PDA

View Full Version : Tom Petty in Indy.

OrianasDaad
07-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Went to the show last night, and had a blast, even though it got shut down early due to lightning and heavy rain.

The Black Crowes were awesome. I haven't been paying attention for quite some time, but have always liked them.

Much of the stuff that I hadn't heard from them was very Zeppelin-esque. I thought it was notable that they didn't play "Hard to Handle", which was probably their biggest hit. The guitar work was some of the best I've seen at a live show, albeit my limited concert experience. It's evident that Jimmy Page is an influence on the guitarists for them.

Tom Petty was good, as usual. I've seen him once before, during the Full Moon Fever tour with The Replacements. He started off with several of his bigger hits and then played some stuff off of Wildflowers and Full Moon Fever. Evidently, he played an Animals cover, but I (sadly) missed that one while using the bathroom. About an hour into the set, during "Don't Come Around Here No More", the rain started to come down pretty heavy. Then lightning struck something nearby and power went out at Deer Creek. It was back up a few seconds later, but the set display behind the Heartbreakers got a little futzed. A couple of songs later, during "Refugee" the power went out again. Thankfully, it was during the chorus and the crowd kept singing it. When power came back on for the second time, the band was able to merge right back into the song with the crowds' help. They finished the song onstage in darkness.

After that Tom Petty says "You guys have got to go now."

Overall, it was a good concert. I would rather it have been dry, but it was a very memorable experience.

The Crowes performance was second only to the time I've seen Tesla live, and if you are a fan of Zeppelin, American Soul-Rock, or even just the Black Crowes you shouldn't miss it. They are one of those bands who are probably better live than they are in the studio.

Tom Petty was his usual legendary self.

slickpoppa
07-22-2005, 02:46 PM
I saw Petty several years ago in Saratoga and he was great. In the encore he did and awesome cover of Van Morrison's "Gloria"

Indiana
07-22-2005, 02:55 PM
My boss went and said it was great. Man that storm was something scary last night. I was in a tourney on stars and woke up to pocket kings around the bubble. I raised in early position and the lightening shut off the power before it got back around to me. Sucked because I was waiting for that hand all night.

Cannot believe you guys were outside at a concert with that
weather!

Indy

other1
07-22-2005, 04:12 PM
I'm going to see the show at Borgata Sunday night.. can't wait.

Lucking the Crowes are not opening at this one.. Lets just say I don't agree with OP's impression of them, and I have seen them live multiple times.

ChoicestHops
07-22-2005, 05:16 PM
Wow, I can't believe you think the Crowes are bad live. Ive seen both Tom Petty and the Crowes in concert and they are both excellent.

DarkForceRising
07-22-2005, 05:24 PM
I saw Petty for the 3rd time recently. Yes, the Crows were great but I was a little disappointed with TP.

The show was a class act and the band was tight but it was the usual songs. I realize you gotta please the mob, though.

In '02 he played "Even the Losers" an obscure song from "Your Gonna Get It" and a couple of other surprises which I forget. I've never understood why somebody with 30 years of hits plays covers. Sometimes BAD covers.

As a long time fan I'd like to hear "One Story Town", "Dogs on the Run", "Kings Road" and a host of others live. It will probably never happen, though.