PDA

View Full Version : Monster draw on flop (PP $100 6-max)

snappo
07-23-2005, 09:18 PM
Button is 27/10 over 70 hands.

Important Stacks:

Me (SB): $126
Button: $148
BB: $22

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG, CO limps, Button limps, I call, BB checks

Pot: $5
Flop: 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="red">I bet $4</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, 1 fold, <font color="red">Button raises to $15</font>, I ?

NYCNative
07-23-2005, 09:24 PM
...Call and lead with a pot-sized bet on the turn whether you hit or miss your draw. Betting it like this he either has a small set or a made straight and he's protecting it or he's just trying to steal it thinking you didn't get any part of it.

snappo
07-23-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...Call and lead with a pot-sized bet on the turn whether you hit or miss your draw. Betting it like this he either has a small set or a made straight and he's protecting it or he's just trying to steal it thinking you didn't get any part of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is his hand range really that narrow? What about a higher flush draw or two pair?

Would he really be on a steal facing 2 overcallers?

snappo
07-23-2005, 09:28 PM
Also if he does have a set or made straight what will betting out on a blank turn accomplish?

NYCNative
07-23-2005, 09:37 PM
Didn't see the other person in the pot. Probably not stealing.

Yes he *could* be on a better draw but with two people in the pot is he really making such a big raise on the strength of a draw? If just one of the people in the hand have a made hand, they won't get away from it and might even push back. So this is why I think he has the made hand and he's protecting it. Making a big semi-bluf makes more sense HU.

Voltron87
07-23-2005, 10:43 PM
go all in on the flop

snappo
07-24-2005, 12:23 AM
Assuming the only hands that call me are 2 pair or better:

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 46.3030 % 44.84% 01.46% { Jd8d }
Hand 2: 53.6970 % 52.24% 01.46% { 77-55, 98s, 75s, 65s, 43s, 98o, 75o, 65o, 43o }

I am a fairly small underdog and am even a favorite vs. an overpair. How can I figure out what my fold equity would have to be to make this +ev? I'd think it wouldn't have to be very much at all.

TheWorstPlayer
07-24-2005, 12:30 AM
Personally, I call and hope to keep the other two guys in (or at least one of them). Fold equity here is pretty much non-existent so there is no point in pushing, IMO. He'll pay you off plenty once you hit.

Voltron87
07-24-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I call and hope to keep the other two guys in (or at least one of them). Fold equity here is pretty much non-existent so there is no point in pushing, IMO. He'll pay you off plenty once you hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. what are you talking about, fe is non existant?

2. i dont think we're getting paid off big on our 4 card straight. we'll get some more $$ out of the hand if we hit our flush, but not much.

TheWorstPlayer
07-24-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I struggle to recall the last time someone raised a multi-way pot and then folded in the same betting round.
[ QUOTE ]

2. i dont think we're getting paid off big on our 4 card straight. we'll get some more $$ out of the hand if we hit our flush, but not much.

[/ QUOTE ]
This guy most likely has a set. He'll pay off plenty if we hit our 4 card straight. Probably two more half pot bets.

Voltron87
07-24-2005, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I struggle to recall the last time someone raised a multi-way pot and then folded in the same betting round.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This guy most likely has a set. He'll pay off plenty if we hit our 4 card straight. Probably two more half pot bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

i really disagree with both those points.

TheWorstPlayer
07-24-2005, 12:46 AM
OK.

fimbulwinter
07-24-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd think it wouldn't have to be very much at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right, but i think you nuked the best line you had for this hand by leading the flop.

fim

snappo
07-24-2005, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right, but i think you nuked the best line you had for this hand by leading the flop.

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

c/r all-in? that would be one massive overbet.

fimbulwinter
07-24-2005, 12:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

c/r all-in? that would be one massive overbet.

[/ QUOTE ]

nope.

fim

snappo
07-24-2005, 01:03 AM
Well then I assume you mean check/call? Let me know before I give my thoughts on that in case that's not what you meant.

fimbulwinter
07-24-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well then I assume you mean check/call? Let me know before I give my thoughts on that in case that's not what you meant.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, check/call

fim

snappo
07-24-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, check/call

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna dwell on that for a little while.

fimbulwinter
07-24-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, check/call

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna dwell on that for a little while.

[/ QUOTE ]

when i'm considering the way to play a draw, i look at:

1. the quality of my draws
2. the preflop action
3. the number of plyers in the pot
4. my position
5. my stack size WRT the pot
6. my opponents likely holdings
7. the transparency of my draws

the way I see it, 1-6 make this one to play in low gear.

fim

TheWorstPlayer
07-24-2005, 01:27 AM
I think 3, 4 and 5 are the deciding factors for me here in agreeing with check/call.

snappo
07-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Thanks a lot for all the replies and insights they were very helpful. Anyway I did shove figuring I had good equity if 2 people called (although that probably isn't correct but at the time...) and combined with whatever little fold equity I did have it probably wasn't too -EV. But I like the check/call line a lot now.

If the turn is headsup and a blank falls though I'm not sure how to play it. If I check and he bets can I really call now? My hand would be so transparent and my implied odds would be so low I couldn't see it being +EV.

If I hit my flush on the turn how much can I make. It will be obvious and I feel I would only get action from a higher flush or at best a set/2 pair will call 1 more bet hoping to fill up, maybe a second bet on the river maybe not.

If I hit my straight there will be 4 on the board, only 1 on my hand so again it will be obvious won't it? I think I see the advantages of check/call on the flop but I don't understand the turn.

Results:

Hero calls 126.35 (All-In), BB calls 21.85 (All-In), UTG folds, Button calls.

Turn: A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot:

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 8d Jd (flush, ace high).
BB has 8h 3d (one pair, aces).
Button has 7c 6c (two pair, aces and sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins . </font>

chesspain
07-24-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also if he does have a set or made straight what will betting out on a blank turn accomplish?

[/ QUOTE ]

fuzzbox
07-24-2005, 07:17 PM
The pot is a little small to shovel all your chips in. Why not call and see a turn. You can still call a pot bet on the turn to try and hit your hand on the river.

Course - you could just shovel all your money in and hope he folds, but I dont think thats the best play given the pot size and stack sizes on show here.

FiReSiStAnT
07-24-2005, 07:27 PM
was is UTG....sorry

snappo
07-24-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
was is UTG....sorry

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? /images/graemlins/confused.gif