PDA

View Full Version : Should teachers be tipped?

ryanghall
07-21-2005, 07:00 PM
I was just reading another one of those silly argument posts where someone said that dealers shouldn't be tipped and 18 2+2'ers jumped all over them, which is fine. I agree that dealers should be tipped.

Waitresses, cab drivers, hairdressers... the list of people who you tip is getting larger and larger, it would seem (I understand that most people in these professions don't make much money from wage, however, they also haven't gone through years of expensive and difficult education to get their jobs).

My question: should teachers be tipped? Someone who has two or more degrees and spends all day with your child teaching them... but I'm sure the thought has never crossed anyone's mind before (if it has, I've never heard of it).

Is it because teachers get summers off? Is it because teachers are overpaid? I'm just curious. And yes, I'm a teacher.

Dynasty
07-21-2005, 07:01 PM
Maybe you should put a little jar on your desk.

The Yugoslavian
07-21-2005, 07:08 PM
What the hell do you think all those apples are?!?

Yugoslav

kyro
07-21-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome.

maxfisher
07-21-2005, 07:10 PM
basically, one can either justify tipping every occupation or not tipping any occupation. its pretty silly to arbitrarly sp? pick and choose what occupation does or does not deserve gratuity. i think if a food server deserves a tip, sure a teacher deserves a tip

ihardlyknowher
07-21-2005, 07:23 PM
Wouldn't this create a conflict of interest vis a vis grading?

ryanghall
07-21-2005, 07:36 PM
I would think that a tip would be given after the year is done and the grades are given out.

kyro
07-21-2005, 07:38 PM
wow. read what you just typed. now spend a minute trying to figure out how that would change anything.

ryanghall
07-21-2005, 07:42 PM
I would seriously hope that a tip would not affect teachers' grading, if that's what you're getting at. It wouldn't have a chance to unless the teacher had the student again. Clearly you'll likely get a few isolated cases where it would, as teachers, after all, are human.

kyro
07-21-2005, 07:43 PM
There are teachers who [censored] their students. You don't think some teachers would inflate grades based on a couple extra C-notes? Please.

ryanghall
07-21-2005, 07:48 PM
Like I say, I would hope the tipping would happen after the fact. What you're speaking of is not tipping, it's bribery.

Ryan

shadow29
07-21-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it because teachers are overpaid?

[/ QUOTE ]

uh....

I took one of my teachers out to dinner (aka fancy lunch) after I graduated high school. He got my in to college and was a big mentor for me though. (no ssihp or gay jokes) Does that count?

kyro
07-21-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Like I say, I would hope the tipping would happen after the fact. What you're speaking of is not tipping, it's bribery.

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you're not a logic teacher. Any sane person could see the wreck that this would head to. How exactly do you expect to differentiate between tipping and bribery. Do you honestly think students won't go to shady teachers and say "I'll toss a couple hundred at you if you bump my grade up." This would be inevitable.

MrTrik
07-21-2005, 07:53 PM
I'll start by saying that our society does not pay teachers, cops, or social workers enough. But, the people I tip are considered to have a base pay and a performance pay (tips). They are payed less due to the fact that they are getting significant tip income if they are doing their job well. This does not apply to teachers, cops, or social workers. They get paid a wage regardless of whether they do an exceptional job or a really crappy job. I don't agree it needs to be this way, but it is that way. On my job as a software/systems project manager I do not get a tip if I kick some serious butt today. Why should teachers?

jakethebake
07-21-2005, 08:16 PM
She was gettin' a tip...

http://www.courttv.com/graphics/photos/inside/lede/lafave-insidelede-071805.jpg

ryanghall
07-21-2005, 08:23 PM
This happens already. Tipping wouldn't change this.

ryanghall
07-21-2005, 08:24 PM
Absolutely, and I think this was a wonderful thing for you to do.

One of my students said "thank you" to me once...

ryanghall
07-21-2005, 08:25 PM
Valid points, but then why should poker dealers?

2+2 wannabe
07-21-2005, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Valid points, but then why should poker dealers?

[/ QUOTE ]

haha this is in the wrong forum

stanky
07-21-2005, 08:48 PM
Everybody should tip everybody. No wait...nobody should tip anybody. Hell I'm cunfused. I HATE TIPPING THREADS. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

morgan180
07-21-2005, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD

morgan180
07-21-2005, 09:26 PM
personally i think this is one of the worst ideas i have heard.

i had too many teachers with tenure that mailed it in day in and day out and punched the clock like any other unhappy employee. and i wouldn't be able not to tip, because it is likely that would weigh in to the treatment and opportunities of my kid vs. some other kid who's parents chose to tip -- or those that could afford to tip more.

my wife has a hard time lowering the tip for shitty service at a restaurant - i don't think i could talk her in to stiffing the kindergarten teacher for poor teaching performance.

BadBoyBenny
07-21-2005, 09:43 PM
When I was in highschool my dad hired the high school shop teacher (who was also the soccer coach) to do various contruction projects over the summers. Maybe this helped me start more games maybe it didn't.

We also got a free shed out of it. We just bought the materials and it was next year's shop classes final project.

BadBoyBenny
07-21-2005, 09:50 PM
You know, if that cop does a really good job, just getting behind me and flashing the lights for a second. No embarassing sirens or anything like that, and he is patient enough to wait for a good place to pull me over.

I would seriously hope that if I tipped him it would not affect his decision to give me a ticket or not; but you know, humans are humans and there might be a few bad apples somewhere. Is that really enough to outweigh the tremendous benefit tipping would provide to the honest and brave protectors of society?

Or how about my boss. If he does a good job and stays off my ass for the week, why shouldn't I drop him a C note. I'm sure it couldn't hurt with the performance review.

ihardlyknowher
07-21-2005, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You know, if that cop does a really good job, just getting behind me and flashing the lights for a second. No embarassing sirens or anything like that, and he is patient enough to wait for a good place to pull me over.

I would seriously hope that if I tipped him it would not affect his decision to give me a ticket or not; but you know, humans are humans and there might be a few bad apples somewhere. Is that really enough to outweigh the tremendous benefit tipping would provide to the honest and brave protectors of society?

Or how about my boss. If he does a good job and stays off my ass for the week, why shouldn't I drop him a C note. I'm sure it couldn't hurt with the performance review.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about hookers?

kyro
07-22-2005, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This happens already. Tipping wouldn't change this.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would encourage it and make it more prevalent. How do you not see this?

Apathy
07-22-2005, 12:27 AM
I think I gave some wine to a teacer before who I thought did a good job at Christmas time or the end of year or something.

Monetary tips for teachers is absurd.

ryanghall
07-22-2005, 04:21 AM
Ok that's fair.

Can you explain the difference between this and poker dealers now?

AngryCola
07-22-2005, 04:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can you explain the difference between this and poker dealers now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with the original premise of your post. People were generally saying they are tired of others acting like they are entitled to tips.

I'm not stingy about giving out tips, but acting like you're entitled to it will always get me to put away my wallet.

ryanghall
07-22-2005, 04:28 AM
I'm not, I'm merely asking what the difference is.

AngryCola
07-22-2005, 04:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not, I'm merely asking what the difference is.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of them throws pieces of plastic at you, and the other is a dealer.

zephed
07-22-2005, 04:39 AM
No, because it is innapropriate.

They should be paid more, though.

Bulldog
07-22-2005, 08:57 AM
Here's a tip: THREE MONTHS VACATION EVERY FREAKIN YEAR

jakethebake
07-22-2005, 09:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly people that only work 9 months out of the year, and basically do a job that they mostly don't care about but took only because they couldn't get a job in their actual chosen profession should be paid more.

zephed
07-22-2005, 09:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly people that only work 9 months out of the year, and basically do a job that they mostly don't care about but took only because they couldn't get a job in their actual chosen profession should be paid more.

[/ QUOTE ]
And their pay is based on that 9 months of work. They get paid more if they teach summers.

Also, their job is pretty important.

They also have to take their work home.

jakethebake
07-22-2005, 09:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, their job is pretty important. They also have to take their work home.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% that theirs is one of the most important jobs that there is. However, I'll also argue that the majority of them are crappy at it, and don't care enough to get better at it. Like I said I think most teachers get into it because they couldn't get the job they really wanted and they fell into a teaching position and were to lazy to look elsewhere. The travesty is we won't get better teachers until we pay them more and find ways to make training available. But in order to do that, we have to pay the crappy ones out there now more. It's a kind of catch-22. Also, who doesn't take work home that makes more than $8/hour?

oh yea. You're right their pay is based on 9 months of work. That's part of why it's low. When you evaluate their pay besed on 9 months it doesn't look nearly as low. They like to forget that when they bitch about how much they're paid.

zephed
07-22-2005, 09:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, their job is pretty important. They also have to take their work home.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% that theirs is one of the most important jobs that there is. <font color="red">However, I'll also argue that the majority of them are crappy at it, and don't care enough to get better at it.</font> <font color="blue">Like I said I think most teachers get into it because they couldn't get the job they really wanted and they fell into a teaching position and were to lazy to look elsewhere.</font> The travesty is we won't get better teachers until we pay them more and find ways to make training available. But in order to do that, we have to pay the crappy ones out there now more. It's a kind of catch-22. <font color="green">Also, who doesn't take work home that makes more than $8/hour?</font>

oh yea. You're right their pay is based on 9 months of work. That's part of why it's low. When you evaluate their pay besed on 9 months it doesn't look nearly as low. They like to forget that when they bitch about how much they're paid.

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="red">FWIW, I've always had pretty good teachers in my public school career. I did grow up in a nice area though. I don't think the majority of public school teachers suck, but I'm sure there are plenty of them.

Also, I'm pretty sure the worst teachers I've had were University lecturers. They are generally stupid, can barely speak english, and have no idea how to teach. They just posess knowledge.</font>

<font color="blue">I think this is a direct result of pay teachers currently receive. It's not an attractive career for anyone who has dreams of making good money.</font>

<font color="green">That's a good question. Should I make an OOT poll?

Nurses, firefighters, mechanics, plumbers, construction workers, secretaries (?), insurance claim reps, truckers, longshoremen, various physical laborers. Blah blah. I'm not saying I'm right about all these.</font>

ChipWrecked
07-22-2005, 09:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
She was gettin' a tip...

[/ QUOTE ]

Some teachers should be tapped.

Vasquez
07-22-2005, 11:03 AM
As a teacher, i dont think we need to get tipped. I think the government needs to pay us more but thats another issue...

morgan180
07-22-2005, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you.

jackdaniels
07-22-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
She was gettin' a tip...

[/ QUOTE ]

Some teachers should be tapped.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is this blondie??? I need more info on this.

Vasquez
07-22-2005, 05:37 PM
Its a year round job. We often act as parents to kids who come to school. I love my profession and will work what i get paided for but would like a little more cash /images/graemlins/frown.gif

pokertonbear1
07-23-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it because teachers get summers off? Is it because teachers are overpaid? I'm just curious. And yes, I'm a teacher.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apples aside, do your students give you gifts for Christmas and at the end of the year? Maybe a tip would be more appreciated since teacher salaries are low, but little gifts seem more appropriate.

jakethebake
07-23-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its a year round job. We often act as parents to kids who come to school. I love my profession and will work what i get paided for but would like a little more cash /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really pathetic in so many ways.