PDA

View Full Version : archives more +EV than current forums?

morgan180
07-21-2005, 07:51 PM
So I spent some time last night reading through the archives for some more posts from the carpal tunnels that don't post as much as they used too. There is some amazing information in there.

My question is - is that information any better than on the forums today? Was the disucssion more intense, was there more theory and less how to? How much of it is still relevant in today's games?

I spent a good few hours going through it and I plan to make it a habit but does anyone else have an opinion on how useful it is vs. the current discussion?

adanthar
07-21-2005, 08:36 PM
In some other forums, unquestionably. Here, ICM alone means that you should take 80% of the posts from back then and throw them out the window.

Once upon a time, Aleo's guide was the cutting edge of 2+2 STT poker.

morgan180
07-21-2005, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True - I remember the first time I came to these forums - printed out the how to beat 10+1s and thought I had struck gold.

the shadow
07-21-2005, 10:04 PM
I haven't been around since the beginning, but I've read posts going back that far.

It's true that the forum misses many excellent posters, especially bozeman, who no longer participate. Even so, when you read the posts over time, you can clearly see the growth and development of ideas, of which ICM is perhaps the best example. So, IMHO, the info today is as good or better than that in the archives.

There is one aspect of the archives that's better than what we have today. While there always have been threads about the worst call ever, the latest bad beat, should I fold AA/KK preflop, etc., the signal-to-noise ratio has degraded over time. Hopefully, with citanul volunteering as moderator, we can cut down on the static and pump up the signal.

The Shadow

johnnybeef
07-21-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the signal-to-noise ratio has degraded over time. Hopefully, with citanul volunteering as moderator, we can cut down on the static and pump up the signal.

[/ QUOTE ]

skipper is not going to be happy when he sees this.

AleoMagus
07-21-2005, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The amount it gets linked to, you'd think it still is. It amazes me that nobody has come up with anything better after all this time.

Now that I mention it, maybe I will write a new version. It sure seems to get maligned a lot these days, and given the fact that (despite my urgings) people have not stopped linking to it, maybe it is necessary.

Now that I am on this topic, let me also say congratulation to BigWig, whose collective posts are apparently better than one of mine. sigh (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2897989&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1)

Regards
Brad S

lastchance
07-21-2005, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In some other forums, unquestionably. Here, ICM alone means that you should take 80% of the posts from back then and throw them out the window.

[/ QUOTE ]
Which forums?

adanthar
07-21-2005, 11:18 PM
^SSH and small stakes no limit in particular are...weird these days.

[ QUOTE ]
The amount it gets linked to, you'd think it still is. It amazes me that nobody has come up with anything better after all this time.

Now that I mention it, maybe I will write a new version.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll have competition after next week /images/graemlins/cool.gif

It was a great piece of work, it's just not applicable now.

edit: You know what, scratch that...I'm gonna toss my half-finished project out now and see what happens.

the shadow
07-22-2005, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Now that I am on this topic, let me also say congratulation to BigWig, whose collective posts are apparently better than one of mine. sigh

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

You're among friends (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2898032&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1).

The Shadow (who likes some of Bigwig's posts -- almost as much as Bigwig likes them himself)

morgan180
07-22-2005, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now that I am on this topic, let me also say congratulation to BigWig, whose collective posts are apparently better than one of mine. sigh

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

You're among friends (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2898032&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1).

The Shadow (who likes some of Bigwig's posts -- almost as much as Bigwig likes them himself)

[/ QUOTE ]

is BigWig Scott Fischman? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Yugoslavian
07-22-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

It's true that the forum misses many excellent posters, especially bozeman, who no longer participate.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's frustrating is that he is playing again (or has been for a while anyway)...but hasn't been back to the forum as far as I can tell. There was a Pitcher guest appearance like a couple of weeks ago....

Oh well....

Yugoslav

Isura
07-22-2005, 02:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Which forums?

[/ QUOTE ]

HUSH forum is past its prime.