PDA

View Full Version : Push or Fold?

bluewilde
07-23-2005, 04:45 PM
Only played 2 hands and I showed down both: QQ for 4 Qs (all-in preflop) and AA for trip As (all-in preflop). Granted, I don't think you ever really have an "image" at the $11s. Is this push too aggressive? My stack was really healthy but I didn't want to use it as an excuse for passive play, this seemed like a good pushing spot.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO (t900)
Button (t1335)
Hero (t1585)
BB (t2030)
UTG (t1325)
MP (t825)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls t1435.

Flop: (t1660) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t1660) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t1660) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t1660

07-23-2005, 04:55 PM
yeah, with your hand, and especially with the calling standards of typical 11 player, I think it's a little too early here. If BB has shown any tightness then it's probably a good push at 100-200, and at blind levels above that it's practically an auto-push. But one thing players at the 11s DO notice is a person shoving on their blinds all the time--and the last thing you want in the coming blind levels is a BB that's already loosened up his calling requirements because you've been pushing every opportunity in levels 4 and 5.

bluefeet
07-23-2005, 05:02 PM
Very similar to something I'd try. A combination of things - picking up (more than likely) a nice little pot, from a position a little less suspicious than the button (I especially like the loose/passive UTG limper in first (pads the pot...bolsters my 'must have a hand' a bit). I too sell myself on this move largely because my utter non-existance early. Also, only showing a monster or two (I'll go out of my way to show early for this very move later). But like you said, at times I give too much credit to how much they are paying attention. I would also like to have something a little more draw friendly - KJ, QT, T9s, etc. Another thing is to be concious of the style of those behind you. A LAG-donk's lack of ability to NOT call must be considered when making these not-quite-the-bubble well-timed pushes.

07-23-2005, 05:17 PM
..And I should have added that, more than your hand, the most important reason I wouldn't push here is your stack size relative to the blinds and to the villain. For the record, I probably wouldn't push A6 here. Though I might bring it in for a standard raise depending on my read of BB. Next level it's a push. With a shorter stack it's a push. Etc.

(Also, of course the BB is probably wrong to call your push here with anything less than maybe JJ+ AK+, but we both know he doesn't know that.)