PDA

View Full Version : RIAA + I2hub settlement deal

phil_ivey_fan
07-22-2005, 06:01 PM
so just got off the phone w/ the settlement ppl. I did not agree to settle yet, but here's the information I got from them.

Right now I am classified as a "John Doe -- under 2500 shares" which corresponds to a settlement amount of $3,750. If I don't settle before Aug. 12th, my classification jumps up to "Named -- under 2500 shares" and the settlement amount becomes $4,500.

There's the meat of it. :-(

minor details: once you decide to settle, they send you 2 forms for the settlement which layout dates to pay by, credit card authorization forms, agreement to never do it again and to destroy your current collection of mp3s, etc. Then he asked, "so, do we have a settlement?", to which I replied, "no, I still need to go over the forms with my lawyer before I make a decision." He said they could send me a blank one with just the paragraphs...nothing about dates and amounts and anything important. That sounds kinda fuked up, so I was told him to go ahead and send me the blank ones and I'll see what's there, talk to my lawyer, and get back to you sometime next week.

So basically, I'm going to have to pay $3750 before Aug 11.

- Tron
([censored] them, I'm never going to pay for another CD again. Binary newsgroups boooooo yah)

http://128.61.99.133/funny/riaa3.jpg

http://128.61.99.133/funny/riaa1.jpg

phil_ivey_fan
07-22-2005, 06:03 PM
one thing that kinda sucks is that I only downloaded about 50 songs using i2Hub, but I had well over 4000 in my collection from freshman-junior year.

bahhhh, there goes the bank roll /images/graemlins/frown.gif
guess its time to give up poker anyways, as I'll be graduating in December and need to start looking for a job and finishing my last semester at school.

[censored]
07-22-2005, 06:09 PM
Man that [censored]-ing sucks.

Did you try a counter offer of like $2500?

siccjay
07-22-2005, 06:23 PM
I vaguely remember the story. How did you get caught again?

TheIrishThug
07-23-2005, 12:24 PM
bump

would like to know how u got caught, and also these comics r great.

einbert
07-23-2005, 12:41 PM
I wouldn't give them a goddamn cent.

I'm serious. I will take my chances with whatever, but I wouldn't pay that money.

They're basically taking advantage of the fact that people are going to get scared and pay up when really their case isn't going to hold up in court if you fight well.

If you really respect yourself you won't pay them.

mason55
07-23-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They're basically taking advantage of the fact that people are going to get scared and pay up when really their case isn't going to hold up in court if you fight well.

[/ QUOTE ]

And how much do you think this magical lawyer is going to cost you? Zero dollars?

einbert
07-23-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And how much do you think this magical lawyer is going to cost you? Zero dollars?

[/ QUOTE ]

I recognize this part of the equation.

It definitely seems to me that just bending over and grabbing the ankles is a bad play. Even if I have to sacrifice some $EV (depending on how much it is) it might be worth it to stand up for myself.

Of course, a more detailed analysis might come up with the best solution easily being just pay them, but this just doesn't seem right to me intuitively. Maybe it's the case though.

But I will need more to convince me than "lol lawyers aren't free".

phil_ivey_fan
07-23-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It definitely seems to me that just bending over and grabbing the ankles is a bad play. Even if I have to sacrifice some $EV (depending on how much it is) it might be worth it to stand up for myself.

Of course, a more detailed analysis might come up with the best solution easily being just pay them, but this just doesn't seem right to me intuitively. Maybe it's the case though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't go out and get any price quotes, but its most likely going to cost just the same if not more than the $4g settlement. Also, that doesn't even guarantee a victory in which case I will have to pay the RIAA a larger fine and lawyer fees. I could get mathematical on it estimating probability of victory and cost of lawyer, but its just not worth it.

Besides by settling, its over and done with and I won't have it constantly lurking in the back of my mind. I swear to god I couldn't sleep more than 1 or 2 hours a night for the first 2 weeks or so after I found out I was on the list.

BACKGROUND: I go caught sharing files on i2hub. dumb of me, but I felt it was safe and didn't look into it as much as I should have.

phil_ivey_fan
07-23-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't go out and get any price quotes, but its most likely going to cost just the same if not more than the $4g settlement. Also, that doesn't even guarantee a victory in which case I will have to pay the RIAA a larger fine and lawyer fees. I could get mathematical on it estimating probability of victory and cost of lawyer, but its just not worth it.

Besides by settling, its over and done with and I won't have it constantly lurking in the back of my mind. I swear to god I couldn't sleep more than 1 or 2 hours a night for the first 2 weeks or so after I found out I was on the list.

BACKGROUND: I go caught sharing files on i2hub. dumb of me, but I felt it was safe and didn't look into it as much as I should have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, I think its +EV to settle. Oh, and no, there was no negotiating the settlement price. So if anyone feels sorry for me, you can PM and donate money into my party account (which will be sadly drained to pay the man off)

Morpheus
07-23-2005, 08:01 PM
Why the hell do you want to settle ? They can't throw you in jail. They may be able to hurt your credit , though but that's about it. If they called me on the phone, I would laugh and hang up. They are targeting you because you are in college. Wise up man or you'll be paying money left and right forever.

GooperMC
07-23-2005, 09:31 PM
You might want to contact the EFF: http://www.eff.org/

They are a non profit group that has in the past fought the MPAA, RIAA, DMCA and a whole lot of other evil acronyms. I am not sure if they will give you level representation but they may be able to give you some advice.

phil_ivey_fan
07-24-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why the hell do you want to settle ? They can't throw you in jail. They may be able to hurt your credit , though but that's about it. If they called me on the phone, I would laugh and hang up. They are targeting you because you are in college. Wise up man or you'll be paying money left and right forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's just straight up ignorant. please think before you speak.

Credit is actually a pretty important concept. I'd prefer to keep mine as high as possible.

They are targeting colleges students because colleges will not up a big fight about forking over personal information while on the other hand, Private ISPs (Charter Cable Provider comes to mind) have something to lose by forking over the information (customers).

MrTrik
07-24-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First point ... they cannot trash credit if they didn't extend credit. Now, if something is signed in terms of a settlement and you fail to pay you could get trashed on the credit side of things.

Secondly, they can in fact find a way to get criminal charges brought up if they can convince a prosecutor they have the evidence to show that fraud or theft or conspiracy was committed. This is the most likely long term outcome. Some college kids will end up on probation or maybe even some more serious punishment before all this is over. Prior to that though, this thing will end up before the high court though.

Dr. StrangeloveX
07-25-2005, 12:45 AM
[censored] them, I wouldn't pay [censored]. Let them take you to court. [hint: unless they decide to make an example of you they'll [censored] off]. I would never have answered any of their attempts to contact me in the first place.