PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I play short-handed?

Ralle
02-26-2003, 08:34 PM
I'm doing really good on full low limit ($1/2 to $5/10) hold 'em tables. But, as soon as it gets short handed (6 or fewer players) I start to almost always lose. Is there some general advice that could help? I've tried playing my normal game, I've tried loosening up my starting hand requirements, I've tried playing more aggressively. Nothing seems to help. All comments are welcome.

flopdanutz
02-27-2003, 12:57 AM
assuming u have access to online microlimits, start playing microlimit shorthanded so u get use to it and can beat it. another option is sitting out when it gets short-handed.

when i play shorthanded i play a larger hand selection, watch the other players very carefully and play off their weaknesses. such as if i see a lot of flop folding i will raise preflop or steal the flop with nothing. if i see a lot of loose calling i will play straight. i usually raise with suited aces, face cards, any pocket pair and try to put my oppenents on hands on how they act and how they have been acting. in shorthanded u must definetely watch the betting patterns of your opponents.

PokerPaul
02-27-2003, 06:36 PM
I have played well ten handed, then moved to short tables because i was bored sitting out %80 of hands.

When i first started playing short tables i lost for quite a while, but couldn't get back to the ten handed tables because they were too boring. So i gutted it out.

I am now a regular shorthanded winner, and cant win ten handed for the lifew of me.

Its a very different game.....preflop is easier because you play more hands and see more flops, but post flop its much more difficult to make the right decisions and have the discipline to manage the nuances of the short game.

mobes
02-28-2003, 12:05 AM
I agree. SH is a much harder because most of the game is post flop. It is hard to go back to full games, they are so boring, compared.