PDA

View Full Version : Why would/did you start smoking cigarettes?

dtbog
07-23-2005, 12:58 PM
Reading the other thread about cigarettes made me think again about starting smoking, and why anyone would do it.

I understand that once you start, cigarettes are very addictive, and I'm not trivializing the crave to satisfy an addiction. However, I don't have this addiction because I never started in the first place.

The reason that I never started was not some mature foresight -- it was simply because I don't see the appeal. Drugs get you high, alcohol gets you drunk -- so for better or for worse, I tried these because I wanted to see what "getting drunk" or "getting high" is like. I can't say the same for cigarettes... anyone care to enlighten me?

nothumb
07-23-2005, 01:00 PM
To be cool and bang bitches.

End of thread.

NT

einbert
07-23-2005, 01:01 PM
The better question might be why do people keep doing it, especially intelligent people.

People try new things for a million different reasons. Everyone experiments. Some people learn from their past mistakes, and others keep repeating the same old ones.

Sponger15SB
Because you ain't cool unless you die of lung cancer.

ChoicestHops
[ QUOTE ]
The better question might be why do people keep doing it, especially intelligent people.

[/ QUOTE ]

einbert
07-23-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So I guess you are saying "duh, nicotine"?

Sure, that is one factore. But I have been addicted (either psychologically or physically) to things in the past and have managed to get over them, although sometimes it was difficult. It's a matter of recognizing "this isn't the best thing for me to be doing, the costs outweigh the benefits" and making a decision to stop.

Maybe I just won't understand until I am really 'addicted' to something like alcohol or nicotine, but I have experienced addiction in the past before. I have some idea of what it is about, although maybe I don't see the entire picture.

ChoicestHops
07-23-2005, 01:07 PM
What have you been addicted to before?

gulebjorn
07-23-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

End of thread.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

dtbog
07-23-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

End of thread.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Kidding aside, I think this is really the conclusion; those bullshit ads actually worked on a percentage of the population that is far larger than I would have ever imagined.

einbert
07-23-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What have you been addicted to before?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been addicted to emotional stimulation from people, emotional dependence on people, I've developed some chemical dependencies as well (alcohol, some others).

For example for a while I got so used to taking a shot of nyquil every night before I went to sleep (I did this for several weeks running), that I couldn't get to sleep for hours without it. That was a pretty tough addiction to overcome, physically painful as well. I guess this does contradict my original post in that it is a sort of "alcohol addiction". Although luckily this one never lasted over a long period of time.

And yes, of course it is possible that my genetics have simply worked out where I am less susceptible to chemical addiction than other people. But I have experienced it before, and I still fail to understand how someone can continue doing something so harmful to themselves for years and years without stopping and doing something about it.

My total philosphy on life revolves around the following:
If you can't control it, don't worry about it.
If you can control it, do everything in your power to make life easier and better for yourself.

There are a lot of things I can't control in life, and I don't worry about them. Whether or not I spend my hard earned money and throw away years of my life with cigarrettes, however, is something I can and will control. And whether you want to admit it or not, you can control that aspect of your own life as well.

RunDownHouse
07-23-2005, 01:15 PM
I started when I moved to Germany. Much more accepted over there, and I used it as a substitute for a different drug I was trying to kick - alcohol. I started with Marlboro Reds because of the brand name and I liked the color. I had no idea how harsh they were relative to other cigs.

I'm happy to say that once I moved back to the states I stopped completely, and have taken up the bottle again. I much prefer it.

ChoicestHops
07-23-2005, 01:19 PM
I agree with you - obviously people need to make a stand and quit an addiction when it's unhealthy for you.

I had a coke problem last summer where I blew alot of money on it. Alcohol and coke was my thing. It was much more psychological than physical, though. But even so there were some physical addiction quality traits with it. However it wasn't hard at all compared to the times Ive tried to quit smoking.

einbert
07-23-2005, 01:27 PM
Yeah I guess it is hard to gauge "how much is too much".

I drink some, and sometimes get high, but I don't drink six beers or every night or get high twice a day. I think drugs are fine recreationally, but there does come a point where the opportunity cost is just too great.

Maybe I don't understand because any time I've smoked a cigarrete, it doesn't really compare to the sensation of taking a shot of rum or taking a hit. I guess I just don't get what's so great about them.

That's interesting that coke has been harder for you to quit than cigarettes. I have never done coke but I do take adderall every day, and from what I've heard they are chemically similar. I feel like the adderall really makes my life easier in general, but I don't really feel "addicted" to it per se. I would miss it if it disappeared tomorrow, but I wouldn't be crushed or anything.

Funny how my dad has been totally addicted to both alcohol and cigarettes for decades yet I never seem to get addicted to that stuff. Maybe it won't hit me until I'm older or something. We'll see.

dtbog
07-23-2005, 01:33 PM
For those who smoke: what would you say if your son/daughter wanted to start?

07-23-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It really is a great way to meet people at the bars.

einbert
07-23-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For those who smoke: what would you say if your son/daughter wanted to start?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't, but I will answer anyway.

"Have fun. I hope you figure out whether this is best for you or not before you get lung cancer."

The only way someone will _really_ learn anything is from experience. But hopefully he'll figure out the risk/reward ratio of smoking, but it's not my place to control his life (of course this is all dependent on his age, but this is my take if he's 16+, I think).

touchfaith
07-23-2005, 01:38 PM
Better better question...

Why do people spend so much of their time caring about what other people do?

I am a 'polite smoker'. I don't blow my smoke in peoples face, I tend to hold my cig 'up high' like a chick would hold it, when I am around non-smokers, I don't even smoke in my car if a known non-smoker is on-board.

Next time I blow my smoke in your face...ask me why, but until then...

I don't ask fat people why they like chocolate.

man
07-23-2005, 01:44 PM
cigarettes give you the sweetest buzz. I don't understand why so many people don't understand this. try smoking when you're drunk sometime, it's the best feeling in the world.

einbert
07-23-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't.

I do spend a lot of time thinking about why other people do what they do, though. I think this can be useful for a ton of reasons, and it's definitely interesting (which is reason enough IMO).

dtbog
07-23-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you in principle but in this situation, I think yours is an overly defensive response.

I'm just trying to figure out a phenomenon that certainly defines our society. I'm genuinely not trying to be critical of those who smoke -- and I don't think anything I posted in this thread would say otherwise -- but I am curious what would make someone start smoking.

Why am I interested in this? Well, it's hard to be an intelligent person and not look at the world around you and make observations. Do I ask fat people why they eat chocolate? Not for the sake of being provocative -- but if that question caused me to stop and think for an extended period of time, I wouldn't hesitate to ask a chocolate-eating fat person who would take it the right way... and I certainly wouldn't hesitate to post it on an open forum.

Deftoner
07-23-2005, 02:04 PM
Its the buzz you get. Morning cigarette is absolutely wonderful. Drunk cigarette, cigarette after sex or a meal..all feel really good.

And hey, smoking is cool.

Dynasty
07-23-2005, 02:04 PM
http://www.counter-ads.net/graphic_elements/smoking_james_dean.jpg

GreywolfNYC
07-23-2005, 04:00 PM
And, let's not forget....
http://www.poster.net/mcqueen-steve/mcqueen-steve-photo-steve-mcqueen-6201131.jpg

Shajen
07-23-2005, 04:15 PM
No really.

After bootcamp all Marines are required to go through Marine Combat training, which picks up where bootcamp left off.

The second day after we all get processed in and get our gear, we go on a long as hump. (That'd be a hike with gear for you non-military types)

Anyway, after 16 miles, we are back in front of our barracks. The Platoon Sgt stands us all at parade rest and tells the smokers to fall out of the formation. They all went about 20 feet away and lit up. They got to smoke and stand at ease while the rest of us had to stand there at parade rest, with our [censored] gear still on our backs.

Next day, when the platoon Sgt said fallout smokers, half the damned platoon suddenly had a cigarette habit...including myself.

Uncle Sam is to blame for my habit. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Roy Munson
07-23-2005, 04:22 PM
First off, it is not a foregone conclusion that all cigarette smokers are hopelessly addicted. There are many of us who fall under the category of casual smoker. The casual smoker can go days, weeks or months at a time without smoking then decide to smoke at any given time and can go without giving no second thoughts.

Second, women who smoke are much easier to talk into sex. They have much lower self esteem than non smoking women and as a result will usually try harder to please. Their self destructive behavior feeds on itself sending them into a terrible downward spiral that a perceptive man can position himself to be the lucky beneficiary of their pain and torment.

When a man takes the time to enjoy a cigarette with one of these tortured souls he is already forming the crucial initial bond. After the encounter he can return to a smokeless existence if he so chooses.

This is one of many reasons not to dismiss smoking as a fun and fulfilling pasttime.

dtbog
07-23-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Platoon Sgt stands us all at parade rest and tells the smokers to fall out of the formation. They all went about 20 feet away and lit up. They got to smoke and stand at ease while the rest of us had to stand there at parade rest, with our goddamn gear still on our backs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.... sort of an interesting allowance to make; for what other kinds of habits would they stop official business?

Nothing makes it easier to hike 16 miles than a good smoke /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sponger15SB
07-23-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.poster.net/mcqueen-steve/mcqueen-steve-photo-steve-mcqueen-6201131.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

or this guy...

http://www.poker-images.com/images/BB01214.jpg

*swoon*

dtbog
07-23-2005, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

or this guy...

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/6711/nochips4xq.png

*swoon*

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

scalf
07-23-2005, 04:35 PM
i wanted to smoke mj and hashish better..;

and look cool

lol

yup

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warren Whitmore
07-23-2005, 05:02 PM
Because it is bad for your health.

It is why a particularly fast antelope will prance around a bit before running from a predetor.

It is why people drive motorcycles, play poker poorly, drink, or do anything else that does them long term harm. The idea is that if you do something that is hazardous and survive you advertise to the opposite sex that your genes are superior to the average population.

The advertisers (including me) of dangerous activities know this and do not mind warning signs on products. They strenthen this link through advertising where someone partakes in a dangerous activity while a member of the opposite sex is looking on admiringly.

Dynasty
07-23-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

or this guy...

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/6711/nochips4xq.png

*swoon*

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

A truly rare thing. A good FYP.

Vish
07-23-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Second, women who smoke are much easier to talk into sex. They have much lower self esteem than non smoking women and as a result will usually try harder to please. Their self destructive behavior feeds on itself sending them into a terrible downward spiral that a perceptive man can position himself to be the lucky beneficiary of their pain and torment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus, that's evil. I'll have to remember that.

Vish
07-23-2005, 05:34 PM
I actually started smoking pipes. I had heard that it was relaxing, and while it was relaxing, I continued to smoke because it just tastes and smells so good. I then took up cigars, and fell in love with those too. Only after that did I start smoking cigarettes. They don't taste nearly as good, and the nicotine is almost imperceptible to a pipe/cigar smoker, but damn if they don't make you look cool. If you get good ones, like Nat Sherman, they actually taste pretty good.

dtbog
07-23-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
damn if they don't make you look cool

[/ QUOTE ]

I promise you all that I am passing no judgment whatsoever when I ask this question, I'm honestly curious.

Why do people think smoking a cigarette makes you look cool? I really don't get it.

Vish
07-23-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I promise you all that I am passing no judgment whatsoever when I ask this question, I'm honestly curious.

Why do people think smoking a cigarette makes you look cool? I really don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really can't answer that question. It's just esthetic. Why do some clothes or hairstyles look better to you than others? I'm sure there's an answer, I just don't know it.

Another reason to smoke is that makes social situations more comfortable. It's easier to talk to someone (say, a hot girl) if you've got something to do with your hands. In the same way, people often feel more comfortable at parties if they have a drink in their hand.

Oh, and a cigarette after a great meal: f-cking fantastic. I think you can judge the quality of a meal by how many cigarettes you feel like smoking afterwards. After the best meal of my life, I had to smoke three.

Unoriginalname
07-23-2005, 06:36 PM
Wow, you have the exact same thinking as me. I've never understood why I would want to get myself hooked on cigarettes. You can't get high or drunk off them. Alcohol and other drugs make a lot more sense to me.