PDA

View Full Version : JJ

ravensfan
07-23-2005, 02:04 AM
So, I never know how hard to push an overpair when i'm smoothcalled on a raise. I had JJ, what do I do?
I reraised on the flop to see how good his hand was... He seems a little loose, but not too much. So when OOP what to do when flop has underpairs? I bet pot, figuring I had best hand. What to suggest based on line:

Game #706387674: Texas Hold'em No Limit ($0.50/$1) - 2005/07/23 - 06:47:25 (UK)
Table "Pink" Seat 5 is the button.
Seat 1: SKICO ($89 in chips)
Seat 2: Natediggi sits out
Seat 3: sylt ($15 in chips)
Seat 4: PNDiPants ($122.25 in chips)
Seat 5: Careless ($68.25 in chips)
Seat 6: DanC ($52.75 in chips)
Seat 7: mongol ($95.50 in chips)
Seat 8: Keshav52 ($115.87 in chips)
Seat 9: foley19 sits out
Seat 10: Yogster9 ($135.25 in chips)
DanC: posts small blind $0.50
mongol: posts big blind $1
----- HOLE CARDS -----
dealt to DanC [Js Jc]
Keshav52: folds
Yogster9: folds
SKICO: folds
sylt: folds
PNDiPants: folds
Careless: raises to $3
Natediggi sits back
DanC: raises to $6
mongol: folds
Careless: calls $3
----- FLOP ----- [2h 4d 4h]
DanC: bets $10
Careless: raises to $20

stu-unger
07-23-2005, 03:14 AM
for starters why do u only have a 50bb stack, that just makes everything harder and gives u less room. as for pre-flop if u want to re-raise please don't be a member of the legion of online players who think a min-raise does anything. if u want to re-raise do it for real and make it 9-15 this will make the picture a bit clearer. all your min raise does is give away cheap info while giving villain nice ass odds to stack u with anything. on the flop his min raise is again confusing but u really need to make a read and decide if he has QQ-AA/22-TT/2hearts. my guess is he has a flush draw or a smaller pair, i would lean toward u r ahead . with how u played it i push and make sure to spike a J for closure. My line here if im re-raising from a stealer is to make it 14 pre-flop and go from there. i think your best line is to call his preflop raise OOP heads up. u will get smaller pairs to pay u off on this flop and have a lot more room givin that your hand still has some mystery.

ravensfan
07-23-2005, 03:27 AM
Unger, Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, I guess i am probably ahead... But if he does have a flush draw i'm about 66% to win, while an overpair or a set has me at 10% max. Is it that likely (ie. > 2/3 likely i'm the favorite) that i'm winning? Probably still is, but in overall EV i'd put it close.
I like ur logic though: if i'm reraising, why make it easy for him to call (he's only calling 1/3 of the pot right). The i'm in trouble on the flop. I think i'll start reraising more aggresively. For JJ, I don't like flat calling pf though - makes it too easy to have an overcard flop - i'd be inclined to fold to a bet on this, and the table seemed rather agro...

jtr
07-23-2005, 09:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For JJ, I don't like flat calling pf though - makes it too easy to have an overcard flop

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, so you don't like flat calling a raise with JJ as you'll certainly get to see a flop which may well contain overcards to your Js. But note what happened when you min-raised the guy: rather predictably he called, and you still got to see a flop with him which may well have contained overcards. Your $3 reraise preflop is an extremely bad idea. Either call him or raise him properly. Both options have their merits.