PDA

View Full Version : Interesting hand - up for discussion

07-23-2005, 12:30 PM
Live $200 max buy-in, 2/5 blinds. It was about 4 hours in, and I had built my stack up to about $750 when the following hand took place.

I'm in CO+1 w/ A /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
EP limper, MP limper - I raise to $25. SB (good player with about $475) calls, BB folds, EP limper folds, MP limper calls.

Flop ($95) - Q /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
MP checks, I bet $60, SB calls, MP folds.

Turn ($215) - 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
SB bets $100. I think for awhile, then call.

River ($415) - 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif
SB bets $250 (leaving him about $60). Hero calls.

This was a pretty standard hand for our table until the turn. I was somewhat worried about his call on the flop - he would have had simply called with a set or a big pair - but I had been making continuation bets like that all night, and I felt like he was probably testing me. His bet on the turn threw me off, and I called because I thought he was weak (he had won a number of pots making this exact play). Plus, he likely would have check-raised w/ any strong holding. The call on the river was tough - I tried to figure this hand out and I simply couldn't figure a hand with a 6 in it that he could have, given his lead bet on the turn. Maybe the 2 on the turn made his hand w/ A3 (I couldn't imagine him playing 36), or maybe he flopped a set and decided to push it on the turn. In either case, I would be either tied or ahead w/ my wheel. If he had 66, I couldn't see him leading out on the turn.

I'll post the results of the hand after receiving comments. Thanks.

07-23-2005, 12:43 PM
i think he can lead 66 on the turn if he puts you on AK. $60 into a $95 pot could be a continuation bet, and AK (unless it's AhKh really has no draws, so you probably can't call his continuation bet of $100 into a $215 pot...the only thing that would confuse me re: 66 is that why would he bet so hard on the river if he puts you on the wheel, which he can beat? other than that, the only hand i see as possible winner for SB is 67, maybe 6h7h given the turn play. would he call with that kind of hand OOP? there's no other hands that are remotely likely after the flop that you don't beat/tie. i'm very interested in these results.

edit: i guess Ah5h can call pf and flop and lead the turn and river.

amoeba
07-23-2005, 03:48 PM
I liked the way you played it.

I don't think I would have done anything different.

Binbs
07-23-2005, 04:28 PM
Any chance this player would called with A5 suited?

Which would explain why he bet so hard on the river and lead out on the turn. 66 is also a possibility of course.

A5s or 66.

Mercman572
07-23-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I liked the way you played it.

I don't think I would have done anything different.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, against a good player the only thing I see going this far that beats you is 66, but thats the ONLY hand that beats you right now so I like your line

RiverFenix
07-23-2005, 06:27 PM
Were you payin any attention to how he acted when the river came? Would he reraise you pf with AK-AQ? I dont put him on 66 as that line is just a little too funky to lead into you on the turn, but with a small bet

dtbog
07-23-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Flop ($95) - Q /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
MP checks, I bet $60, SB calls, MP folds.

Turn ($215) - 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
SB bets $100. I think for awhile, then call.

His bet on the turn threw me off, and I called because I thought he was weak (he had won a number of pots making this exact play).

If he had 66, I couldn't see him leading out on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not?

I'm not necessarily saying that I think he had 66 here, but this is a very plausible line with 66 if he thinks you could be raising high cards (which you were). His stop and go would take the pot (and an extra $60 with it) if you have AK or other high cards that missed.

Also, you say in your post that he stop-and-go'ed before with weak hands. Consider how effective his line is against your hand range -- most high-card hands missed, and he probably assumed that you would fold some mid pairs to the stop-and-go with the queen on board a certain % of the time.

When you call on the turn, if he has 66, he's pretty dejected, because he knows the only way to win the pot is to hit one of his six outs, or to bluff you all-in out of the pot, which he probably can't do. Luckily for him, it was the latter.

Again, I'm not convinced that 66 is what he had, but it's a very plausible line.

07-24-2005, 05:26 PM
Thanks to all of you who responded. I realize that I shouldn't have dismissed 66 as a potential hand for him to lead out on the flop with (if, in fact, he thought I missed the flop). He didn't have 66, though:

SB turns over 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif for the nuts. I like the way he played the hand - he had an open-ended straight draw and a flush draw after the turn and tried to take the pot right there. If he gets a call, he's in great shape to take a big pot if the right card falls. And, unfortunately for me, it did.

amoeba
07-24-2005, 05:31 PM
you didn't lose your stack. it could have been worse.

Indiana
07-25-2005, 10:50 AM
Nearly impossible to put him on this hand. How does he call $25 preflop with this garbage??

Indy

theben
07-25-2005, 11:31 AM
he might be leading the turn with your hand, or trying to scare you off on the turn w/ a 67 by making a small bet representing a set.

on the turn, it might be that hes actually got a set but by the river its not a hand i put him on anymore. the river looks like your hand or a 67

theben
07-25-2005, 11:32 AM
no way i put him on 66. 66 is gonna try to take the pot away on the flop but probably not check call. if hes calling with 66 on the flop, hes plannig to take the pot away strongly on the turn. since he didnt, im highly sure its not 66

top6
07-25-2005, 05:32 PM
Thank you for putting this interesting hand up for discussion.

I would make this call most of the time, and I never would have put him on the 6 - except maybe 66 as you said. I think you're right he played the hand well. You thought a while after the turn, and I assume you gave serious thought to folding the best hand. Were you thinking about raising on the turn? Or, were you thinking about the tragic fact that the Trump deli was out of honey mustard on that particular night, which was more devastating to this poster than the money I lost at dumb poker, as it prevented me from ordering my usual favorite sandwich?

I think you have to consider that he is putting a play on you, especially you, because you usually cultivate an image as a very tight player who can make a good lay down. I think that he thinks that he can get you to lay down AQ here, even if he has just a set or a pair.

phage
07-25-2005, 05:38 PM
I have seen these types of preflop calls numerous times. There are a ton of player who live to play these type of hands and go futher with them than you would think possible.

swolfe
07-25-2005, 05:42 PM
i'd go ahead and bump it up and take his last $60. there's not much he's calling the flop/leading the turn with that you aren't beating on the river. 66 is the only thing...but i'd expect to see 54, 55, 44, or even a complete bluff most of the time. possibly even QQ, KK, or AA who thought to trap you.

swolfe
07-25-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nearly impossible to put him on this hand. How does he call $25 preflop with this garbage??

[/ QUOTE ]

the stacks are deep enough that this would be an autocall with any kind of read on the OP.

TheWorstPlayer
07-25-2005, 05:47 PM
Very weird hand. I can't think of any hands for which villain's line is good. Why leave himself with $60 on the river? Who knows? Just a very weird hand. I guess I'm calling too. Only makes sense if he has complete air and is a complete retard. Really I can't think of any other explanation (even though you say he is a 'good' player). What good player leaves himself with $60 on the river in a massive pot?