PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Charity Debate

Voltron87
07-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Ok, this is about something during a baseball game, but its not about baseball. Its mostly an ethics thing, but I'm not putting it in politics because those people are idiots.

During every Yankee game on YES (yankees entertainment station, they carry 90% of yankee games and are owned by the yankees), around the 5th-6th inning the announcer cuts away to this charity notice. Circuit City donates 1,000$ to the boys and girls club of ny (or something along those lines) for every home run a yankee hits every stadium. some other company gives 100$ for every strikeout thrown by a yankee pitcher. the companies are prominently featured and their logos are up on the screen for a while.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this?

Points raised in our discussion

"theyre buying ad time in the name of charity. if they want to give to charity they should just do it an be done with it. do they expect something in return for this? (the ad time)"

"well it raises awareness that there are charities for this, and viewers will be more inclined to donate money. so if it leads to more charity money, its a good thing"

discuss

jakethebake
07-22-2005, 01:05 PM
What could anyone find possibly wrong with it? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Voltron87
07-22-2005, 01:09 PM
that theyre using a donation to charity as a way to get advertising. would you find anything wrong if a company donated money to charity not because it wanted to see good things done but so it could get advertising?

jakethebake
07-22-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
that theyre using a donation to charity as a way to get advertising. would you find anything wrong if a company donated money to charity not because it wanted to see good things done but so it could get advertising?

[/ QUOTE ]

this has to be the most idiotic thing i've ever heard. why would this be wrong? frankly i'm much more pissed that companies i own stock in feel they have the right to give my money away at management's whim.

Voltron87
07-22-2005, 01:25 PM
well we know jakes opinion now. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

what i wrote in the posts is not my exact personal belief. im just saying what someone who did believe it would say. a lot of people i spoke with did think it was not a good thing, that this is not ethical. of course, theyre also stupid college students.

dabluebery
07-22-2005, 01:26 PM
I really don't want to get into this, but what if they were using some of their advertising budget as a means of donating to charity?

There are a plenty of other legitimate complaints you can make about large corporations and their policies before you have to nitpick like this.

Voltron87
07-22-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are a plenty of other legitimate complaints you can make about large corporations and their policies before you have to nitpick like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not posting this because I'm outraged by it. I'm not. I'm posting it because people might think it was interesting to discuss. I find ethical questions interesting. And you're right, there are more important things. But this is OOT.

jakethebake
07-22-2005, 01:30 PM
Well the charities come begging for these companies to sponsor them. The companies don't just do it on their own so I don't know why someone would complain. That's just dumb.

BettyBoopAA
07-22-2005, 01:45 PM
This nothing wrong with this. The companies arern't saying we will give you this money if you advertise us. The charaties are the ones that are making the marketing pitch to the companies.

stabn
07-22-2005, 01:48 PM
I'm sorry but there is nothing wrong with this. Those companies get some advertising and those charties get some a) money and b) publicity. It's a win-win situation for everyone involved.

Nathan183
07-22-2005, 01:51 PM
There is absolutely nothing even remotely wrong with this. I don't see how anyone could think that there is. Companies should be recognized for their donations. It is a legitimate form of advertising, instead of the money going to the station though, it is going to charity. Nothing wrong with that.

Voltron87
07-22-2005, 01:51 PM
the argument is not that its a bad thing, obviously money for charity is a good thing. the argument is that the company is donating money for charity to get advertising, which a lot of people think is dishonest.

jakethebake
07-22-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
which a lot of people think is dishonest.

[/ QUOTE ]

no

Voltron87
07-22-2005, 01:56 PM
ok, a lot of people i spoke to yesterday.

jakethebake
07-22-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ok, a lot of people i spoke to yesterday.

[/ QUOTE ]

so were you here....

http://www.omh.state.ny.us/omhweb/facilities/mhpc/mhpc.jpg

or here?

http://www.oakvilleoso.org/FloorHockey/Photos/710-701_13.jpg

stabn
07-22-2005, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

think is dishonest

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't.

Bulldog
07-22-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is absolutely nothing even remotely wrong with this. I don't see how anyone could think that there is. Companies should be recognized for their donations. It is a legitimate form of advertising, instead of the money going to the station though, it is going to charity. Nothing wrong with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget about the network donating the airtime, which is a valuable contribution to making the whole thing happen.