PDA

View Full Version : Live 1 Table Tournament Hand - QJs on a J high Flop

Cleveland Guy
07-22-2005, 10:23 PM
$50 Buy in, top 2 place 70% and 30%.

There are six left, and we are on level 4 of 100 -200.

Hero is second stack with about 3500 or so in front of him.

Hero is cutoff for this hand, and the big stack, with about 5000 is on the button.

Hero gets QJs in /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in the Cutoff.

2 Folds, and hero open raises to 500. I'm happy taking down the blinds here, or at least getting the button to fold so i can have position.

Button Calls (damn), SB folds, and BB calls to defend his blind.

Flop (1600 in pot) : j /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif

BB Checks, Hero leads out for 1000. Button thinks for a minute and pushes all in. BB thinks, thinks, and finally kicks them in.

It's about 2000 more for me to call. This is the only guy at the table who can take me out, and if I fold I still have 10xBB left. Of course if I call and win - I'm the huge chip leader

Do I call - or fold?

durron597
07-22-2005, 10:42 PM
This is totally read dependant. Remember he knows how scared you are of his stack because he's the only guy who can bust you.

skierdude1000
07-22-2005, 11:12 PM
I'd call here unless you have a read otherwise. How has he been playing?

durron597
07-22-2005, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold here unless you have a read otherwise. How has he been playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Default in this situation is to fold, unless you have reason to believe he thinks you are making a move or you think he is making a move.

skierdude1000
07-23-2005, 12:03 AM
durron, I definately think the player type matters here. He could've been trying to push him off a hand.

Cleveland Guy
07-23-2005, 12:08 AM
But he is saying the default is a fold.

I will say - the guy played solid poker.

He build his stack on pocket AA early, and a hand where someone underbet the pot, and he hit a King on the turn to win.

So I would say he was not out of line here.

durron597
07-23-2005, 12:37 AM
I mean, put him on a range. He probably has a jack with a better kicker. Maybe pair + flush draw.

If he's solid he's not doing this with a naked flush draw unless he has reason to believe you are playing too tight.

skierdude1000
07-23-2005, 12:41 AM
Ya, I guess you're right. A solid player check raising me on the flop for all my chips is scary and not a position I want to be in with a mediocre kicker. I guess the good play is a fold then.

Cleveland Guy
07-23-2005, 01:02 AM
Seems like a slow night, so I'll Durron and skier know what happened.

His techincal play was solid, but he was giving off facial expression when he looked at his cards, and the flop.

After staring him down for about 15 seconds I was able to tell he wasn't comfortable and probably didn't want a call there.

I didn't put him on AK, and even against AQ, I'm good since I also have a Q.

SO I call - and he turns over A /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

Turn and river blank out, and I take the big pot, and have half the chips with 5 people still at the table.

FYI- online I think I fold this 95% of the time.

durron597
07-23-2005, 01:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but he was giving off facial expression when he looked at his cards, and the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn you! I expect better from you dude.

POST ALL READS IN OP. For crying out loud.

skierdude1000
07-23-2005, 01:06 AM
ya, what durron said.

I think without any reads though durron is right and this is a fold.

Cleveland Guy
07-23-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ya, what durron said.

I think without any reads though durron is right and this is a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry,

Didn't mean to decieve. With the read it was a somewhat easier call. I wanted to know the proper default play.

I didn't want to seem to weak tight in general.

curtains
07-23-2005, 01:22 AM
One note: I would try to decide before making your bet what you are going to do if the button/BB move allin on you. I like to avoid bets where the answer to that question is "I have no freaking idea". Sometimes you can't, but it's something to think about, thats all.