PDA

View Full Version : NL Question

07-24-2005, 12:04 PM
Recently I played a home game with some friends of friends. Basically a couple guys I didn't know. Well, one of these guys is dictating the table (dealing every hand, maintaining rules, etc) and a situation arises where one of us is all-in. The guy all-in was the first to bet and he bet all his chips, which was like 3x the BB. The 'dealer' said that this was an action bet (or action raise, can't remember which) which means no more betting is allowed, we can only call or fold. I thought this rule was ridiculous, but he swore that it's a rule and that it's enforced online too. Which got me thinking that I have seen this happen online before, but I recall that all raises stopped when someone re-raised all in. Can somone clear up this rule for me.

I hope I've made this post as understanable as possible.

amoeba
07-24-2005, 12:09 PM
it only happens when the all in guy does not raise enough to be double the previous raise.

example, short stack has $5 dollars. he is behind me. I raise to $4 dollars, he goes all in, at this point no more raising can occur since its just $1 more over my $4 raise. if he had $8 or more then betting is still open.

in your case, I assume people in front limped and he open pushed for 3xbb, in this case, people can still raise behind him.

bkholdem
07-24-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it only happens when the all in guy does not raise enough to be double the previous raise.

example, short stack has $5 dollars. he is behind me. I raise to $4 dollars, he goes all in, at this point no more raising can occur since its just $1 more over my $4 raise. if he had $8 or more then betting is still open.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you saying that if the next player after the short stack had $50 in front of him, and the player after him had $400 the $50 guy couldn't make it say, $20 to go or push in all $50?

07-26-2005, 04:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Double the previous raise or the original bet???

ActionMatt
07-26-2005, 04:50 AM
i believe it is if the guy cannot make the minimum raise whether is raising the big blind or reraising another players raise...i could be wrong though.

poboy
07-26-2005, 01:39 PM
Sounds like he had a hand he wanted to take a cheap flop with. You can reraise after the short stack pushes so long as someone didn't raise to 2BB's before he made it 3BB. This goes for all betting rounds not just pre-flop, so long as a raise is double the previous bet or raise the action is still open. Something to consider when making your bets and raises is how likely a short stack is to push. If you are certain he will you should bet 1/2 his stack allowing him to reraise and hopefully get a caller or two and then you can reraise. Obviously this requires that you be in EP and that you have a big hand. JMO

theben
07-26-2005, 01:48 PM
if 2 other players are in the hand w/ chips left, they can still bet. this rule is BS. do not allow some jerk to control the rules of a home game and adjust them to his advantage as he sees fit. use standard rules and tell all those other jerk offs to go fart off

Nikademus
07-26-2005, 01:57 PM
From http://www.pokernews.com/pokerterms/action-only.html

Action Only
In many card rooms, with respect to an all-in bet, only a full bet is considered a legitimate wager, in terms of whether this constitutes a raise that can be re-raised. Anything less than a full bet is considered to be action only, that is, other players can call such a bet but not raise it. For example, Chloe bets $10. Henry calls. John goes all in for $14. When the bet gets back to Chloe, she is permitted only to call the extra $4; the same goes for John.

So, in your case, this is not appropriate, since the guy going all-in was the first to bet.

Proofrock
07-26-2005, 01:59 PM
I'm under the impression that this rule is in effect when
1) one player raises,
2) there is an all-in reraise that is less than the minimum legal raise, and
3) the remaining players in the hand have elected to just call. When it comes back to the original raiser, then s/he cannot reraise.

ex) I bet $5, shorstack goes all-in for $6, late position player calls $6, action gets back to me. I can now only call the extra $1.

In the above example, if late position had raised, say to $12, then I would have the option of calling, raising, or folding as usual. Hope this helps.

-cj

(I don't know if this is an "official rule" or not - does anybody else know?)

wdeadwyler
07-26-2005, 02:01 PM
This happened to me at turning stone.
I had AA. UTG made a standard raise. UTG+1 called. Everyone folds to me in LP, I see AA. I reraise big. UTG goes all in (not double the size of my bet). UTG+1 calls.
I am familiar with the double bet rule, so I turn to the dealer and ask him what my options are (hoping to sneak one by him without giving away too much info). He says I can call, fold, or raise (plan worked).
I reraise, then as soon as I put my chips in the middle, he says, oh wait, you cant reraise. I get pretty pissed, saying things like how can you tell me I can reraise then cancel it after I elect to do so? He tells me my raise is no good. I argue more, we bring the floorman over.
Floorman initially says I cannot reraise because UTG's reraise is not at least double my raise. I argue more, saying this whole situation is ludicrous, that once the dealer tells me I can raise and I do so, how can you elect to not let me raise.
Floorman thinks for some more, than quotes some obscure turning stone rule that UTG only had to make at least a 1/2 sized raise for me to be able to act again.
Example: he bets 4, i raise to 12, he reraises to make it 16 total. I had never heard of this rule, and always thought the all in raise had to be at least the size of my raise. Needless to say I wasnt gonna argue.
I reraised big, and to my surprise (as I thought it was very obvious what I had) UTG+1 called again. Flop came draw heavy board so I pushed all in. UTG+1 folded.
AA held up against UTG's all in. Nice pot for me.

Cased Heel
07-26-2005, 02:16 PM
I played a hand at the 1/2 NL table at the Aladdin and this rule didn't apply.

Some guy bet out $25, two callers, then a guy pushes "all-in" for $28, then the original bettor moves over the top and gets the other two guys to fold (all because of a $3 re-raise?) I thought this was ridiculous that the other two guys got blocked out like this and I said that hi's $28 "allin" shouldn't have re-opened the betting but the dealer and everyone at the table said it does.

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I thought that any re-raise (in that round) should only be a multiple of $3. That would make sense. In other words, the hand should play out like a limit hand for the remainder of that betting round. (This would keep people from getting c0ckblocked )