets really slow and nothing is happening. I try and pull up the task menu to kill some stuff and presto!, blue screen pops up with a very non-informative message that there is a hard drive problem.

In short after some failed attempts at salavage, my Work laptop, which has my PT databases and Hand Histories stored, just bit the dust on me. I probably had like 80,000 hold'em hands and approaching 5-10K on my new Poker Tracker Omaha.

I was just thinking how I should be backing the thing up recently and copying the databases and hand histories over to my new computer I just got this month.

Meh, meh!

I guess some of that work crap matters too but for some reason I don't care about it /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hopefully we can recover some stuff. I've had no luck today trying to create a bootable linux CD to see if I can see my stuff. Apparently new comp is having problems writing to my CD-RW's.

Apologize for the LC post, but a bad tech day and needed to vent. Man all I wanted to do was get some more sleep!!

jkkkk
07-24-2005, 01:28 PM
Ouch, I feel for you. Probably should upload my databases in a compressed file somewhere, but i'm lazy. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

NYCNative
07-24-2005, 01:36 PM
There are people who can get into some of the most corrupted HDs and extract information. Find them. However, be prepared to pay for it.

stu-unger
07-24-2005, 02:21 PM
GEEKSQUAD to the rescue!!!!!

jhall23
07-24-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are people who can get into some of the most corrupted HDs and extract information. Find them. However, be prepared to pay for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know it's possible, only problem is it won't really be my decision since it is a work laptop. I'll have to talk with the IT guys at work about what can be done, but I imagine they might just wipe it out. If it was mine I'd be able to do whatever I want with it.

All in all it's not the end of the world if I lose my DB's, though it does suck.

jhall23
07-26-2005, 12:11 PM
We'll the hard drive is totally f'ed, but with the help of one of our IT guy's at work I got a lot of my stuff back so I am pretty happy.

He had a Hot Drive Storage enclosure (http://www.pcuniverse.com/3059790.htm) where we could attach the junked out hard drive to a PC via USB. Then from there it was mounted just like a normal drive and I could browse it and copy everything to that PC.

Pretty nice little product for under $40 dollars. If anyone ever has their hard drive crap out this is a pretty cheap way to get your data back, provided the disk isn't totally ruined (ie not spinning at all).

So yeah I'm pretty happy this turned out alright. Thought this might be usefull for people to know as well.