PDA

View Full Version : we can never have too many JJ posts, right?

bluefeet
07-22-2005, 04:39 PM
$25+2 Stars Turbo (early, no read on PF raiser...notes show BB is very weak)

- just call PF?
- push or fold to the flop bet?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t1070)
BB (t1790)
UTG (t1230)
UTG+1 (t1410)
MP1 (t1450)
MP2 (t1470)
MP3 (t2375)
Hero (t1475)
Button (t1230)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t150</font>, MP1 calls t150, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t150, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls t120.

Flop: (t615) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks,<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t300</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero ???

Results
<font color="white">Hero pushes (after much internal debate)
..folds around </font>

Matt R.
07-22-2005, 04:47 PM
That's a pretty darn big preflop raise... I definitely wouldn't re-raise as that would be too much of your stack. I like calling to try to flop a set since you have MP1 in, but his flop bet seems rather weak. I would think it could easily be a missed AK or something like TT. Or it could be a bet from AA, KK, QQ (maybe AQ) that wants a call or a raise. No reads on the raiser makes this a really difficult hand, but I'd lean towards calling the preflop raise and folding on the flop. Calling could leave you open to getting blown off the pot on the turn and 300 is a lot of your stack -- and re-raising obviously pot commits you. Since you still have plenty of chips to play with if you fold, I'd fold this without a read.

Edit -- I think his preflop raise size sways my decision to a fold on the flop. I'd expect to see AA, KK, QQ here from a 5x BB raise more often than AK or TT.

11t
07-22-2005, 05:28 PM
This is a pretty tricky hand, I don't normally re-raise with JJ in level 2 and I'm not going to advocate that here.

What sucks is by the BB being in the hand he increased the size of the pot enough that you won't be able to play it cheaply. You have no information about the villain besides the preflop raise and the continuation bet into two people. I'm assuming you called in order to see a decent flop (undercards preferably) and you did get a semi-decent flop.
I dunno calling this flop bet is not something I want to do and without a good read I really don't want to stack myself off early in such a marginal position.

I am weak tight and fold the flop without a read.

Of course if he is the type to raise 5xbb utg with 88-tt (and hopefully not aq) in order to avoid seeing a flop, then this is a call/raise the turn situation.