PDA

View Full Version : QJo

oreogod
07-22-2005, 02:28 AM
15/30. No read.

Q /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in MP2.

UTG limps, Hero limps, CO and SB limp, BB checks.

Flop: Q/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Sb checks, BB bets, UTG folds, Hero RAISES...only BB calls.

Turn: 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif (6BBs)

BB checks, Hero bets, BB RAISES, Hero....

Maybe this is a pretty simple hand...dunno, thought Id see what the pokergods have to decree.

EDIT: Also, if the pot is bigger does it change your desicion in anyway?

Kyle
07-22-2005, 02:32 AM
Call and get to SD. Looks simple to me.

MrStretchie
07-22-2005, 02:36 AM
Effective 5.5:1 to call down.. I'd say you're good that often against an unknown..

astroglide
07-22-2005, 03:06 AM
i can't imagine anybody making money by overlimping in mp2 with QJo

oreogod
07-22-2005, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i can't imagine anybody making money by overlimping in mp2 with QJo

[/ QUOTE ]

Happens when u use a touchpad.

astroglide
07-22-2005, 03:55 AM
so that part was a misclick?

it's definitely not the end of the world, but most players are looking at a breakeven-at-best situation with that hand under those conditions (aggressive mid-limit game with an utg limper). it's just the first thing that popped into my head when i read the post, this just isn't the place that actual money is made in limit holdem. it's like betting the line in craps. i've played QJ in mp2 more than i should have and i'm showing a profit on it according to my databases, but even hundreds of thousands of hands only add up to hundreds of a specific offsuit hand in a specific position.

as for your hand, i think it's important to consider how often you think you'll get raised. lots of situations come up where we think we'd hate to be raised, but if it's not particularly likely, who cares? lots of the time we'll bet and they'll call or fold. "i'd hate it" check throughs are for situations where you have a read or the stats to show that it's fairly likely to be coming down the pike.

calling the guy down "just to find out" isn't going to prove much since he's in the big blind. it doesn't tell you anything about his preflop play, and if he shows you two spades or an 8 or a queen you haven't really learned anything either. "checkraises top pair on scary boards", "checkraises flush draws on scary boards", etc. i think the only revealing info you could actually get would be a bluff. i try to think about what kind of info i'm actually paying for when i justify calling to get it.

my folksy way of looking at the hand is that if folding here is wrong, it can't be wrong by much, and if you want to make money with QJo in mp2 do it in situations where it looks like you rate to make money. i don't think calling down is going to cost a ton in the long run but you're going to see a better hand on the turn a lot, and the times that you don't you'll still see a rivered spade, overcard, or whatever often enough to make it an overall bummer move.

i'm finding myself happier calling in situations like this where i know i can get burned by taking the reigns on the flop and a less than great holding. with a guy behind you, two spades on the flop, and none in your hand that makes it a lot more hardcore. but you could call the 8 on the turn, and you could pick between calling and raising if a red deuce came instead...

oreogod
07-22-2005, 05:22 AM
Yeah I dont usually play QJo in MP2 with only one limper. Anyway, I folded here. I figured if I was behind I was drawing pretty slim to a win.

Maybe it was the wrong move, but I dont think its that wrong if it is. Pretty sure its close.