PDA

View Full Version : suggestion for OOT

07-24-2005, 04:06 AM
I suggest OOT be eliminated from 2+2. You can't have a forum that is so hypocritical. Ban someone for one thing yet let another thing slide.

07-24-2005, 04:09 AM
What is Mat Sklansky's e-mail address or where can I reach him. Thanks

lighterjobs
07-24-2005, 04:22 AM
mattysklansky@twoplustwo.com

Mat Sklansky
07-24-2005, 04:48 AM
It would certainly make my life easier. On the other hand it is one of the more popular forums. User input here would be nice. If we did can the general oot, we could still have specific other topic forums where subjects would be more specific. A movie forum, for instance. By the way. I want this threead to be taken seriously. "Troll" responses will tell me the elimination of this forum is the right way to go.

Mat

New001
07-24-2005, 04:50 AM
I'd rather have OOT as it is than not at all or separated more.

Brian
07-24-2005, 04:52 AM
Here's one vote against canning OOT, as even with moderators it is by far my favorite forum in which to lurk.

-Brian

pokerdirty
07-24-2005, 04:56 AM
where else can you talk about how many 5 yr olds you can take out before they can take you down, or date advice, or draw pictures on MS Paint making David Sklansky's forehead 4x larger than it really is?

if you don't like OOT, don't click on the Other Other Topics link.

Reef
07-24-2005, 04:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's one vote against canning OOT, as even with moderators it is by far my favorite forum in which to lurk.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree

[censored]
07-24-2005, 04:58 AM
I don't think we need to get of the OOT but some things need to change.

1) I can't believe I am saying this but the moderators need to bring the hammer down on the sexual posts. they have gotten out of hand, have been down countless time, are lame and are in poor taste. If someone really wants to know about [censored]-ing on the period, pubic hairs or the size of my unit then they can search through the god damned archives.

2) gimmick accounts need to just be banned on site. Yes some of them are well done and funny but most are lame and just piss me the hell off. So because too many lame brains are incapable of producing funny everyone needs to suffer. It is harsh but it needs to be done.

I'll think of more later but do those two things and OOT will be better.

KKbluff
07-24-2005, 04:58 AM
I say keep the OOT.
REASON : It is a great way to talk about things in life OTHER than poker.

True that some topics get out of control and become a waste of time, but there are the select few that make the OOT worth the while...

If this forum is to be kept it needs to have a DEDICATED moderator.
High school kids talking about sex/whatever else, is immature and needs to STOP (they are ruining this forum).

[censored]
07-24-2005, 05:01 AM
3) post about moderators are stupid. infact they are very very very stupid, posts asking moderators what happened to other posts are very very very stupid. These should be deleted and people can just adapt, evolve and use the mother [censored] PM feature

wacki
07-24-2005, 05:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I want this threead to be taken seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

The amount of knowledge and advice I have gained from Blarg, Nothumb, Alobar, Dynasty, Zeno, bernie, and many others in this forum can not be easily put into words.

TheMainEvent
07-24-2005, 05:12 AM
I don't think it helps that whenever someone comes up with a stupid idea for a thread it gets bumped 50 times by people who are just replying to talk about how much the thread sucks. Why not just let it die?

[censored]
07-24-2005, 05:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it helps that whenever someone comes up with a stupid idea for a thread it gets bumped 50 times by people who are just replying to talk about how much the thread sucks. Why not just let it die?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes you are correct that I am correct and such threads should just be deleted ASAP

Larimani
07-24-2005, 05:17 AM
2+2 without OOT is just like a beer without peanuts.

It's nice to chat about other topics and there are some good/funny/unwinding threads in here. It seems that moderation is necessary so that the forum is not ruined... but I think many people would visit 2+2 less if OOT was removed.

bugstud
07-24-2005, 05:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I want this threead to be taken seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

The amount of knowledge and advice I have gained from Blarg, Nothumb, Alobar, Dynasty, Zeno, bernie, and many others in this forum can not be easily put into words.

[/ QUOTE ]

how about they have added depth, perspective and many useful nuggets of knowledge that would have been difficult, if not impossible, to gain in a reasonable amount of time?

KKbluff
07-24-2005, 05:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2+2 without OOT is just like a beer without peanuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

dsm
07-24-2005, 05:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I suggest OOT be eliminated from 2+2

[/ QUOTE ]

You created a Bogus account just to make this suggestion? You wimp!

http://chomel.net/images/00000007tn.jpg

AngryCola
07-24-2005, 06:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
By the way. I want this threead to be taken seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a bit difficult for me to take the OP's post seriously.
I hope you can see why.

I agree with [censored] about some of the things that need to happen, but getting rid of OOT entirely wouldn't go over very well. Keep the forum up, but take the advice about the mods.

Oh, and to anyone else who is reading this -

What happened? Is this a Smoothcall/Vince thing, or did something happen in this forum?

07-24-2005, 06:13 AM
No, I got banned for "trolling". He didn't tell me where it occurred just that I did it. I guess I can't be on this forum anymore because I just don't know where the line is. I get carried away because I see these posts and then someone bans me because my sense of humor doesn't coincide with theirs.

If you want a serious poker forum then it should be run seriously. That is just my point but whatever. It's hard to run a forum like this and probably impossible. Just don't understand why I'm getting banned so much. I guess I"ll have to go over to cardplayer or something. I've never been banned at other poker sites only this one so I guess I'll just have to go elsewhere.

Dr. StrangeloveX
07-24-2005, 06:46 AM
I've been banned for a long time now also, and I still have no idea why. Every time I say this I have to point out that flippin kanekungfu123 got his account unbanned and his posts have got to be close to 50% trolls. Imo I don't troll nearly as much and contribute to mid-hi pl/nl plenty.

OOt is great entertainment and should remain relatively unmoderated. All manner of debauchery should be up for discussion, from cage matches with 5 year old's to Buying/Selling souls for $CHEAP$ (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=2745027&fp art=&PHPSESSID=) .

Oh yea, my original screenname was Dr. Strangelove. And gimmick accounts are hilarious.

punter11235
07-24-2005, 07:03 AM
I dont believe in all these : "Oh, I am offended", "Oh this thread is in bad taste complaints". Just ignore posters you dont like and dont click topics which are not interesting to you and move on.
I think OOT should remain unchanged cause many people have much fun here.

Best wishes

AngryCola
07-24-2005, 07:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont believe in all these : "Oh, I am offended", "Oh this thread is in bad taste complaints".

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's less about being offended than being tired of the silliness (being nice).

07-24-2005, 07:08 AM
Well, I've already started my first post at cardplayer. I can't take all this crap. Banning every day or every other day for god knows what when: "women get their period" threads are started all the time and crap.

I'm sure 2+2 is shaking that I'm leaving. Basically, I think wacki or Dynasty has gotten my language or characteristics or something down pat and is now banning me at will so I have to leave.

Wacki, Dynasty, or whichever mod is banning the crap out of me, I hope some woman cuts your dick off.

AngryCola
07-24-2005, 07:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure 2+2 is shaking that I'm leaving.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you enlighten me as to what your name was before all this banning stuff?
I'm still a bit confused about what happened in your case.

Bulldog
07-24-2005, 07:21 AM
I love OOT. It's my favorite spot on the whole net (okay, maybe second behind this (http://www.homestarrunner.com))). I've gotten relationship advice that actually helped, gotten awesome recommendations for both movies and music, and help with products (iPod, beard trimmer, etc.). I liked it better before the moderation. The thread locking, suspensions and bannings are fine, but I don't understand the need to dance on somebody's grave.

Regardless, please don't get rid of OOT. Don't let a few complainers take away what dozens of us love. If you do decide to get rid of it, give us some ample warning so we can all find somewhere else to congregate.

07-24-2005, 07:22 AM
I won't say who I was but I'm sure some of you could figure it out. No big deal anyway. It's just cyberspace. It isn't like I live in your neighborhood.

Anyway, if one of the mods decides that he doesn't like you, you may have to leave 2+2 like me.

MelK
07-24-2005, 08:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Troll" responses will tell me the elimination of this forum is the right way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations, Mat. You have just made life for the trolls easier by telling them what they can do to piss everyone off (killing this forum), which is what they want to do in the first place.

Rev. Good Will
07-24-2005, 08:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agree

[/ QUOTE ]

BeerMoney
07-24-2005, 09:16 AM
I /images/graemlins/heart.gif OOT.

IndieMatty
07-24-2005, 09:25 AM
The Forums fine.

LeatherFace
07-24-2005, 09:29 AM
I think everyone needs I don't know how to put it, how about a bunch of rainbows and smiling unicorns shoved up there butts. Its not that hard to avoid a post you know you wont like. To many bannings over stupid things. To much fighting over nothing.

Los Feliz Slim
07-24-2005, 09:38 AM
I think the question is: Can we keep what's appealing about OOT (a completely random collection of strange things and people, which/who are sometimes funny) while getting rid of the annoying posts about one person or another's peepee.

Also, remember that if OOT was "cleaned up", there wouldn't be as many fights between idiots, which are often hilarious.

I don't have these answers, but I do predict that the other forums would suffer if OOT went away. More random crap would get posted elsewhere and you'd have to clean it up from all the other forums.

zoomOut
07-24-2005, 09:50 AM
Dear Mat-

I woke up this morning and saw this thread and nearly panicked. /images/graemlins/confused.gif Please DO NOT get rid of OOT Mat. Please. This is an awesome forum and you are the king in my opinion for giving me this hilarious gift which came so unexpectedly into my life.

I have been a lurker for about two and a half years and only posted on here a handful of times but I've gotten so much more out of this than you could ever know. Like Bulldog said, I've learned a lot from OOT Mat and you just doesn't realize it because you only hear the complaints.

I know you are genuinely concerned about offending women and driving them off. I suspect that OtisTheMarsupial and some other women may have PM'd you and complained about Kane's Conundrum of Ugly Chicks or Wacki's Belly Pudge thread. This annoys me about women. These were really pretty good threads. I am female and certainly do not mind the inappropriate threads. Maybe because I’m comfortable with myself or maybe because I know a lot of guys. Anyway, I think they're funny. They do have the option to not click on these threads or even turn away from the screen it if offends them that much. Most of us are used to wading through the crap and we just deal with it. Actually, I like wading through the crap.

Of course there are idiots on here and some of the topics are off-color or just plain gross. The gold is found in the responses to these man. Look, lots of people are lonely, shy and very young. They ask dumb questions because they have no one else to ask. Who cares. Any one of these weird threads has the potential to turn into comic genius at some point.

IndieMatty
07-24-2005, 09:54 AM
We need more posters like you. Please post more.

El Barto
07-24-2005, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the question is: Can we keep what's appealing about OOT (a completely random collection of strange things and people, which/who are sometimes funny) while getting rid of the annoying posts about one person or another's peepee.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although it will never happen, it has been suggested in the past that there be a "babes" forum.

Before politics was removed from OOT a lot of people avoided this forum because of politics threads.

Where were OT threads posted instead? On the NV&G forum.

So if OOT were killed, we would still get the threads, but they would be posted elsewhere (NV&G or WPT or elsewhere).

jakethebake
07-24-2005, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jakethebake
07-24-2005, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You created a Bogus account just to make this suggestion? You wimp!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just what I was thinking. The ridiculousness of someone creating a gimmick account for this, should indicate on the ridiculousness of the suggestion.

YourFoxyGrandma
07-24-2005, 10:18 AM
oot=my favorite 2+2 forum.

Perhaps a FAQ is in order? Don't post dumb [censored] you could just look up yourself, no gimmick accounts, use the search function, whatever.

And it could include definitions of commonly used words. Like "trolling".

ghostface
07-24-2005, 11:05 AM
If the sex posts must continue, make a sexual/dating advice forum.

07-24-2005, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2) gimmick accounts need to just be banned on site. Yes some of them are well done and funny but most are lame and just piss me the hell off. So because too many lame brains are incapable of producing funny everyone needs to suffer. It is harsh but it needs to be done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know Matty didn't want trolls in this thread but C'MON!

[censored] you suck.

MrTrik
07-24-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It would certainly make my life easier. On the other hand it is one of the more popular forums. User input here would be nice. If we did can the general oot, we could still have specific other topic forums where subjects would be more specific. A movie forum, for instance. By the way. I want this threead to be taken seriously. "Troll" responses will tell me the elimination of this forum is the right way to go.

Mat

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still new here, but have been the pooh-bah or carpal tunnel at a few other forums (non-poker related). I vote to keep OOT intact for one reason. If you nuke OOT, the rest of the forums will suffer with some of the same stuff and it'll all be OT. Kids will be kids. I'm not one of the kids and would welcome some changes in what is acceptable in OOT and what is not. But a garbage bucket for the content that fits nowhere else still seems like a good idea to me.

gorie
07-24-2005, 11:38 AM
i like OOT but more because it's like a car crash, you know it's bad but you can't help but loook.

the posts here definitely don't make me like anyone. but the offensive nature of OOT is generally entertaining at the same time. i can definitely understand how you'd be worried about the impression it gives of 2+2 publishing and i think that is a valid concern.

to me, even though OOT has moderators, i see it as an unmoderated forum (which is the way it should stay, because that is essentially what makes it what it is). maybe there should be notice on the link that it is not under moderation if that is the way things are going to continue to operate.

anyway, the way i see it, the only real solution would involve a lot of lobotomies.

trying2learn
07-24-2005, 11:58 AM
I'll go ahead and pile on here -

SAVE OOT.

It seems to be an overwhelmingly pro opinion so far, and I'm in line with that too. Gimmick accounts are mostly funny - even if 40% of them suck.

I think that even posters like dead - who were VERY hard to deal with - have their place. You start banning people and the situation gets testy, but don't scrap the whole area because of this problem...there must be other solutions.

fsuplayer
07-24-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agree

[/ QUOTE ]

touchfaith
07-24-2005, 12:52 PM
I always figured this was just the forum to 'blow off steam', as long as it didn't get too personal or racial.

Hypothetical comments made tounge n' cheeck, regardless of subject matter or implication, are what make this place such a great read.

Following the other forums for that game we don't mention is work . That stuff doesn't come naturally to all of us common folk. I have to actually read (and sometimes re-read), concentrate, pay attention and all that other stuff you do when something genuinely matters to you.

The very nature of what we do (that unmentionable thing) can and does create large emotional swings in most people and I am sure we can all remember a time or two where we decided to come here and BS rather then play...just to get a break.

tbach24
07-24-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored]
07-24-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur

tbach24
07-24-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll go ahead and pile on here -

SAVE OOT.

It seems to be an overwhelmingly pro opinion so far, and I'm in line with that too. Gimmick accounts are mostly funny - even if 40% of them suck.

I think that even posters like dead - who were VERY hard to deal with - have their place. You start banning people and the situation gets testy, but don't scrap the whole area because of this problem...there must be other solutions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with everything said here. The only accounts that should be deleted should be spammers. I am going to guess that the OP = theredpill/RaiseThatMofo/Morpheus who had like 10-15 accounts and I think that as long as he remained away from posting (not reading, he can still do that) in strategy forums, he should be fine.

tdarko
07-24-2005, 01:22 PM
DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

07-24-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the majority of posters in OOT are great guys (skinny maybe, but great nevertheless). The only thread I actually objected to was the one by phil_ivey_fan ‘what should I get my slut for a gift’ . I objected because it was disrespectful to the slut, I mean girlfriend, but I never felt it reflected badly on all OOT, just on the P.I. fan.

OOT has helped me in different areas -

Blarg helped me with fashion sense; Stuey inspired me to do pushups (I can do twenty now); Bison taught me to not be shy in bed (!); Bison shamed me into flossing more; And my favorite -

Rmarotti introduced me to one of the most beautiful song lyrics ever written. How can you thank someone for that?

Please don't close down OOT. We like it.

bugstud
07-24-2005, 01:44 PM

so this is what it takes for the women lurkers to come out of the woodwork?

I guess it makes sense

nolanfan34
07-24-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you nuke OOT, the rest of the forums will suffer with some of the same stuff and it'll all be OT.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the most important and salient point. I think OOT cuts down on the noise in the other forums by a great amount.

This is all Mason and David's faults, for selling so many books. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rotating Rabbit
07-24-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

-Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

Vavavoom
07-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Save OOT...

This forum makes me laugh day after day.....However sad that makes me sound....

U need an OOT in every forum...but this forum would be worse without it...

And its not even close......

wacki
07-24-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bobbyi
07-24-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a good idea. We have dedicated forums for politics and science/math/philosophy since people wanted to talk about those things are were clogging up other forums. Adding one more forum under "Other Topics" for sex/relationships would let people who want to discuss these things find them and let everyone else avoid them while still having the general OOT.

jakethebake
07-24-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a good idea. We have dedicated forums for politics and science/math/philosophy since people wanted to talk about those things are were clogging up other forums. Adding one more forum under "Other Topics" for sex/relationships would let people who want to discuss these things find them and let everyone else avoid them while still having the general OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a terrible idea. the mix of sex, books, movies, fashion, health & fitnees, etc. is exactly what makes 00t great. While it may or may not have been necessary, the separation of Sports and "the trainwreck" has already greatly diluted the genius that is 00t. If I wanted a separate forum for every topic, I would go to Google and find one of the zillion specialty websites on the topic.

mmbt0ne
07-24-2005, 03:15 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Or we can just stop letting all the 15 year olds who registered in 2005 from starting threads any more.

Michael Davis
07-24-2005, 03:19 PM
"By the way. I want this threead to be taken seriously."

Oh, okay.

-Michael

Dynasty
07-24-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
While it may or may not have been necessary, the separation of Sports and "the trainwreck" has already greatly diluted the genius that is 00t.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was against the further seperation of OOT for exactly this reason. Seperating OOT was a mistake even when Politics was broken out.

wacki
07-24-2005, 03:23 PM
I agree that the good posters are being diluted. However, OOT is still way too crowded even with the split.

wacki
07-24-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"By the way. I want this threead to be taken seriously."

Oh, okay.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

This made me laugh.

Dynasty
07-24-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Or we can just stop letting all the 15 year olds who registered in 2005 from starting threads any more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't realize until a few months ago how many 13-18 year olds had started posting in OOT. When the prom posts came up in May, it became obvious that the average age in OOT dropped about ten years.

As a result, we get the stuff we have today and posters like Andy Fox hardly seem to post in OOT anymore.

Sgt. Hartman
07-24-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

2) gimmick accounts need to just be banned on site. Yes some of them are well done and funny but most are lame and just piss me the hell off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get on your face and give me 25!!!!!

lighterjobs
07-24-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

2) gimmick accounts need to just be banned on site.

[/ QUOTE ]

NOOOOOOOO!!!

i think there should be a gimmick account forum.

07-24-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As a result, we get the stuff we have today and posters like Andy Fox hardly seem to post in OOT anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it possible that normal people like Andy Fox and Bison simply grew out of it after a few years of posting and moved on with their life? I mean they can't stay around forever can they?

Also, the OOT directory gives the impression that many of the posters are college age. I don't really get the impression that there are a lot of 13-14 year old posters. God I hope not. That would be too awkward.

bobbyi
07-24-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I wanted a separate forum for every topic, I would go to Google and find one of the zillion specialty websites on the topic.

[/ QUOTE ]
I will recap: There have been many threads here on sexual topics that some consider to be in bad taste or offensive and it has gotten to the point where people are seriously considering getting rid of this forum entirely as a result. It was suggested that a better compromise would be to create a new forum where the sexual posts could go so that people who want them coud find them and be free of those who think they are in bad taste and so that those who think they are in bad taste can avoid them and still enjoy OOT. I also pointed out that there is some precedent for spinning off specific topics into their own forums, so it would definitely be a reasonable way to deal with this problem.

How on earth is suggesting that this one topic be separate for the benefit of those who find it offensive the same as saying that every topic should have a separate forum? Can you really not see the difference between spinning off a topic that is offending people and spinning off every conceivable topic? I hate this reductio ad absurdum [censored].

SpearsBritney
07-24-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1) I can't believe I am saying this but the moderators need to bring the hammer down on the sexual posts. they have gotten out of hand, have been down countless time, are lame and are in poor taste. If someone really wants to know about [censored]-ing on the period, pubic hairs or the size of my unit then they can search through the god damned archives.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are absolutely pathetic. Never in my life have I encountered someone as uptight and arrogant as yourself. You do nothing but piss and moan about every little stupid thing. Instead of keeping OOT the somewhat enjoyable light-hearted not-to-be-taken-too-seriously forum that it once was, you insist on making ignorant posts like this and constantly remind people how fast your ignore list is growing. I can't, for the life of me, understand why anyone who hates this forum so much, would continue to stay here and post as much as you do.

[ QUOTE ]
gimmick accounts need to just be banned on site. Yes some of them are well done and funny but most are lame and just piss me the hell off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? How on earth can you let something so trivial affect you like that. I would seriously consider some sort of anger management sessions if I were you, because that's just sad.

It's people like you that want to turn this place into a boot camp that's ruining this forum, not people who make unfunny jokes.

Save your fascism for the politics forum.

spamuell
07-24-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't realize until a few months ago how many 13-18 year olds had started posting in OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, those darn kids should leave OOT and we'd stop getting all those lame threads about kids' stuff, like Harry Potter.

ThaSaltCracka
07-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Hey Dead,

You were a worthless poster and added nothing to OOT or 2+2's strategy forums at all. Please never come back.

As for his comments, this forum is fine.

stabn
07-24-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

MarkL444
07-24-2005, 06:19 PM
i suggest the mods be more aggressive in removing threads

nothumb
07-24-2005, 06:30 PM
Here are my (unsolicited) thoughts on the whole thing.

1. Keep OOT, for the reasons already stated: it's fun when it works right, it keeps the noise down in other forums, and it's popular.

2. It's ridiculous to ban a certain type of post, i.e. sexual posts, dating posts, etc, unless they are really egregious and detrimental to the forum (i.e. the types of threads that have been banned already). There is legitimate interest in dating and sexual issues and therefore it will be discussed. And yes, those discussions will be immature and often ridonkulous due to the nature of the medium. But give credit to those few of us who try to inject some sanity, rather than crying about it.

3. Dead is obviously just upset because he got banned, and is making an irrational, superficial argument in the blazing heat of his all-important emotions. What else is new?

4. A FAQ might not hurt. I'd be willing to work on one. If people are amenable to this, give a nod here and I will start a thread for topics to include. Presuming that this is acceptable to the powers that be. I think I'd be up to the task.

5. I don't think we need to add a new forum for sex. But if we do, I think [censored] should be forced to moderate it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

You know I love you kid. Just pulling your chain.

NT

ChipWrecked
07-24-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
added nothing to OOT or 2+2's strategy forums at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting point here.

I like to hang around OOT because I'm married, have a family and a job.... in short, I don't put enough time into poker that I can move up to a level where I really need to learn new strategy. I can beat the hell out of 10+1 SNG's and my local room's 4-8 HE game already. There's only so much reading about whether AQo should be raised PF that one can do. In the post-WPT era, the boards are so flooded anyway.. you know what I mean. I remember when Ed Miller was still 'majorkong'.

But I still like to hang around, make an annoying comment or two. Maybe school some kid in how his gf is playing him.

Keep OOT!

Bob Moss
07-24-2005, 06:59 PM
Haha, I'm not going to read this thread, but I do want to mention that as soon as I read "suggestion for OOT" the first thing I thought of was "go away!"

B

OtisTheMarsupial
07-24-2005, 08:16 PM
I have some serious suggestions:

Have a private thread just for moderators. That way they can discuss whether or not to ban someone or delete a thread in private. They can learn from each other and learn from the past. A lot of forums do this.

Create a FAQ for OOT about what is appropriate behavior and what is not. This will help acquaint newbies so they won't be so offended.

Make mods use two user names - one for true mod activity and one for themselves.

-Otis

jakethebake
07-24-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have some serious suggestions:

[/ QUOTE ]

Throw otis under a bus.

[censored]
07-24-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
4. A FAQ might not hurt. I'd be willing to work on one. If people are amenable to this, give a nod here and I will start a thread for topics to include. Presuming that this is acceptable to the powers that be. I think I'd be up to the task.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will help you with the FAQ

zoomOut
07-24-2005, 09:02 PM
Hey Marsupial,
are you the one responsible for all this talk about doing away with OOT? I kinda think you are. Call it woman's intuition. Remember this from Big Steve's going away thread, you wrote it:

[ QUOTE ]
Basically anyone who has a big mouth and is not wacki-esque, (ie, white, young, nerdy, male, heterosexual) will get harassed on OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a load of crap.

Also,

[ QUOTE ]
So, women, gay men, etc... they tend to get annoyed at the idiots in OOT and report them to the mods and/or quit OOT. I post on a lot of online forums and NONE of them even come close to the vulgar harassment that OOT does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you stop PMing Mat and complaining about OOT so much. A lot of us like the humor and are not offended other then perhaps a little eye rolling.

If you don't like the threads go on to another one. That's what 99% of us adults do. We don't run to Daddy to cry. Don't you think it's a little stressful to Mat to have to listen to all your whining anyway?

lighterjobs
07-24-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you don't like the threads go on to another one.

[/ QUOTE ]

it only took 79 replies for someone to say this.

gorie
07-24-2005, 09:41 PM
why is everyone so mean to otis ?
if you don't like what otis says, don't read it.

jakethebake
07-24-2005, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because runs around trying to screw everyone ov3r. he/she/it is always either reporting threads or ruining threads or stirring up stupid crap.

gorie
07-24-2005, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because runs around trying to screw everyone ov3r. he/she/it is always either reporting threads or ruining threads or stirring up stupid crap.

[/ QUOTE ]
do you honestly think 1 person complaining is going to cause an OOT shutdown ?

spamuell
07-24-2005, 09:46 PM
Yeah I agree. Also, otis is one of my favourite posters and I don't know why more people don't think (s)he is hilarious.

ChipWrecked
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an example of 'self-policing', which for my two cents is what I would like to see the forum do. Mods take a light touch.

jakethebake
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no. that's not the point. you aksed why people are mean to otis. i don't think otis gets anything he/she/it doesn;t deserve. that was my point.

AngryCola
07-24-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Somewhere out there a person's head just exploded.

gorie
07-24-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no. that's not the point. you aksed why people are mean to otis. i don't think otis gets anything he/she/it doesn;t deserve. that was my point.

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah actually i hit respond before i noticed your edit (so i was responding to just the part about 'screwing everyone over' and thought thats what you meant by it).

anyway, i enjoy otis.

gorie
07-24-2005, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Somewhere out there a person's head just exploded.

[/ QUOTE ]

making heads explode is one of my favorite things to do.

jakethebake
07-24-2005, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/blush.gif

gorie
07-24-2005, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

minds ? whatever.

[censored]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I agree. Also, otis is one of my favourite posters and I don't know why more people don't think (s)he is hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Otis is on my ignore list but that fact that there is a general mystery as to the marsupial's gender is enough to get him/her put back on active reading status.

well played Otis.

zoomOut
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Otis is a little narc. I hate little narcs. I hate police wannabees and wallabees. I like funny men.

gorie
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Otis is on my ignore list but that fact that there is a general mystery as to the marsupial's gender is enough to get him/her put back on active reading status.

well played Otis.

[/ QUOTE ]

it would be cool if otis was pokerjo!

jakethebake
07-24-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well played Otis.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is your worst post ever.

gorie
07-24-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Otis is a little narc. I hate little narcs. I hate police wannabees and wallabees. I like funny men.

[/ QUOTE ]
i think you're overreacting.

gorie
07-24-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well played Otis.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

spamuell
07-24-2005, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems pretty unlikely as pokerjo was an sf/ny person and Otis clearly lives in vegas.

gorie
07-24-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems pretty unlikely as pokerjo was an sf/ny person and Otis clearly lives in vegas.

[/ QUOTE ]
i don't know anything about either person, i was just thinking it would be funny. i didn't actually think it was true.

jakethebake
07-24-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you're underreacting.

spamuell
07-24-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i don't know anything about either person, i was just thinking it would be funny. i didn't actually think it was true.

[/ QUOTE ]

your lies only compound your ignorance

zoomOut
07-24-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will take that into consideration. Still, she was rude to wacki and he starts some good threads and jakethebake isn't thrilled with her and come on now he has the cutest kid in the world so I have go with him on this.

jakethebake
07-24-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not to mention pokerjo wasn't a b*tch.

jakethebake
07-24-2005, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will take that into consideration. Still, she was rude to wacki and he starts some good threads and jakethebake isn't thrilled with her and come on now he has the cutest kid in the world so I have go with him on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

aah, thanks.

spamuell
07-24-2005, 10:06 PM
not to mention pokerjo wasn't a b*tch.

No, he was a bastard.

But seriously, I like both of them. And there are tons of posters I don't like (and there's no point naming them, I just ignore them mainly).

gorie
07-24-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

your lies only compound your ignorance

[/ QUOTE ]

er, what ? it was suppose to be a joke...

spamuell
07-24-2005, 10:07 PM
Um, that was a joke too.

gorie
07-24-2005, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Um, that was a joke too.

[/ QUOTE ]
the 3rd time i read it i thought it might be. but i kept going back to thinking you were serious. sexy.

zephed
07-24-2005, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are absolutely pathetic. Never in my life have I encountered someone as uptight and arrogant as yourself. You do nothing but piss and moan about every little stupid thing. Instead of keeping OOT the somewhat enjoyable light-hearted not-to-be-taken-too-seriously forum that it once was, you insist on making ignorant posts like this and constantly remind people how fast your ignore list is growing. I can't, for the life of me, understand why anyone who hates this forum so much, would continue to stay here and post as much as you do.

[ QUOTE ]
gimmick accounts need to just be banned on site. Yes some of them are well done and funny but most are lame and just piss me the hell off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? How on earth can you let something so trivial affect you like that. I would seriously consider some sort of anger management sessions if I were you, because that's just sad.

It's people like you that want to turn this place into a boot camp that's ruining this forum, not people who make unfunny jokes.

Save your fascism for the politics forum.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't stand all the complaining either.

I don't ignore anyone over it though.

Stuey
07-25-2005, 12:32 AM
When I post dumb advice in the poker forums it is always corrected. The people on this forum don't just tell you it is wrong they force you to realize how wrong and why you are wrong. It is never pretty and most people leave when faced with this cold harsh truth.

OOT just does the same with non-poker topics. It is never kind or pretty but the truth is always there and only the blind, and stubborn can ignore it. The ones that can stomach seeing their stupidity exposed are forced to change or leave. I hope I am smart enough to change and I know the site owners are smart enough to decide what to do with oot in the future. Because as always the truth is undeniable as the people here are quick to shove it down your throat.

Shajen
07-25-2005, 11:51 AM
Let's get this back to the topic at hand.

I second NT's idea of a faq. He's been around here long enough to know what's what.

Run with it dude.

Notice how all the old time posters pretty much disappeared from OOT?

Yeah, me too.

It sucks.

I'd be ameniable to deleting threads that are plain derogatory, inflammatory, redundant and/or retarded in nature.

The collective posters of oot are quality posters. There is much potential in OOT to be a great place to discuss non-poker related stuff. Now its a high schoolers guide to being pathetic. The issue I think is people try too hard to test the edges of what's allowed and what isn't allowed. Is it cool to have yet another stupid dating question? No. Is it cool when someone who hasn't dated in years asks a question to get help? Yeah. But "how biug is your dick, or have you ever had sex when your girl is on her period" crap needs to go away.

It's amateurish, and not needed. Sure, you can simply not read the posts, but more than half the posts are useless these days.

Ed Miller
07-26-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that's one vote for canning OOT. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

wacki
07-27-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have a private thread just for moderators. That way they can discuss whether or not to ban someone or delete a thread in private. They can learn from each other and learn from the past. A lot of forums do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I must say this is the first paragraph (not post) of Otis's I've read that I've agreed with 100%. Knowing why someone got banned would be huge.

Also, Mat you should be careful about eliminating OOT. OOT probably does a lot for maintaining a fresh supply of fish for the real poker players. I know a lot of people who live in OOT suck at poker. They feed the real poker players. The real poker players then help the real good poker players improve their game by interacting with them via discussion in the poker forums. They also make repeated (but failed) attempts at moving up to higher stakes.

Just a crazy theory....

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-27-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OOT probably does a lot for maintaining a fresh supply of fish for the real poker players. I know a lot of people who live in OOT suck at poker. They feed the real poker players.

[/ QUOTE ]
Troll!

wacki
07-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Truth is like surgery. It hurts but it cures.

wacki
07-27-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Make mods use two user names - one for true mod activity and one for themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Otis, please tell me, what is your logic for saying this? Do you know how annoying would be to log out, log into admin account, log out, and log back in every time you want to delete spam or a bad thread?

jakethebake
07-27-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OOT probably does a lot for maintaining a fresh supply of fish for the real poker players. I know a lot of people who live in OOT suck at poker. They feed the real poker players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything is relative. I'm pretty sure I suck relative to many here, but I have sense enough not to play them. I'll keep fishing in the guppy pond, thank you. No reason to get eaten in the ocean.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-27-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Truth is like surgery. It hurts but it cures.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah yeah. The real reason to keep OOT, though, is it helps keep the noise out of the strategy forums. Also, it allows for a place to blow off some steam and take it easy.

wacki
07-27-2005, 04:38 PM
True, however, I know 6 other 2+2'ers in real life. They all play small stakes. Many of them play 2/4 or 3/6 and lose it at 5/10. Or the play 20+2 and lose it at a $50 SNG. They also spend a lot more time reading OOT than SS. Do you honestly think OOT hasn't helped the 5/10 players in some way?

You can't have a shark if there isn't plankton and algae.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-27-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
True, however, I know 6 other 2+2'ers in real life. They all play small stakes. Many of them play 2/4 or 3/6 and lose it at 5/10. Or the play 20+2 and lose it at a $50 SNG. They also spend a lot more time reading OOT than SS. Do you honestly think OOT hasn't helped the 5/10 players in some way?

You can't have a shark if there isn't plankton and algae.

[/ QUOTE ]
Alright. It was fun for me to call you a troll, but the 'troll' did have some merit and I won't argue that. Also, I'm sure there's some smartass remark to be made about sample size.

wacki
07-27-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but the 'troll' did have some merit and I won't argue that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it did have some aggravation value, but only because people can't handle the truth. Also, many people in OOT inspire others to play poker. I know I got at least 60 people started in poker by hosting home games. A lot of them play online now.

ugh... have work to do...

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-27-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but the 'troll' did have some merit and I won't argue that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it did have some aggravation value, but only because people can't handle the truth. Also, many people in OOT inspire others to play poker. I know I got at least 60 people started in poker by hosting home games. A lot of them play online now.

ugh... have work to do...

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you misunderstood - I'm not arguing that I was right to call it a troll (I was partially right, though). I was saying I was having fun calling your post a troll, but that I do agree with you that maybe the average OOTiot isn't all that great a poker player.

asofel
07-27-2005, 05:35 PM
i'll moderate. seriously.

edit: oops, didn't quote. well, it was regarding the sex forum...and by moderate i meant masturbate...
(and no, don't split the forum off....and yes, keep OOT around)