PDA

View Full Version : Difference between a "donk bet" and the "stop n go"

A_C_Slater
07-22-2005, 08:28 PM
I would just like clarification on these two terms. I think "donk bet" is fairly new term and "stop n go" is at least a few years old, correct?

DONK BET definition--- When a player check calls on the flop and then bets the turn first to act. Or otherwise is passive and then bets into an aggressor on the next street. (Example) CO open raises with A /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif folded to BB who calls.

FLOP: 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB checks, CO bets, BB calls.

TURN: 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB bets......

Now a "stop n go" would be an aggressor neglecting to continue aggression on that street and resuming his aggression on the turn. (Example) Button open raises with K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and the SB reraises, BB folds, Button calls.

FLOP: J /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB bets, Button raises, SB calls.

TURN: J /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB bets....

Are these examples correct?

flawless_victory
07-22-2005, 08:53 PM
yes

baronzeus
07-22-2005, 09:12 PM
Yes.

SnG's are super confusing but donk bets could mean a million things and I hate them. I've added them to my arsenal against TAGs /images/graemlins/wink.gif

A_C_Slater
07-22-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes.

SnG's are super confusing but donk bets could mean a million things and I hate them. I've added them to my arsenal against TAGs /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite is the the mini donk bet in a NL tournament. Like the blinds are 10/20 you raise 3xBB preflop get called by one opponent and bet half the pot on the flop when checked too. Then the turn card hits and there's like 280 in the pot and the donk bets 20 first to act on a blank.

ZenMusician
07-22-2005, 10:23 PM
Know how many TAGs I have busted with the POB?

They just HAVE to raise huge after this bet...

(Post-Oak Bluff)

-ZEN

baronzeus
07-22-2005, 10:29 PM
Umm...I'm not entirely sure...

I think the post-oak bluff is betting a VERY small amount with a bad hand trying to represent a monster. If they raise over the top, you fold.

I think, I'll reread HOH/HOH2 wherever it is to make sure.

A_C_Slater
07-22-2005, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Know how many TAGs I have busted with the POB?

They just HAVE to raise huge after this bet...

(Post-Oak Bluff)

-ZEN

[/ QUOTE ]

Not me. I usually just call with my three outers getting 14 to 1 (plus implied odds) and bust the POB's.

But I could see it working on the TAGS that are hacks.

A_C_Slater
07-22-2005, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Umm...I'm not entirely sure...

I think the post-oak bluff is betting a VERY small amount with a bad hand trying to represent a monster. If they raise over the top, you fold.

I think, I'll reread HOH/HOH2 wherever it is to make sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is, but he means that you can also do it with a strong hand because the TAGS know about post oak bluffs and they will be offended by your display of cowardice and come over the top of you.

ZenMusician
07-22-2005, 10:33 PM
Wrong book...

Doyle coined the term the Texas road gamblers used in SS.

Min Raises and POBs are sure fire ways to identify the amateur
using them...it is up to you to read and study the player's
betting patterns to see if it is indeed a donkbet or if a clever
TAG is pwning you...!

-ZEN

baronzeus
07-22-2005, 10:37 PM
Harrington talks about the post-oak bluff in his book, attributing it to Doyle.

ZenMusician
07-22-2005, 10:43 PM
Nit /images/graemlins/wink.gif

-ZEN

EStreet20
07-23-2005, 11:25 AM
A POB is meant as a bluff to take down the pot. I've heard the term "weak lead" used to describe the method of betting a small amount, either as a feeler bet or to draw a raise out of an aggresive player. They are great in SnG's (at least at the 20+2 level because everyone I see there seems to think that any bet for anything less than ALL-IN represents weakness.

Good luck,
Matt