PDA

View Full Version : Betting the river for value

07-23-2005, 08:48 PM
(First time posting a topic)

Preflop: Hero has A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif
UTG calls, 2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero raises, 1 fold, Button calls, SB raises, BB calls, UTG folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, Hero calls, Button calls

Flop (17 small bets): 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks, Button checks

Turn (8.5 big bets): K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, MP1 calls

River (11.5 big bets): 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
SB checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks

Notes: MP1 often fails to protect his hand on the flop. SB sometimes raises light preflop.

My logic on the flop is that the SB has a pocket pair, probably less than JJ, and generally does not fold the flop after having raised preflop. I figured I should take a shot at one of my 6 (or fewer) outs.
By the river, two draws have hit the board (flush and straight), and I want to take a safe showdown. But at the time, I felt that I would have been raised on the turn (or, having seen my opponents play,would have been bet into) if somebody had the flush. The straight was awkward and backdoor, but they got a free card on the flop. Looking back, there might have been a good chance I had the best hand most of the time.

clownshoes
07-23-2005, 08:57 PM
Its very bad not betting this river
Just because a certain draw came in it doesnt mean someone has it

dealer_toe
07-24-2005, 01:33 AM
you didn't get raised when the flush came in so you can't just assume someone has it. If someone has the flush, they saved you bets. The straight draw was runner runner and I'm not to scared of it. This is a good spot for a river value bet because a lot of second best hands are going to pay you off.

07-24-2005, 01:21 PM
Thanks, toe. I suppose it's a bonus also that both my opponents have checked.

Should I have bet the flop also?

Moneyline
07-24-2005, 02:02 PM
Preflop: I'd cap it. Your hand is awesome and the field is pretty big. Especially given your read on the SB's raising standards there is little doubt that you have enough equity to jamb it up.

Flop: Well played. No sense betting here because you won't drive anyone out and you probably aren't going to show the hand down without improvement.

Turn: A bet seems straightforward.

River: I think you made a mistake by not betting. You would have probably heard from a flush by now... and while a straight is possible, there are many more hands that you beat that your opponents will be willing to call you down with.

Just my opinion...

07-24-2005, 02:19 PM
Judging by the responses from on and off the forum, I've been missing a lot of river bets over my poker career.

I don't know if my logic is flawed for not capping pre-flop: throwing in lots of money to build a top-pair type hand, and giving my 4 opponents odds to draw to any sort of hand, will cost me more than I can earn back in the long run. Help here would be much appreciated?

dantheman_05
07-24-2005, 03:01 PM
i would cap here also, AKs (suited is the key !). AKS is not just a top pair hand. you seem afraid to get your $ in. dont play scared. i would cap preflop and take control of the hand. i would also be agressive on the flop. this si a big pot and you need to go after it ! if you have poker tracker, your river agression should be at 2.00 or more for $3/6 or lower

07-24-2005, 03:12 PM
Thanks dan! I can understand capping preflop, but why would you bet the flop here?

dantheman_05
07-24-2005, 03:20 PM
normally in a big pt like this if somebody flops a draw they bet out. you are in position and it is checked to you. by capping you are rep. a monster. i would also bet the flop in case any run of the mill fish decides to fold. point is i want to be the agressor here. take the attitude that this is your pot until somebody grabs it from you.

07-26-2005, 10:12 AM
It looks like this post is about to die out, so I'd just like to thank everyone for the great advice! See you at the tables!

Borno
07-26-2005, 10:52 AM
easy river value bet...

deception5
07-26-2005, 11:22 AM
Don't bet the flop. The pot is 17SB and somewhat coordinated. You can't fold to a check/raise and while you may have the best hand you have a few problems.

No one is folding getting almost 20:1. That's almost enough for a backdoor draw alone.

Cap preflop and bet the river.