PDA

View Full Version : New computer questions

commodore64
07-22-2005, 12:12 AM
Just bought a dell 2001fp. Was like a kid in a candy store waiting for it. It arrived today. Hooked up fine, but cannot get 1600x1200 resolution, because apparently my graphics card doesn't support it. Its the one that came on the motherboard when i bought the computer 4 years ago. Quickly went over to compusa and bought a new graphics card with 256mb memory?. The store clerk said it would work fine. Installed it and turned on the computer and the screen is blank, no picture. My friend thinks my motherboard won't support the new card.
So I called compaq support and they obviously weren't any help. But that's a whole different story.
Any suggestions on what I should buy for a new one. I obviously don't need a monitor or anything, just a new tower. Where should I look, what am I looking for to make sure I get that resolution? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

tinhat
07-22-2005, 10:20 AM
TTYTT a mboard not liking a video card is something I've never heard of. If it can be physically plugged into a socket I can't see why it won't work.

If your previous video was an onboard device does it need to be disabled (a swtich on the mboard or BIOS maybe)? I would expect it to disable itself if a video card is detected but I've never had onboard video (and don't even know if it needs to be disabled).

Have you called the video card manufacturer about the problem? Are you getting any message from your monitor about no video signal (or getting a beeping pattern when starting up)? Try booting from the windows install CD and see if you get anything.

Mike

FouTight
07-22-2005, 11:18 AM
yes, you will have to disable the onboard if it is indeed onboard.

Is in an AGP card? if so, what version? If it's PCI, then it should definately work, some AGP is weird and newer cards may not work on older boards.