PDA

View Full Version : Cheers + Frasier

pmuir10
07-22-2005, 01:26 PM
ok quick question. is it general knowledge that Frasier is a spinoff of Cheers? i have a friend who knows cheers and knows frasier but has no idea that the two are connected. I claim that he should know that Frasier is a spinoff, and he says its not general knowledge that the two are connected. who is right? Should an average 20 year old know this?

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-22-2005, 01:28 PM
"Your friend" is an idiot.

dstraff1
wtf?!! no way that is general knowledge

Patrick del Poker Grande
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You also are an idiot.

dabluebery
07-22-2005, 01:31 PM
It's not guaranteed that a 20 year old has even seen Cheers. New episodes stopped when they were around 8 years old. It can go either way.

I'm 24 and have seen probably half of Cheers episodes, from syndication, but that's probably not that common. Meh.

jakethebake
07-22-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You also are an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice! Also true.

Paluka
07-22-2005, 01:34 PM
If he "knows cheers" and "knows frasier" then he is an idiot. Obviously if he has never seen Cheers than he isn't.

[censored]
07-22-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You also are an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice! Also true.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahh cut him a break, he could very well be retarded. there just is not enough evidence to decide either way.

highlife
07-22-2005, 01:35 PM
does he go to bovine university?

Bulldog
07-22-2005, 01:36 PM
spinoff: (3) Something derived from an earlier work, such as a television show starring a character who had a popular minor role in another show.

If you know Kelsey Grammer played a psychiatrist named Frasier who had a child with a character named Lilith in both shows, and you can read the definition above, you should be able to figure out that Frasier was a spinoff of Cheers. The two shows were both in the top ten of all prime-time TV for several years each. I think we have a pretty good case for this to be common knowledge.

private joker
07-22-2005, 01:41 PM
I don't think it's possible to see any, say, THREE given episodes of Cheers and not see Frasier make a supporting appearance. Once that happens, you'd have to be an imbecile not to make the connection. It's the same actor and same name. Coincidence?

I can see not realizing Family Matters was a spin-off of Perfect Strangers, or not knowing that The Facts of Life and Different Strokes are related, but Cheers and Frasier? Get real.

jakethebake
07-22-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ahh cut him a break, he could very well be retarded. there just is not enough evidence to decide either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. Let's find out.

dstraff1, have you ever been told to stay home so your sports team could win by not having to play you?

swede123
07-22-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. Let's find out.

dstraff1, have you ever been told to stay home so your sports team could win by not having to play you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, do you sometimes find yourself being beaned by your own team-mates, perhaps more frequently than other kids being beaned?

Swede

moondogg
07-22-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

...Family Matters was a spin-off of Perfect Strangers ...

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding? Well, I learned my one new thing for the day.

wayabvpar
07-22-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

...Family Matters was a spin-off of Perfect Strangers ...

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding? Well, I learned my one new thing for the day.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only important thing to know is that unlike Cheers and Frasier, these shows were painfully unfunny.

pmuir10
07-22-2005, 02:27 PM
ok. i do agree, he probably is retarded.

thank you

M2d
07-22-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can see not realizing Family Matters was a spin-off of Perfect Strangers, or not knowing that The Facts of Life and Different Strokes are related, but Cheers and Frasier? Get real.

[/ QUOTE ]
where does All in the Family/The Jeffersons fit in?

pmuir10
07-22-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Family Matters was a spin-off of Perfect Strangers

[/ QUOTE ]

did not know this

TheMainEvent
07-22-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can see not realizing Family Matters was a spin-off of Perfect Strangers

[/ QUOTE ]

I was very close to disputing this but saved myself some embarrasment by googling.

BTW, anyone remember Balki's short-lived career as a rapper?

youtalkfunny
07-23-2005, 04:58 AM
Who can name the show that was a spin-off of a spin-off?

All three (oringinal show, spin-off, and spin-off of the spin-off) were from the '70s.

nervous
07-23-2005, 05:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

All three (oringinal show, spin-off, and spin-off of the spin-off) were from the '70s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mary Tyler Moore, Rhoda, Phyllis?

nervous
07-23-2005, 05:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's possible to see any, say, THREE given episodes of Cheers and not see Frasier make a supporting appearance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Frasier wasn't in seasons 1 or 2.

I have seen (to what I believe) every episode of Cheers and love the show. I however have never seen a second of Frasier, but know that the two are related. Does that make me better or worse than the OP's friend?

BTW, Wasn't Laverne and Shirley a spinoff of Happy Days?

youtalkfunny
07-23-2005, 02:52 PM
Right on Laverne and Shirley.

Wrong on Rhoda and Phyllis--both were MTM spin-offs, neither was a spin-off of a spin-off.

ddubois
07-27-2005, 05:52 PM
I vaguely seem to recall liking Perfect Strangers, but it was so long ago I can't be sure.

But how in the world do shows as awful as Family Matters stay on air for 9 seasons?

DemonDeac
07-27-2005, 05:58 PM
your friend doenst KNOW these shows then

youtalkfunny
07-28-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If anyone still cares, "All in the Family" begat "Maude" begat "Good Times".

Colonel Kataffy
07-28-2005, 03:21 AM
Youre friend is so off that there is no point in trying to reason with him. I suggest you merely punch him in the face.

ChipWrecked
07-28-2005, 03:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If anyone still cares, "All in the Family" begat "Maude" begat "Good Times".

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly nobody does. Can anybody name how many shows were spun out of 'All in the Family'?

unreal_nh
07-28-2005, 04:21 AM
never seen either one

BoogerFace
07-28-2005, 11:13 AM
Anyone under 25 wouldn't remember Cheers.

Cheers went of the air when? Maybe '90?

youtalkfunny
07-28-2005, 03:14 PM
I'll go with "Maude", "The Jeffersons", "Archie Bunker's Place", and didn't Sally Struthers get a short-lived show?