PDA

View Full Version : Deep Stack Play

yabastid
07-23-2005, 05:36 PM
Tried to find this topic through a search but couldn't come up with anything.

In readaing a couple posts on this forum I have come across statements from Sossman like "If people knew how bad they played deep stack poker (referring to WSOP) they should take coinflips early in tournies to build their stack."- Please forgive me, if this is not the exact quote or if I'm slightly off here. Also, read Chief911 posting about the Stars 11R and how people don't know how to play their stacks after the rebuy period is over.
So, my question is- What is deep stack poker? How is it different from early tourny play? And can anyone point me to a post(s) if it has already been discussed? Any and all discussion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

yabastid

yabastid
07-23-2005, 11:13 PM
Anyone?
Is this a really dumb question or is there no such thing as deep stack play.

yabastid

Oh, and if this is a really dumb question, could you tell me why /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ClaytonN
07-23-2005, 11:16 PM
The way I understand it, deep stack poker is using tournament strategy that is more in line with cashgame NL play because the stack to blind ratio is so high.

With the stacks so deep, you essentially want to be making the most +CEV play

HouseBlouse
07-23-2005, 11:47 PM
Deep stack poker = more post flop play

yabastid
07-23-2005, 11:48 PM
Thank you, Clayton. I kinda get what you're saying but not entirely. Does this call for extra tight play? Could you elaborate? I'm not a NL cash game player- I play SnG's for the bankroll, so am not entirely clear on what you're saying. Any example or previous post would be great.

Thanks,

yabastid

TomCollins
07-23-2005, 11:50 PM
The biggest thing I can tihnk of, is people who misplay big pairs and go broke with AA, when it's obvious they are against a bigger hand.

ClaytonN
07-23-2005, 11:56 PM
You'd have to play NL cashgames and read posts in the NL forum to further understand my point, but basically it's pointing out retards who play with an average level 1 stack (blinds 10/15 stack 800) like they have, say, 1000 chips when the blinds are 50/100. Again, this is just how I see it.