PDA

View Full Version : solution to the fighting dogs--sucks

[censored]
07-21-2005, 10:56 PM
I posted a few weels ago about my dogs who suddenly started fighting. Well the situation hasn't gotten any better and they have to be seperated at all times now.

Consequently I will be getting rid of one (Freido) tomorrow. Initially I thought I was ok with this but now it really sucks.

He is going to a great home. A 15 year freind of my parents whose husband suddenly passed away from a massive stroke last week. I don't have any doubts that she will give lots of love and attention. Still it is hard to describe how much this sucks right now

RunDownHouse
07-21-2005, 11:00 PM
Wow, my sympathies. That's awful.

tdarko
07-21-2005, 11:07 PM
man so sorry to hear this /images/graemlins/frown.gif, at least you know where he is and you can still see him though right?

[censored]
07-21-2005, 11:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
man so sorry to hear this /images/graemlins/frown.gif, at least you know where he is and you can still see him though right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes as most importantly if for some reason it doesn't work out I don't have to worry about her dumping him off to the pound or something. This was critically important to me.

Soul Daddy
07-21-2005, 11:11 PM
That sucks, but it sounds like you're making the best of a bad situation.. At least you'll be able to visit. I hope the woman is going to have the energy to give the dog necessary attention, but she could certainly use the companionship. Poor lady too.

tdarko
07-21-2005, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes as most importantly if for some reason it doesn't work out I don't have to worry about her dumping him off to the pound or something. This was critically important to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
great choice. good luck.

ihardlyknowher
07-21-2005, 11:14 PM
That sux. My wife's dog just died, we feel your pain. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Clarkmeister
07-21-2005, 11:16 PM
Didn't someone say that it was an unsalvageable situation in the initial thread? Too bad they were right. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[censored]
07-21-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Didn't someone say that it was an unsalvageable situation in the initial thread? Too bad they were right. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah pretty much although I could have taken the chance and let them continue to go at each other but after a couple of times I just couldn't do it. They drew blood on each other everytime and I didn't want to risk serious injury.

Felix_Nietsche
07-21-2005, 11:34 PM
There are professional dog trainers that can deal with these types of problems. An aquantance of mine married a women a few years back. Both of them had dogs (plural). Within the first week the fights started. The called a pro dog trainer who came in and fixed the problem. No more dog fights.

The solution was the dogs had establshed their social hierarchy but the owners were NOT respecting it. E.g. Petting the beta dog before the alpha dog and feeding the alpha dog last. I'm sure every situation has a different solution but this worked for them.

Also an apartment friend of mine had problems with his dog (howling at night, opening cabinets/refrigerator and eating his food!). He called a trainer, she came by, gave him instructions...problem solved.

GuyOnTilt
07-21-2005, 11:40 PM
Sorry dude. That really must suck. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

GoT

balkii
07-21-2005, 11:58 PM
Fredo has a good heart, but he is weak...and stupid, and stupid people are the most dangerous of all.

balkii
07-21-2005, 11:58 PM
no offense. sorry man

mslif
07-22-2005, 12:01 AM
I am very sorry it had to come down to this. I know how much you love those dogs. This is very sad!

IndieMatty
07-22-2005, 12:07 AM
Sucks, seems like you found a decent home for him. You did the best ya could.

[censored]
07-22-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fredo has a good heart, but he is weak...and stupid, and stupid people are the most dangerous of all.

[/ QUOTE ]

no offense taken. His brother's name is Sonny. What's funny is that for the most part they closely mirror the characters. Sonny is a fearless alpha male personality. He is prone to barking whenever he doesn't get his way. He also is very stong and agile with amazing leaping ability.

Fredo however is the complete opposite. When faced with danger he tends to cowar and can rarely solve his way out of something. He is also very awkward and clumsly. However he has a huge heart and is very loving so he will be missed.

nrinker
07-22-2005, 12:14 AM
R.I.P. Freido

Tron
07-22-2005, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
R.I.P. Freido

[/ QUOTE ]

Premature?

nrinker
07-22-2005, 03:13 AM
No, Freido becomes dead in the owners mind. Atleast in my experience.

Exclaiming RIP!! Is a way to quickly enter self realization and move on with your life. Maybe RIP means something different to me than others? I don't know, this is what I think.

Chairman Wood
07-22-2005, 03:23 AM
The fact that you are making a responsible choice here shows how much you really care for them. Kudos to you. I really do hope you can take some consolation in the fact that you are giving him to a family who are in some pain right now. Hopefully it will be a great fit for both of them. Perhaps the widow needs the dog much more than you.