PDA

View Full Version : Suggested Opera Music

deacsoft
07-23-2005, 09:45 PM
Alright, I've dipped into just about every genera of music there is. I've been thinking about trying out some opera music. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of some to download.

mslif
07-23-2005, 09:48 PM
The Adagio from Albinoni. One of my favorite.

Dynasty
07-23-2005, 10:00 PM
I get all my opera music by watching The Bad News Bears.

Mansavage
07-23-2005, 10:48 PM
Try some Andrea Bocelli. I recommend Romanza.

bennyk
07-24-2005, 02:29 AM
Puccini - Madama Butterfly,
Gounod - Faust,
Verdi - Traviata,

real "opera" people will tell you these are lowbrow, but they are great to most people.

also, you should listen to "threepenny opera" - it's not really opera but it is great
bk

smokingrobot
07-24-2005, 02:40 AM
Most Mozart, i.e. Don Giovanni, Magic Flute.

Bach's St. Matthew's Passion,

and Tristan Und Isolde

fluxrad
07-24-2005, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Most Mozart, i.e. Don Giovanni, Magic Flute.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded.

smokingrobot
07-24-2005, 03:10 AM
And if you want to hear something a little weirder, and less straightfoward, i would recommend The Rake's Progress by Stravinsky

youtalkfunny
07-24-2005, 06:13 AM
Funny, I was going to mention Bizet's "Carmen" as the only opera album that I was ever able to listen to from start to finish.

Actually, that and "Traviata" were recommended in some magazine article for newbs to try, along with a few other titles that I can no longer recall. I liked Carmen; turned off Traviata after a few minutes; and I never got around to listening to anything else.

Allan
07-24-2005, 11:28 AM
Mozart's Don Gioavanni is a great opera.

Verdi is an excellent chioce as well. If you want comedy try Falstaff, drama try Othello, something epic try Don Carlos.

Pucinni was one of the greats as well, although it can seem a little melodramatic at times, the music is and pacing of the operas are top notch. Try Madamme Butterfly, Tosca or La Boheme.

Struass is one of my favorite opera composers. If you wanna try something really intense with some twisted stories try Elektra or Salome. The music may be a bit much to get used to cause it is a little out there but give it a chance.

One other thing I suggest might be to pick up some DVD's from netflix if you can. This seems like a better way to go for some beginners as you have the visual element there and you can follow along with the english translation on screen. After all missing the visual production is missing part of what opera is all about. While many CD's provide booklets of the libretto and it's english translation it can be hard for someone new to opera to follow along with the words especially if they have no experience with the language the opera is written in. When I get a new opera on CD that I've never heard I try and read through the synposis then the entire libretto to undestand what is going to take place then I'll listen to it whiule following along.

Allan