PDA

View Full Version : Early Tournament 2 pair--too aggressive?

Paul Thomson
07-22-2005, 01:54 AM
I was in the first round of a $10 sng and have AKo in 2nd position. UTG raises twice the blind, I make it 5x the blind to go (not wanting any calls and giving the original raiser a chance to fold). Everyone folds to the UTG and he calls.

The FLOP comes A K Q (rainbow)

It's checked to me. I bet 3/4 of the pot, and the Villian calls. I'm a little suspicious but with top two pair not to worried.

The TURN brings A K Q 4 with two spades.

Villian checks, and I bet 1/2 the pot, and Villian calls again.

The River brings A K Q 4 9 (no flush)

Villian checks...I feel like checking but with half the buy in still out there feel that I can get a call from a weaker Ace or two pair and put it all in, hoping that I found a fish.

Should I check the river, assuming I could be beat? My thinking goes, most of the time when I'm beat in this situation I am bet into.

bluefeet
07-22-2005, 02:02 AM
chip counts would be a big help here, but you certainly underbet the turn. pot it, push it......hard telling without the chips -- river might/could/should be a non-issue.

since it did get this far - yes, bet the river......3/4th pot'ish.
you are only beat by a set or a flopped straight. a straight wouldn't be check/calling your weak turn bet (or a set for that matter) - pocket nines aren't calling the flop bet after your reraise PF.

Edi: ...agree w/ mr.law - 1/3-1/2 pot is more appropriate here.

pokerlaw
07-22-2005, 02:05 AM
in short, i would bet more on the turn and value bet the river - 1/3 the pot.

lastchance
07-22-2005, 02:05 AM
You are not beat here. Not Valuebetting the river is something weak-tight pansies do, and it costs them money.

I bet more than 1/2 pot on the turn too. Got to price people out.

pergesu
07-22-2005, 02:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a little suspicious but with top two pair not to worried.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why on earth are you suspicious?

Not betting the river is a sin.