PDA

View Full Version : 10/20 Party NL-Shorthanded JJ facing a reraise

FoxwoodsFiend
07-24-2005, 10:43 AM
4-handed. Button (380) has been playing short-stack strategy of raising preflop then pushing any flop when checked to him. Small blind (1480) is playing tight, even though we're short-handed. I believe him to be a winning player at this level based on a few sessions (Poppin' Jay). I have been raising around 60% of hands and bullying the table and have $3200 at the table
Hero is in the big blind with J /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
UTG folds
Button raises to 75
SB reraises to 310.
Hero...?

tradingman123
07-24-2005, 11:00 AM
what is your stack size?

TonyBlair
07-24-2005, 11:01 AM
It just doesn't look like he's wanting a call here. A winning player will want some value with KK or AA so unless he's marked down the button as a caller I'd rule these hands out. How much you're playing will also come into his (and my) decision.

It stinks of AK/AQ or 9s, Ts, Js for a tightish player - better than the button and not wanting to chance a flop with a pusher. I could easily put QQ in there too. I'd think that's danger hand.

In my opinion, you can seriously consider playing this hand. As yet, however, I'm not sure how this is best played. Can someone else please post here?

FoxwoodsFiend
07-24-2005, 11:03 AM
Sorry-I edited it into the post.

AZK
07-24-2005, 12:55 PM
muck.

[ QUOTE ]
small blind (1480) is playing tight

[/ QUOTE ]

No reason to believe that he is just isolating shortstack with a decent but inferior hand...

I hate situations like these, too often I call, button moves in, you both call, you now have a 1kish pot and he has 1k behind, what do you think he is going to do on most flops?

BuBu_
07-24-2005, 01:04 PM
Considering SB's play I think you are behind to AA->QQ and ahead of (a possible) TT or 99.

Plus button might be ahead of you also.

Fold.

KaneKungFu123
07-24-2005, 01:13 PM
fold and its not even close by a mile.

wickedman
07-24-2005, 03:06 PM
I would probably call.
+ You have been playing agressively so he figures he doesn't need a big hand to get you out.
+ Its 4 handed so he needs even less of a hand to push you out.
+ You will be in posistion after the flop.
+ You raised on the button, could look like a regular steal.
+ If he had a real big hand and you had been playing agressively he probably wouldn't try to get you out of the hand this early (Kill off AA/KK maybe QQ).
+ You have him covered.
- Hes been playing tight.

I think it all points to a call.

fsuplayer
07-24-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my initial reaction as well.

MTBlue
07-24-2005, 04:02 PM
I hate jj in these situations. It seems kinda of weird for Poppin Jay to reraise preflop with aa kk or qq given that the button is auto pushing all flops. It seems like a better line for him would be to call preflop then call on the flop. I think I would come over the top of Poppin Jay (probably raising to 800~) and expect him to fold (he probably has something like ak 88 or 99 or tt (all hands that get lots of marginal flops)). If the button has you beat it sucks but Poppin Jay's dead money in the pot will compensate you nicely.

In a normal four handed situation this is an easy fold, but Poppin Jay's line seems out of place with trapping an overly aggressive button.

KaneKungFu123
07-24-2005, 04:20 PM
this is assuming pop will get allin with 88,99. i doubt he will call with these hands here.

[ QUOTE ]
I hate jj in these situations. It seems kinda of weird for Poppin Jay to reraise preflop with aa kk or qq given that the button is auto pushing all flops. It seems like a better line for him would be to call preflop then call on the flop. I think I would come over the top of Poppin Jay (probably raising to 800~) and expect him to fold (he probably has something like ak 88 or 99 or tt (all hands that get lots of marginal flops)). If the button has you beat it sucks but Poppin Jay's dead money in the pot will compensate you nicely.

In a normal four handed situation this is an easy fold, but Poppin Jay's line seems out of place with trapping an overly aggressive button.

[/ QUOTE ]

NLfool
07-24-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

creedofhubris
07-24-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to agree here. Preflop, versus a bet and a reraise, JJ is a muck unless you're closing the action with deep stacks and can play it for set value and with perfect position.

In this case, you've got one super short stack and another guy who's put in 25% of his stack preflop, so it's really just a bad idea to come in with a marginal holding like jacks.

JKratzer
07-24-2005, 08:11 PM
Fold.

MTBlue
07-24-2005, 08:16 PM
No, I think you are right that pop won't get all-in. I was thinking that the reraise would fold Pop and you would either get all-in with 2:1 on your money against the button or pickup 400 dollars without ever seeing a flop. Pop's action seems more like an isolating raise to me with a good hand than a monster hand. A trap play here against a button who is auto pushing the flop seems like the correct play with a big hand (AA KK QQ).

Dr. StrangeloveX
07-24-2005, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

anduril
07-24-2005, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Considering SB's play I think you are behind to AA->QQ and ahead of (a possible) TT or 99.

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent breakdown captain obvious.