PDA

View Full Version : Should I have slow played this flopped top 2pr?

07-23-2005, 12:21 AM
$5 + $0.50 Sit & Go (1014287), Table 1 - 20/40 - No Limit Hold'em - 0:13:26 ET - 2005/07/23
Seat 1: The Degenerate (1,350)
Seat 2: Joe DAgostino (1,495)
Seat 3: bwconvention (1,635)
Seat 4: bendejo106 (2,280)
Seat 5: wikkiwikki (1,515)
Seat 6: soulsurfer (2,255)
Seat 8: dj9033 (1,980)
Seat 9: The Rube (990)
Joe DAgostino posts the small blind of 20
bwconvention posts the big blind of 40
The button is in seat #1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to bwconvention [Td Js]
bendejo106 folds
wikkiwikki folds
soulsurfer folds
dj9033 calls 40
The Rube folds
The Degenerate folds
Joe DAgostino calls 20
bwconvention checks
*** FLOP *** [Tc Jd 5d]
Joe DAgostino checks
bwconvention checks
dj9033 bets 40
Joe DAgostino calls 40
bwconvention calls 40
*** TURN *** [Tc Jd 5d] [6s]
Joe DAgostino checks
bwconvention checks
dj9033 bets 80
Joe DAgostino calls 80
bwconvention calls 80
*** RIVER *** [Tc Jd 5d 6s] [9s]
Joe DAgostino checks
bwconvention bets 480
dj9033 calls 480
Joe DAgostino raises to 960
bwconvention raises to 1,475, and is all in
dj9033 folds
Joe DAgostino calls 375, and is all in
Uncalled bet of 140 returned to bwconvention
*** SHOW DOWN ***
bwconvention shows [Td Js] (two pair, Jacks and Tens)
Joe DAgostino shows [Ks Qs] (a straight, King high)
Joe DAgostino wins the pot (3,630) with a straight, King high
*** SUMMARY ***

I "let" him hit his straight. What would you have done instead?

lastchance
07-23-2005, 12:22 AM
No way in hell. Bet the flop or check-raise it. I think betting's better.

07-23-2005, 12:24 AM
Ok i realized my mistake right away obvously, what would you
have bet on the flop?

ChuckNorris
07-23-2005, 12:27 AM
Oh dear. Of course you shouldn't slow play top 2 on a 2-colored JTx board against two opponents. Bet the flop, reraise if raised. If not, bet the turn. And bet big, at least near the pot sized. On the river, why on earth are you reraising when the straight has been completed and the guy who's been check/calling all the way wakes up?? This is poor playing on all the streets except preflop. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

ChuckNorris
07-23-2005, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok i realized my mistake right away obvously, what would you
have bet on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

T100

bluewilde
07-23-2005, 12:31 AM
Dunno if everyone will agree, but I'd bet the pot or even overbet it (120-150). And keep up the aggression on a safe turn. Another pot-ish sized bet, perhaps. In a party game I might push, or bet enough to commit myself; here you have too many chips. But yeah, the answer to the "do I slowplay [insert anything but a dominating hand that your opponets have an extremely thin chance of drawing out on but a decent chance of making second-best hands]?" is, in my experience, no. You've got to play two-pair strong because it's not a lock, and if you get drawn out on it will often cost you.

Edit: HA, now I'm an enthusiast, word

bluefeet
07-23-2005, 12:32 AM
check/calling the flop is a no-no.
check/raising would be my line. though it caries some risk no one will open, i would still give the lone non-blind a chance to represent something (and probably kick myself, having to give up the hand when a scare card hits - when he doesn't open). given the opportunity, you have to raise it hard. you have a straight, a flush, and a straight+flush draw on the board. given the unlikelyhood of the ladder, you'll still need to raise it at least to t300 or so. if you get called it's a little trickier. the turn you were gifted here is an auto-push on what should have been an extremely large pot (had you raised the flop).

there are a TON of cards out there that can kill you - and only 4 that give you the nut. you are giving must-call odds to any drawer here.

sf340flier
07-23-2005, 12:35 AM
Although, our villian wasn't getting the right price to play to the open-ender with two over cards (especially since there were 2 spades). Or am I wrong here?

If you read the villian as a good player who is predictable, I wouldn't have put him on the str8 either.

Still, not that I am the expert or anything, but your play seems a little weak-tight.

skierdude1000
07-23-2005, 12:37 AM
Definately bet out on this flop, no free cards are aallowed = no checking (you can't be sure of check raise)

Those two suited cards on flop should have a big WARNING sign attached to em

durron597
07-23-2005, 12:50 AM
I think that slowplaying JT is bad but not REALLY REALLY REALLY bad. Much better to try to get the chips in earlier on a coordinated board as other posters are saying.

However, what is REALLY REALLY REALLY bad about this hand is the fact that you pushed the river. When he reraises you when the straight card hits, the worst thing to do is push. If you think you're still good, just call and save yourself the chips.

ChuckNorris
07-23-2005, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Although, our villian wasn't getting the right price to play to the open-ender with two over cards (especially since there were 2 spades). Or am I wrong here?

If you read the villian as a good player who is predictable, I wouldn't have put him on the str8 either.

[/ QUOTE ]
The pot+implied odds are way more than enough for some random fish in a $5+0.5. And for a better player too. Why would you read the villain "as a good player who is predictable"?

[ QUOTE ]

Still, not that I am the expert or anything, but your play seems a little weak-tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

How come? Would you bet more? Betting 100 is enough to not give straight/flush or straight-flush draws good enough odds I believe. It's easy to see if they hit it.

sf340flier
07-23-2005, 01:01 AM
Good point. Predictable <> good player.

Not sure about the implied odds (even for a good player) though. Villian isn't going for the 2nd nut flush, just st8.