PDA

View Full Version : Workout Equipment?

WackityWhiz
07-24-2005, 05:59 AM
yo, I'm moving into an apartment in a few weeks and I think I'm going to cancel my membership to the ymca and just buy some workout stuff for my room. One of my roommates has a dumbbell set and a 45 lb plate for plate workouts. I'd like to contribute some stuff too. I obviously don't have much space, so I can't get a bench or anything that big. Any suggestions would be sweet.

255 lbs now, goal: 215 by christmas

gimme some suggestions

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
07-24-2005, 06:07 AM
start running or swimming. so get a tredmill or pool i guess.

JasonM
07-24-2005, 07:26 AM
Thigh Master

Jason

jakethebake
07-24-2005, 10:06 AM
we just did this exact thread (small new apartment workout equipment) within the last few months. try the search function. KETTLEBELLS (http://www.russiankettlebells.com/) are supposed to be a great option and someone here found a cheaper place to get them. Ask Blarg.

WackityWhiz
07-24-2005, 03:10 PM
thx, I was thinking medicine balls, but those look like they would serve more purpose.

I was also thinking about getting a training bag. Not one you hang from the ceiling, but one that has a sand/water filled bottom. Definately going to run too. I live at grandma's house now, so hopefully the pounds will melt off since I won't be around cookies all the time /images/graemlins/cool.gif

jakethebake
07-24-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thx, I was thinking medicine balls, but those look like they would serve more purpose.

I was also thinking about getting a training bag. Not one you hang from the ceiling, but one that has a sand/water filled bottom. Definately going to run too. I live at grandma's house now, so hopefully the pounds will melt off since I won't be around cookies all the time /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a heavy bag stand. They're not that expensive, don't take up much space, and are much better than the ones with sand-filled bottoms.

Blarg
07-24-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
we just did this exact thread (small new apartment workout equipment) within the last few months. try the search function. KETTLEBELLS (http://www.russiankettlebells.com/) are supposed to be a great option and someone here found a cheaper place to get them. Ask Blarg.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got mine from Amazon and I like it a lot. Much more interesting to work with than a dumbbell, because it's skill-based as well as just pushing up a weight. And I always feel a little insecure lifting dumbbells over my head, but a solid hunk of metal isn't going to come apart.

The swings are excellent fat burners, too, and good for overall full body strength and conditioning. But the best thing overall about them is that I'm having fun using mine. Weights bore me pretty severely.

I also really like the adjustable kettlebells at USKettlebell.com. You can make incremental weight changes in them just like with kettlebells, and unlike your typical plate-loading kettlebell handle, you don't wind up with an oddly shaped thing that could really hurt your forearm or shoulder if you get just the edge of a plate landing on it(happens all the time in kettlebells, but smooth ones spread the shock). Also, they look secure. Expensive, but regular kettlebells are expensive too, and not incrementally adjustable -- they take big leaps up in weight.

I've also gotten some Jumpstretch bands and like them a hell of a lot. You can use them to duplicate pretty much any weight bearing exercise, and vary the resistance by doubling or tripling the bands, or even doubling them on themselves. Also by stretching the bands more or less before you pull them. The more stretched, the greater the initial tension.

I got a set with two each of the 25, 50, 75, and 100 lb. bands. I've done great tricep extensions, shoulder presses, lat pulldowns, curls, reverse curls, "Formulator" type wrist curls, sledgehammer type wrist movements, rowing movements, neck work, individual thumb training, squats, even deadlifts. They're very tough and durable. You can also use them to anchor around a bench to make bench presses have a higher degree of difficulty at the end of the movement as well as the beginning(typical), and do the same with squats or by wrapping one around a kettlebell. Extremely versatile tool, and a whole pack takes up no more room than a couple of books, and you can just throw them in a drawer or whatever -- they don't take up room.

I've used them on arm exercises quite a bit while playing poker! I like how much you can adjust everything to get every single angle in a muscle, without worrying about dropping a weight on the floor or something like you would with weights. You can move in weird diagonals and such.

I'd also get a jumprope and some grippers for hand work and the challenge.

Blarg
07-24-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a heavy bag stand. They're not that expensive, don't take up much space, and are much better than the ones with sand-filled bottoms.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always thought having a heavy bag would be great, but especially if you live above or below someone, noise transfers really easily, and a heavy bag I would think could create a lot of noise. I could see your really irrirating the living hell out of your neighbors and getting management complaints by the score.

teamdonkey
07-24-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they may be great, but i couldn't bring myself to read past this:

[ QUOTE ]
Hacks your fat off—without the dishonor of dieting and aerobics

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg
07-24-2005, 06:29 PM
Pavel is full of hype and sells like an old-time circus barker, and that can be off-putting and pretty hard to get through, but kettlebells are actually pretty cool. And for all his ultra-hype and extremely high prices, the guy actually is pretty knowledgeable.