PDA

View Full Version : Would you give the money back?

loose passive
07-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Here is the background info. I go about twice a week to get a few thousand dollars in $20 bills to fill up some ATMs I have. Today I went to the bank and when they were bundling the money I thought I saw a $100 bill that had made it through the money counter into the stack. When they handed me the money I did not say anything about the suspect bill and proceeded to leave. Back at the car I had my girlfriend go through the stack while we drove and she found the $100 bill. So the question is would have said anything at the bank or if you said nothing and found out later about the mistake would you have gone back to the bank to make things right?

R

SmileyEH
07-22-2005, 06:36 PM
It's a pretty insignificant amount of money so I wouldn't say anything. I'd rather leave the $100 in the stack and make someone's day though.

-SmileyEH

shant
07-22-2005, 06:38 PM
Do you consider this the same as a situation where someone gives you incorrect change? Let's say someone thinks you gave them a $100 instead of a $20. Do you tell them their mistake? In that situation I say something, and I would here too.

SmileyEH
07-22-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you consider this the same as a situation where someone gives you incorrect change? Let's say someone thinks you gave them a $100 instead of a $20. Do you tell them their mistake? In that situation I say something, and I would here too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to be a hippy liberal but I think the difference of a mom and pop store losing $80 and a large bank losing $80 is pretty big.

-SmileyEH

touchfaith
07-22-2005, 06:40 PM
In Monopoly, you get to keep it.

Bank error, collect $80!

Good enough for me.

bholdr
07-22-2005, 06:42 PM
well.. a free $80 is nice, i guess, but giving the money back is the right thing to do. that's really all there is to it.

i tell the teller at the bank. failing that, i go back and give the money back.

Bulldog
07-22-2005, 07:14 PM
If you don't return it you are a thief.

ihardlyknowher
07-22-2005, 07:16 PM
The teller is going to be in deep sh*t if you don't return. Therefore, if she is hot, I would return it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Armchair
07-22-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to be a hippy liberal but I think the difference of a mom and pop store losing $80 and a large bank losing $80 is pretty big.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree:
1) The bank is more likely to figure out where the money went and ask for it back.
2) The bank is more likely to fire an employee over it.

eric5148
07-22-2005, 07:50 PM
I used to have a savings account at my bank. One time my account got below $200. I got a letter saying: "hello, you don't have enough money, so we took a $5 fee from your account."

THEY CHARGED ME A FUCKING FEE FOR BEING TOO POOR.

[censored] them, I'd take the money and get my sweet sweet revenge.

There's nothing like revenge for getting back at people. Although vengeance is nice too.

Voltron87
07-22-2005, 07:51 PM
im taking it.

[censored]
07-22-2005, 07:54 PM
I should give it back, but I doubt I would.

ThisHo
07-22-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to have a savings account at my bank. One time my account got below $200. I got a letter saying: "hello, you don't have enough money, so we took a $5 fee from your account."

THEY CHARGED ME A FUCKING FEE FOR BEING TOO POOR.

[censored] them, I'd take the money and get my sweet sweet revenge.

There's nothing like revenge for getting back at people. Although vengeance is nice too.

[/ QUOTE ]

you violating the terms of your agreement with the bank and them charging you in accordance with the agreement is grounds for taking $$$ that isn't yours?
Nice

If you had seen a $5 or a $10 slipped into the stacks would you have asked the teller? The answer to this and the answer to the $100 question should be the same.

ThisHo

IndieMatty
07-22-2005, 07:57 PM
I give it back, it's friggin 80 bucks and not worth the bad karma.

SmileyEH
07-22-2005, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No one sees how good just leaving the money in the stack then and putting it in the ATM solution is.

-SmileyEH

IndieMatty
07-22-2005, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No one sees how good just leaving the money in the stack then and putting it in the ATM solution is.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

I see it.

It's still wrong. The bank is your business partner, if you ever plan on being in business; its best not to take advantage.

This isn't like shopping or you and me going to the bank. OP will have to go to the bank all the time to reload his atms.

eric5148
07-22-2005, 08:08 PM
I know I violated the terms, that's not the point. Just because they put it in their terms, doesn't make it morally right.

The Goober
07-22-2005, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I should give it back, but I doubt I would.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me to. It's right at my threshold for laziness, so it would really depend on how far out of my way I'd have to go to give it back. I would point it out while still in the bank, though, since that takes no effort.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
07-22-2005, 08:50 PM
banks are greedy. keep it.

HtotheNootch
07-22-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IggyWH
07-22-2005, 09:03 PM
$80 cashier drawer at a store would get the cashier written up, if not fired. An $80 error for a bank teller means they'll lose their job.

You want someone to lose their job over your greed to keep $80?

dogsballs
07-22-2005, 11:28 PM
screw the bank.

Don't you know, banks never make mistakes. At least that's what they've always said when you query something.

GuyOnTilt
07-22-2005, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know I violated the terms, that's not the point. Just because they put it in their terms, doesn't make it morally right.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. What? It's IMMORAL for a bank to charge fees or have minimums? That's a pretty ridiculous statement. And it's not like you're being forced to have this account. Just get a new account (http://home.ingdirect.com/open/open.html) with no fees or minimums.

GoT

HopeydaFish
07-23-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HopeydaFish
07-23-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
$80 cashier drawer at a store would get the cashier written up, if not fired. An $80 error for a bank teller means they'll lose their job.

You want someone to lose their job over your greed to keep $80?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the only really valid reason to return the money. I could care less about "stealing" from the bank (IMHO they steal from us almost every day), but I wouldn't want someone to lose their job because of me.

eric5148
07-23-2005, 01:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
LOL. What? It's IMMORAL for a bank to charge fees or have minimums? That's a pretty ridiculous statement. And it's not like you're being forced to have this account. Just get a new account with no fees or minimums.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

They took $5 when $5 was a lot of money to me. I'm still bitter about it. I just need to vent.

ThisHo
07-25-2005, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

add this to the list of posts from the last week on OOT that make me worry about society.

how can it be OK to keep the extra $80?
The bank is greedy, therefor I have a right to $80 that isn't mine?
The bank screwed me out of $5 when I went below the established minimum account balance.

Perhaps there is a contingent here that would like everyone to work for the government and then the government can in turn hand out equitable goods to all citizens. Clearly businesses making profits at the expense of poor consumers is a bad idea.

ThisHo

Jeebus
07-25-2005, 08:12 PM
Right after I graduated high school, I went on a trip to Germany. I went ahead and got about 1500 changed into German money at the big bank downtown (I think it was Bank One at the time) and prepared to have fun in Germany. I found out when a shop owner tracked down the tour group I was with that one of the 100 mark bills was counterfeit. I had no recourse with the bank to get my 80 dollars or so back and neither did the store owner. Why give back the money when they make a mistake in your favour when they wont do the opposite?

stanky
07-25-2005, 08:22 PM
I don't like taking anything that is not mine, but that's just me.

TheCroShow
07-25-2005, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In Monopoly, you get to keep it.

Bank error, collect $80!

Good enough for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree lol.

also, i think that is funny about the bank sending you a letter to say you are too poor, so they are going to take your money. they did the same for me, i had like 23 bucks in my account or w/e, they took out 5 bucks or more, and of course i couldn't take out any money from the atm because you have to make withdrawals in dividends of 20....my bank was waaaaaaaay too far to drive to, so i said EFF it, keep my money! (was a 2nd acct btw =p) but it still kinda pissed me off, but made me laugh at the same time..such a tease

stanky
07-25-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

add this to the list of posts from the last week on OOT that make me worry about society.

how can it be OK to keep the extra $80?
The bank is greedy, therefor I have a right to $80 that isn't mine?
The bank screwed me out of $5 when I went below the established minimum account balance.

Perhaps there is a contingent here that would like everyone to work for the government and then the government can in turn hand out equitable goods to all citizens. Clearly businesses making profits at the expense of poor consumers is a bad idea.

ThisHo

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally those capitalist pigs will pay for their crimes, eh? Eh comrades?

Duke
07-25-2005, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why give back the money when they make a mistake in your favour when they wont do the opposite?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the first argument I like. When you're dealing with an entity that will unilaterally screw you if the tables were turned, I don't feel that it's wrong to play their game too.

It is sad, though, that the teller may get in trouble for it.

~D

poker-penguin
07-25-2005, 08:35 PM
Death to the Imperialist Fatcat Capitalist Pig Dogs!

Edit:

Yes and No, in that order. That way, if the cashier didn't check, it's their own damn fault.

MagicMan08
07-25-2005, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is the first argument I like. When you're dealing with an entity that will unilaterally screw you if the tables were turned, I don't feel that it's wrong to play their game too.

[/ QUOTE ]