PDA

View Full Version : Best Tool/PC Album?

x2ski
07-21-2005, 10:07 PM
Hey All,

I realized today that everytime I hear Tool or A Perfect Circle I totally dig it and try to remember to pick up one of the two bands' albums.

I find both bands to be similar, probably because MJK's voice is so unique, but I've never heard an entire album, so help me out:

Phoenix1010
07-21-2005, 10:32 PM
Aenima for Tool, Mer de Noms for APC. Opiate is killer as well, and opinions seem to be split on Lateralus, although I think it's great. I didn't mind the Thirteenth Step, I thought it was good, but not nearly as good as Mer de Noms. By the way, I don't think they sound very much alike, despite MJK's distinctive voice.

fluxrad
07-21-2005, 10:33 PM
Wait. Why the [censored] didn't I vote for Undertow?

I must have been high.

Claunchy
07-21-2005, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I must have been high.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because Aenimus is clearly the better album?

That said, Undertow is greatness. APC sucks. Lateralus sucks. That's all I got.

ChoicestHops
07-21-2005, 10:46 PM
Im probably going to be the only single person in this thread that votes for Thirteenth Step. Ive seen both Tool and APC live in concert, and I was disappointed with APC's performance as I had already seen an amazing Tool show.

Even so, over the past two years my taste has moved away from Tool to APC. I simply like Maynard's feminine side more.

fishsauce
07-21-2005, 10:54 PM
The closest thing I've ever had to a religious experience was seeing Tool live when they were touring for Lateralus. Incredible.

I tend to like all of Tool's albums - they seem to have pretty different characteristics. Lateralus is the best when it comes to the music, Aenima the best songs, Undertow is the most cynical, and Opiate - the title track says it all.

Have all of the APC albums too but they don't get played as much. eMotive is probly my favorite of those.

FouTight
i've traveled to NYC, Washington DC and locally to pittsburgh to see Tool, and saw A Perfect Circle during their first tour with NIN. Tool is vastly superior, however, APC was in my CD player earlier today, it's a mood thing.

I also love his part in the Deftones "Passenger".

Aenima, for the record, is the peak of the Tool collection I believe.

fluxrad
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I must have been high.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because Aenimus is clearly the better album?

That said, Undertow is greatness. APC sucks. Lateralus sucks. That's all I got.

[/ QUOTE ]

Methinks Undertow wins if for nothing other than the combined power of "Sober" and "Prison Sex."

Rushmore
07-21-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i've traveled to NYC, Washington DC and locally to pittsburgh to see Tool, and saw A Perfect Circle during their first tour with NIN. Tool is vastly superior, however, APC was in my CD player earlier today, it's a mood thing.

I also love his part in the Deftones "Passenger".

Aenima, for the record, is the peak of the Tool collection I believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have an extensive collection of TOOL bootlegs, and they used to do an awesome version of Passenger live.

Lateralus is brilliant, and gets a bum rap, but Aenima is the sh*t, of course.

RunDownHouse
07-21-2005, 11:02 PM
I agree that Lateralus is great, but Aenima notches it.

I don't agree that APC and Tool are similar, however. Obviously the voice is, but I don't find them too alike musically.

Rushmore
07-21-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't find them too alike musically

[/ QUOTE ]

How about "noplace near anywhere even like remotely similar?"

That might be more accurate.

x2ski
07-21-2005, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree that Lateralus is great, but Aenima notches it.

I don't agree that APC and Tool are similar, however

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only heard the radio singles, and can't really tell the two apart, but I guess that's just me. They both still rock out with their cocks out IMHO.

RunDownHouse
07-21-2005, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How about "noplace near anywhere even like remotely similar?"

That might be more accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]
That'll work too. I'm trying to cut some hyperbole out of my diet.

TimM
07-21-2005, 11:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Methinks Undertow wins if for nothing other than the combined power of "Sober" and "Prison Sex."

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are good songs.

But the combined power of Stinkfist, Eulogy, H., Forty Six & 2, Hooker with a Penis, Jimmy, Pushit, Aenema, and Third Eye crushes them many times over. In case any one is counting, that's every song on Aenima that is an actual song.

Aenima ... end of thread.

Rushmore
07-21-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the combined power of Stinkfist, Eulogy, H., Forty Six & 2, Hooker with a Penis, Jimmy, Pushit, Aenema, and Third Eye crushes them many times over. In case any one is counting, that's every song on Aenima that is an actual song.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are in danger of ending the thread.

Hard to argue with this. I mean, you could make an argument that any album with Stinkfist, 46+2, Aenema, and Pushit is simply the greatest album of all time, ever, anywhere.

Think Physical Graffiti, only HEAVIER.

Wow.

MasterShakes
07-21-2005, 11:43 PM
Don't listen to the others. Lateralus is it. Aenima is a close second. Undertow is a distant third.

Rushmore
07-21-2005, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't listen to the others. Lateralus is it. Aenima is a close second. Undertow is a distant third.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean, but I just cannot bring myself to place Aenema behind any album on earth.

MasterShakes
07-21-2005, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean, but I just cannot bring myself to place Aenema behind any album on earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd give a thumbs up to getting every album on the list (cough... torrent... cough cough), but it's clearly either Lateralus or Aenima... I don't think even the best APC album is even close.

Rushmore
07-21-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd give a thumbs up to getting every album on the list (cough... torrent... cough cough), but it's clearly either Lateralus or Aenima... I don't think even the best APC album is even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree that one should--ahem, cough cough--I don't even know what a torrent IS, cough--get everything TOOL has ever done or will do.

I would also agree that while APC is very damned good (especially Mer De Noms), they do not hold a candle to the juggernaut that is TOOL.

It's like saying I LOVE sushi, but I like a nice filet o' fish, too.

Ok, it's not really like that. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Phoenix1010
07-21-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
eMotive is probly my favorite of those.

[/ QUOTE ]

eMotive is easily the worst APC album, despite the very cool Imagine cover. You're entitled to your opinion of course.

I'll never understand the problem that people seem to have with Lateralus, it is simply amazing. The section from The Patient to Mantra to Schizm to Parabol to Parabola is one of the best sections on any album I've ever heard, and the title track is among the greatest songs to get high and listen to ever. Nothing tops Aenima though. As was stated, every song on that album is incredible.

Rushmore
07-22-2005, 12:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the title track is among the greatest songs to get high and listen to ever

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even get high anymore, and I can assure you, I know what you mean. You might as well play Reflection right afterwards, as long as you're high.

Or even if you're not.

fishsauce
07-22-2005, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

eMotive is easily the worst APC album, despite the very cool Imagine cover. You're entitled to your opinion of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice little disclaimer at the end /images/graemlins/tongue.gif. But seriously, it's probably my (current) favorite APC album because it's the one I've listened to most recently. Passive rocks without question, and Counting Bodies is pretty timely. As soon as I listen to the others again, I'm sure one of them will get played more often.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll never understand the problem that people seem to have with Lateralus, it is simply amazing. The section from The Patient to Mantra to Schizm to Parabol to Parabola is one of the best sections on any album I've ever heard, and the title track is among the greatest songs to get high and listen to ever. Nothing tops Aenima though. As was stated, every song on that album is incredible.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think Lateralus gets the bad rap because it's just not as angry as any of their previous stuff. The music in Lateralus makes it worth it. It's just different, kind of transcendental. Precise.

Redmen62
07-22-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
killer as well, and opinions seem to be split on Lateralus, although I think it's great

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the [censored] doesn't like Lateralus?

Roybert
07-22-2005, 12:55 AM
Aenima.

This one's a runaway, my friend.

Drew16
07-22-2005, 01:20 AM
Had to vote for Aeinam but Undertow is very good also. Its a toss-up

nrinker
07-22-2005, 03:19 AM
I vote Undertow, which i am listening to now. This is personal preference, all the other albums are amazing as well.

I believe that Undertow is my favorite because it was the material that I listened to during a very important point in my life.

If I hadn't listened to Undertow, I don't think I would turned out the way I have today (whether its good or bad).

Al P
07-22-2005, 08:23 AM
I've listened to Aenima over 1500 times, it's pretty good.

Mer de Noms has some extremely good songs on it like Rose, Magdalena, Judith, 3 Libras and a few others. If you haven't heard these songs you must download or buy the CD - you won't be disappointed. They're some of the best songs ever by APC or TOOL.

Opiate is good but not something I can listen to repeatedly every day like Aenima or Lateralus or Undertow.

FouTight
07-22-2005, 09:34 AM
after thinking abotu this for a while, I think it's undisputable, all of the tool albums are amazing pieces of work as full albums (or EP in the case of opiate)

Opiate is a bit harder then their other work, Undertow is a little more like opiate then it is aenima, but of great quality, aenima is a mind bending trip to listen too, lateralus is also a fine piece of work, can't really say much else about it.

The_Tracker
07-22-2005, 10:19 AM
Awesome! Great to see so many Tool/APC fans here. Me loves some Tool much.

You know, they are supposedly in the studio working on a new album.......... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Edit: Oh, and the correct answer is of course Aenima.

x2ski
07-22-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd give a thumbs up to getting every album on the list (cough... torrent... cough cough)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree that one should--ahem, cough cough--I don't even know what a torrent IS, cough--get everything TOOL has ever done or will do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, yes - hack-hack, snort - that's what I'm actually, ahem... doing.

Sorry to lie about my honesty /images/graemlins/wink.gif

bustedchucks
07-22-2005, 12:03 PM
so everyone is pretty much saying aenima. and thy're right.
but that doesnt mean you dont have to get undertow and opiate. because you do. lateralus and salival can come later. be sure to downlaod parabola though.

and you also must get mer de noms, which gets my vote for best album of 2001(or whatever year it came out).
13th step is kinda weak, but i still like it. nurse who loved me is a cool tune.

astroglide
07-22-2005, 12:13 PM
nurse who loved me is also a cover...

fryKing
07-22-2005, 12:24 PM
Speaking of "Pushit", does anyone else really like the live version of on Salival? And a million bootlegs, I'm sure.

I couldn't quite say I prefer it, but it is pretty amazing.

SL__72
07-22-2005, 01:14 PM
You should do yourself a favor and just get them all...

Rushmore
07-22-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of "Pushit", does anyone else really like the live version of on Salival?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be perfect, if they didn't decide to have a TABLAS solo.

And the really deep Maynard intro to the song, which is annoying for obvious reasons.

Other than that, it's a great version.

meep_42
07-22-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are good songs.

But the combined power of Stinkfist, Eulogy, H., Forty Six & 2, Hooker with a Penis, Jimmy, Pushit, Aenema, and Third Eye crushes them many times over. In case any one is counting, that's every song on Aenima that is an actual song.

Aenima ... end of thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

I voted for Undertow on first instinct. But I can't really argue with that. There isn't a song on Aenima that i'll skip, but there are a couple on Undertow that I will.

-d

meep_42
07-22-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You've convinced me to dig it out and give it another listen. I bought it the day it came out, listened to it twice, lent it out to someone at work, got it back and never put it in a CD player again.

-d

Rushmore
07-22-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You've convinced me to dig it out and give it another listen. I bought it the day it came out, listened to it twice, lent it out to someone at work, got it back and never put it in a CD player again.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you like the other TOOL stuff, and you enjoy rock and roll music masterfully executed, you're doing yourself an awful big favor by giving it a second chance.