PDA

View Full Version : that somewhat new belle and sebastian matador b-sides comp

smokingrobot
07-22-2005, 04:14 AM
I know there are people who like B&S. And granted, i like the boy with the arab strap. and im a big fan of Looper, however:

B&S continaully write the same styled song over and over and over again. i almost lost my [censored] in the car listening to their new compilation 2 disc limited edition blah blah blah cd.

its all well and good to have variations on a song or an idea, but to have an entire ouvre that is just rehashing the same acoustic guitar, brittish-folk nick drake-ish/donovan a la poppy drums over and over again, at least stop after the 3rd or 4th album.

am i the only one is this world who realizes that putting one song of theirs on repeat could suffice for everything they have ever done?

ryanghall
07-22-2005, 04:28 AM
Damn, I thought you were talking about the TV show Belle and Sebastian.

That was my favourite show when I was a kid and I can't even find episodes anywhere on the internet.

Let me know if you can find any!!
Ryan

Tuco
07-22-2005, 05:38 AM
I dunno about their newer stuff, but Tigermilk, If your feeling sinister and BWTAS are three amazing albums. I have Dear Catastrophe Waitress but only listened to it a couple times through. I've yet to hear the newest three albums, but now that I am reminded i'll have to pick them up.

I'm not sure why you feel they should have a huge range musically. Do you feel the same way about Radiohead or Dave Matthews? Tigermilk for one is a very diverse album. The first three songs are brilliant and it finshes with great tracks like My wanderting days are over and I don't love anyone. I could apply your critisism of B&S to any number of bands. If you are referring to the last three albums specifically, then I can't comment because i've only heard a few of the songs.

I really like them, but I have several friends whose music taste I respect that think the same as you. I suspect you really have to enjoy the nuances of Stuart Murdoch's voice and the English point of view to get the most out of it.

Tuco.

sfer
07-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Same song over and over, I thought you were taking about post-Exile Stones or AC/DC.

smokingrobot
07-22-2005, 06:25 PM
Im not even sure i could eloquently descibe what im exactly talking about when i say i feel like its very repeitious. BWTAS is an amazing album.

Maybe its just the b-sies and EP collections that seemingly suck.

I mean, the songs themselves are interesting, taken individually, but listening through 2 CDs of it it stated to get to me. I havent heard tigermilk in a long time, but i will check it out. I dont mean to slam them across the baord.

As for having a huge range musically... i dont know, i just feel like as musicians, and under the B&S project, they have much potential to create some really endearing pop melodies.

its no summerteeth or sgt. pepper's in other words (or pet sounds, etc etc)

It just seems like they really stick w/ a core instrumentation: his breathy vocals, a few other percussive/rhytmic instruments, wafting guitar melodies,and generally a really good upbeat drum melody.

I think they just lack range in terms of rhytm/ or BPM to descirbe it another way, that i think they could definatly improve upon.

AS for DMB, jeezus dont get me started.

Radiohead at laest varies their arrangements via instrumentation et al (time signatures etc), and a lot more than that too, but im just speaking about these things i guess.

Edit: Or more specifically this particular release.

Hamish McBagpipe
07-22-2005, 07:45 PM
Push Barman to Open Old Wounds is pretty comprehensive, I just got it as well, but does not include all the singles, although it sounds like you wouldn't want the rest anyway, heh. I understand what you're saying about putting one song on repeat to basically sum up their sound. However, for me I rarely listen to them for long periods, certainly not a full 2 cd set, and it stays original It can get quite repetitive in larger doses. Mixing B+S into your regular stuff is the way to go. When I first heard B+S it was on Accuradio/Britrock and in small doses. I thought it was really original and the mix used a lot of the non-album singles. After I bought the full albums it was a different listening experience but I think you are underestimating some of the tracks on that singles collection. Legal Man, for instance, is a great track that I don't think sounds at all like their other stuff. Lazy Line Painter Jane, Winter Wooskie and a few others are tracks as good as any on the albums but, sure, I'd agree that they have the same B+S sound. As well, I don't like DCW as much because I don't think it DOES sound like their other albums.

Anyhow, I think it is great that this kind of organic melody based sound has received wide attention.

Btw, Tuco...

[ QUOTE ]
I suspect you really have to enjoy the nuances of Stuart Murdoch's voice and the Scottish point of view to get the most out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP, /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tuco
07-24-2005, 01:33 AM
Doh. Forgive me for referring to a Scot as English. Kinda like calling me an American. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tuco.