PDA

View Full Version : Noam Chomsky

maxfisher
07-21-2005, 07:42 PM
Does Anyone have anything bad to say about him?? Is there anything this guy can't do??

Zygote
07-21-2005, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does Anyone have anything bad to say about him?? Is there anything this guy can't do??

[/ QUOTE ]

you're being sarcastic, right?

quinn
07-21-2005, 07:51 PM
"If the Nuremberg laws were applied, then every post-war American president would have been hanged."

-Noam Chomsky

wtf?

maxfisher
07-21-2005, 07:52 PM
No, I'm new to this forum (i want to test the water) and my only exposure to him is having recently read The Common Good and stuff like The Corporation. I'm interested to hear where he is off-base, if he is?

Zygote
07-21-2005, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, I'm new to this forum (i want to test the water) and my only exposure to him is having recently read The Common Good and stuff like The Corporation. I'm interested to hear where he is off-base, if he is?

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're looking to test the water, go to the politics forum. you'll have much more fun with this thread over there.

maxfisher
07-21-2005, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"If the Nuremberg laws were applied, then every post-war American president would have been hanged."

-Noam Chomsky

wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this one of those things where you disagree with him politically, but he could support said statement with strict fact?

maxfisher
07-21-2005, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, my appologies. I thought this was the philosophy forum and I think Noam at least has a background in philosophy
if you're looking to test the water, go to the politics forum. you'll have much more fun with this thread over there.

[/ QUOTE ]

PairTheBoard
07-21-2005, 07:59 PM
"I'm interested to hear where he is off-base, if he is? "

I don't even know what ball park he's in.

PairTheBoard

disjunction
07-21-2005, 10:01 PM
One underreported fact about Chomsky -- he originally made his name in linguistics, but a lot of very smart people utterly disagree with his paradigm in that field.

imported_anacardo
07-22-2005, 12:23 AM
I think Chomsky's a basically good man who was, in poker terms, put on permanent tilt by the LAG right. He's a sad cautionary tale.

drudman
07-22-2005, 01:19 AM
That quote is on the mark, it just sounds outrageous to people who ignore fact.

That's the problem, people blame folks like Chomsky for the rise of leftist ideology. In reality, Chomsky more or less reports facts that most people are unable or unwilling to seek out. It is, ironically, ideologically-opposed people who are doing the blaming.

vulturesrow
07-22-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In reality, Chomsky more or less reports facts

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that, my friend, high comedy.

Prevaricator
07-22-2005, 03:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

-Noam Chomsky

wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you see why?

erby
07-22-2005, 09:39 AM
I think that what Chomsky had to say regarding "universal grammar" was very interesting. However, I certainly feel like he has a tendancy to make sweeping absolute statements (at least in linguistics). As an academic, I find it very hard to agree with any grand absolute, since there always seems to be some foibles in any arguement...

ERBY /images/graemlins/spade.gif

ThreeMartini
07-22-2005, 12:12 PM
If you want some insight into Noam Chomsky, read "Hoodwinked" by Jim Cashill.

tripp0807
07-22-2005, 12:57 PM
I probably shouldn't say this, because I can't quote the source, but I recall a pretty prominent commentator saying that the reason he's doesn't get the publicity that he used to was because pretty much everything he says has been discredited; though every now and then he comes out to saying something silly that is similarly discredited.

-Tripp

[censored]
07-22-2005, 01:06 PM
chomsky sucks (http://www.oldpunks.com/oldpunks4-2.html)

Quaalude
07-23-2005, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

-Noam Chomsky

wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

One could try reading the original article. (http://www.chomsky.info/talks/1990----.htm) And some of the others here could perhaps read some of what he's actually (http://www.chomsky.info/) written, (http://www.chomsky.info/articles.htm) rather than what his enemies say about him.

ACPlayer
07-23-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want some insight into Noam Chomsky, read a couple of books by Noam Chomsky.

I wonder how many of his detractors on this forum have actually read a couple of his books.

vulturesrow
07-23-2005, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want some insight into Noam Chomsky, read a couple of books by Noam Chomsky.

I wonder how many of his detractors on this forum have actually read a couple of his books.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have. I read a few that Chris Alger recommended.

ACPlayer
07-23-2005, 01:10 AM
Good. I accept your opinion on his works.

I reserve the right to disagree with your opinion.

I dont see how you can say he does not present facts, as he always backs up his factual statements with detailed references. You can of course disagree with his conclusions.

Did you learn anything new from his books?

vulturesrow
07-23-2005, 01:24 AM
His facts often consists of references back to his own works or to works of dubious scholarship. That said, the one good thing that reading them made me do is go do some of my own research. Nothing wrong with being forced to think. I'll give him that much. /images/graemlins/smile.gif But obviously I am in complete disagreement with his conclusions.

In the interest of full disclosure, I also read the Anti-Chomsky Reader, but I actually read that book after I read Chris's recommendations so I wouldnt have any preconceptions. Have you read it? /images/graemlins/wink.gif They point out some of the same things I discovered, as well as other things.

ACPlayer
07-23-2005, 08:36 AM
I'll take a look.

I, generally, find other people's opinions about anothers opinions a waste of time -- unless it is my opinion of another's opinion, of course, that opinion is a true gem. IMO.

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

vulturesrow
07-23-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll take a look.

I, generally, find other people's opinions about anothers opinions a waste of time -- unless it is my opinion of another's opinion, of course, that opinion is a true gem. IMO.

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you care to know my opinion of your opinions in general? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ACPlayer
07-23-2005, 11:43 PM
Sure. Any time. Given the stuff I have been called on this forum, could it get much worse from a christian forgiving soul?

I know you dont want to know mine about yours. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

vulturesrow
07-24-2005, 12:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sure. Any time. Given the stuff I have been called on this forum, could it get much worse from a christian forgiving soul?

I know you dont want to know mine about yours. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive been pretty nice to you /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ACPlayer
07-24-2005, 07:40 PM
True, true. You are usually nice tho usually wrong. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I welcome jousting with you, btw. You often add something to my knowledge base.