PDA

View Full Version : Two questions

01-06-2002, 01:48 PM
#1: This is the way I play overcards, I don't play them. If I miss the flop I check and fold if any action. But, not always. I raise with KQo UTG and I get two callers. Flop comes Jc 2h 7s, I bet I get raise and reraised. I folded. All they had was J3o and J6o. Last card was a Q. Did I play this right?

#2: I raise with KK, I'm the button, I get to callers, BB and limper. Flop is 7d Tc 4s,then is check, check, I bet, call, call. The turn brings an Ace (h), again is check, check to me, I bet, BB calls and the other folds. River is x, BB checks, I bet, he calls and shows A8d.Should I have Checked the turn or what? How do you guys would play this hand? This is a 5-10 game.

Thank you all in advance.

01-06-2002, 04:25 PM
JJ,

In regards to your second question,it all depends on the texture of the game. When an ace hits and someone has stuck around, chances are your kings are second best. Think about what type of hand the player has to call your raise. How did he view you as a player? From the button you could be raising with anything, perhaps making a position raise to knock out the blinds.

After you bet the turn when the ace hit and you had a caller, you should have checked the river since the limper wasnt going anywhere. Betting the turn wasnt bad, because you represented a AK, however if you had gotten check raised, then what woul ou have done?

In regards to your first question, raising utg with KQ offsuit may not have been the best play, especially in a loose 5-10 game. You should have checked since you are out of position in that spot.By betting you added 5 dead money into the pot.

Think of poker as one long session, not a one time deal. Over the course of many hours raising kq offsuit utg will cost you more money than you will earn. On the button with a few limpers raising is fine.

Best wishes

mg

01-06-2002, 06:46 PM
if your unsure as to how to play overcards to a flop. your better off folding the flop til ya learn how. its not as hard as it may seem though, and lots of good books will tell ya how. but if it is a weakness in your game, dont exploit it. protect it. however, you will need to learn this aspect to be a winning player. lots of chips are to be made playing overcards. i had trouble when i started kinda the same way. once ya learn it though, a new world opens up, and youll find your winnings increase.

b

01-07-2002, 01:05 AM
#1: Yes, you played it correctly. You were getting about the right price to cold call two bets for your overcards but there are two problems with that: (1) it might be capped and (2) Your overcards could very easily be no good - they could hold QJ, KJ, or even QQ or KK or a set or two pair.

By the way, I don't think raising UTG with KQo is a good idea, except maybe in a very tight game.

#2: No, you have to bet the turn. You must make him pay if he is still drawing, and if you check and he does have an ace he will bet the river and you will be forced to call anyway. Bet the turn, but check the river. Your river bet is called mostly by hands that are beating you and has no bluffing potential.

Chris