PDA

View Full Version : Olive Oil

SmileyEH
07-22-2005, 06:57 PM
Olive oil is the greatest thing ever. I cook pretty much everything in it. It is low in saturated fat, tastes amazing, and makes everything cooked in it amazing. Right now I have some chicken breasts marinating in salt, pepper, red pepper, oregeno, some garlic and a few table spoons of olive oil. I'll give them about 15 minutes, grill them up and make a tasty salad with tomatoes, gr. peppers and some italian dressing. My dinner is going to be awesome.

-SmileyEH

istewart
07-22-2005, 07:03 PM
It only tastes amazing with vinegar.

gumpzilla
07-22-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Right now I have some chicken breasts marinating in salt, pepper, red pepper, oregeno, some garlic and a few table spoons of olive oil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you typically want something acidic in a marinade? I think there's a good reason for it, but damned if I remember. I'll generally throw some vinegar, wine or citrus juice into any marinade I'm making.

SmileyEH
07-22-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Right now I have some chicken breasts marinating in salt, pepper, red pepper, oregeno, some garlic and a few table spoons of olive oil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you typically want something acidic in a marinade? I think there's a good reason for it, but damned if I remember. I'll generally throw some vinegar, wine or citrus juice into any marinade I'm making.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never opened a cook book, but that sounds right. I'm going to go pour some white wine in it right now.

-SmileyEH

-Skeme-
07-22-2005, 07:12 PM
I don't know, she'd flirt with Brutus once in a while.. kind of a bitch to Popeye.

Paxosmotic
07-22-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know, she'd flirt with Brutus once in a while.. kind of a bitch to Popeye.

[/ QUOTE ]
And that voice, my god.

ThisHo
07-22-2005, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And that voice, my god.

[/ QUOTE ]

in an effort to prevent a threadjack (though a funny one)

yes, olive oil is the greatest thing EVER. I brush it on fish (salmon, halibut, tuna) and then season to taste (salt/pepper/garlic/oregano/whatever you fancy) and grill it... AMAZING!

ThisHo

[censored]
07-22-2005, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And that voice, my god.

[/ QUOTE ]

+ no curves what so ever, please popeye could do way better.

eric5148
07-22-2005, 07:30 PM
I chug it straight from the bottle. Top that!

SmileyEH
07-22-2005, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And that voice, my god.

[/ QUOTE ]

in an effort to prevent a threadjack (though a funny one)

yes, olive oil is the greatest thing EVER. I brush it on fish (salmon, halibut, tuna) and then season to taste (salt/pepper/garlic/oregano/whatever you fancy) and grill it... AMAZING!

ThisHo

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, let's get the discussion back on track. This chicken is [censored] amazing btw.

-SmileyEH

Paxosmotic
07-22-2005, 07:33 PM
Tortellini, italian sausage, olive oil, and sour cream. 40,000 calories of bliss.

Macdaddy Warsaw
07-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Folks, he seriously started eating, got up, posted, and went back to eating. I saw it happen.

Diplomat
07-22-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and sour cream.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? Sour cream?

-Diplomat

Diplomat
07-22-2005, 07:59 PM
Nice. I just made some home-made spinach and prosciutto ravioli. The best sauce for it is some good olive oil and parmigiano reggiano, then tossed.

Olive oil rules.

-Diplomat

Paxosmotic
07-22-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and sour cream.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? Sour cream?

-Diplomat

[/ QUOTE ]
I probably meant whipping cream, but I don't even know anymore. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blarg
07-22-2005, 08:41 PM
It's good for you, and I'd prefer it to any other oil for the most part, but I've never seen the big thrill of it. It's oil, that's all. When it comes to deliciousness, oil is extremely dull stuff.

HtotheNootch
07-22-2005, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's good for you, and I'd prefer it to any other oil for the most part, but I've never seen the big thrill of it. It's oil, that's all. When it comes to deliciousness, oil is extremely dull stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you've never had good olive oil.

Blarg
07-22-2005, 08:54 PM
I disagree. Oil just doesn't light up fireworks for me. It's not lobster, or a ripe peach or something. It's just...oil.

eric5148
07-22-2005, 08:56 PM
I think something's wrong with your tastebuds.

balkii
07-22-2005, 09:03 PM
olive oil + garlic + ANYTHING = pure nuts

its the italian way

Mayhap
07-22-2005, 09:10 PM
One thing I really like about olive oil is that you can drip what is left of your (olive oil based) marinade and drizzle it on the grill to get that flame broiled thing going.

touchfaith
07-22-2005, 09:58 PM
This damn thread made me hungry and I had to cook.

Olive Oil + Butter + Garlic + Shrimp = MMMMMMM

Lazymeatball
07-23-2005, 01:42 AM
Olive oil's got nothing on butter.

Butter is 10x more delicious than any other oil.

http://www.wouters.com/butter/images/butter_bread.JPG

SmileyEH
07-23-2005, 01:44 AM
Olive oil and butter are in totally different leagues. You can't make a marinade out of butter, or cook at high heat, or make salad dressings, or wash your hair. Olive oil >>> butter.

-SmileyEH

Blarg
07-23-2005, 02:06 AM
You can make cakes, pastries, breads, muffins, and cookies out of butter; you can spread it on bread or toast, flavor candy, pancakes, waffles, french toast, baked potatoes, and vegetables with it; you can baste with it and fry with it. Butter is better than olive oil and not by a little. Even those Italians and Mediterraneans with their love for olive oil use plenty of buttter.

StevieG
07-23-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can't make a marinade out of butter, or cook at high heat, or make salad dressings, or wash your hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love olive oil, but in defense of butter, you can cook with it at high heat by using clarified butter.
http://www.joyofbaking.com/ClarifiedButter.html

Jeebus
07-25-2005, 08:33 PM
if you are marinating for a long time you want your marinade to be acidic so it will partially cook the food as it marinades. In the short term it is more like applying a sauce so that doesnt matter. Soy Sauce is the best thing to use cuz it tastes better.

BigBaitsim (milo)
07-25-2005, 08:57 PM
The key to olive oil is to use only Extra Virgin. The stuff labeled "Pure" is crap, and the stuff labeled "Virgin" is marginal.

YourFoxyGrandma
07-25-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Booooo. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

07-25-2005, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I chug it straight from the bottle. Top that!

[/ QUOTE ]
i can but it might not be appropriate /images/graemlins/blush.gif

MrTrik
07-25-2005, 09:07 PM
They have different uses. You'll probably figure this out eventually. Good luck.

johnc
07-25-2005, 09:11 PM
My wife and I brought back a bottle of EVO (extra virgin olive oil) from Florence, Italy last Jan. It's very green - a sign that its very frutty in flavor and high quality. Like green gold! We're kinda saving it for the right meal, mix in some fresh cracked black pepper, add some really good fresh french bread to dip in. My mouth is watering! PS. butter does not compare to this!

Hedge Henderson
07-26-2005, 02:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The key to olive oil is to use only Extra Virgin. The stuff labeled "Pure" is crap, and the stuff labeled "Virgin" is marginal.

[/ QUOTE ]

MrTrik is right. Depends on what you're doing with it. If you're frying, the pure olive oil is preferred. It doesn't have all of the compounds that give it that fruity, peppery taste, but it does have a higher smoke point.

Currently, I have three types of olive oil in the kitchen, plus four other cooking fats:

The on-sale brand of extra virgin - Sort of an all-purpose oil.

A high-dollar extra virgin (mmmm...) - For salad dressings, pastas, and general drizzling.

Pure olive oil - for high-temperature cooking

Butter - There are some things butter was meant for.

Peanut oil - For frying just about anything non-Mediterranean. Great for catfish and shrimp, and I can't stir-fry without it.

Toasted sesame oil - Essential for all sorts of Asian dishes and good for many others.

Corn oil - For making tortilla chips only

HtotheNootch
07-26-2005, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Olive oil's got nothing on butter.

Butter is 10x more delicious than any other oil.

http://www.wouters.com/butter/images/butter_bread.JPG

[/ QUOTE ]

Oddly enough, this debate highlights why many people cosider the cuisine of Emglia Romagna the height of Italian cooking. My family is Romagnol. We use BOTH butter and olive oil.

When my uncle 'Miggs' taught me how to cook tripe. The first thing he said was "you need oil and butter."

Blarg
07-26-2005, 02:48 AM
I LOVE sesame oil.

Supposedly very good for you, too, just like olive oil.

RRRRICK
07-26-2005, 03:04 AM
Finally something Im qualified to talk about FOOD.
Olive oil is a wonderful ingredient.

Dude try this.
Dice 3 or 4 tomatoes
Chop one red onion.
mix together with Salt(to taste) fresh basil and a generous amount of olive oil.
Eat with fresh crusty bread.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm