PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about top set versus flush draws...

flopking
07-21-2005, 04:58 PM
I have been doing alot better at NL ring games recently by not moving in when I feel I have the best hand (vs draw or weaker kicker), but by keeping betting control. Here is an example where I wasn't quite sure what to do when I had the nuts on the flop, but was facing several draws.

0.25-0.50 NL. I have been experimenting with playing loose and aggressive pre-flop/flop. Table has been starting to play back at me a bit tho.

I have a stack of about $20 and am on the button. It folds to CO (decent player, a bit on tilt from some drawouts), who limps in for 0.25. I have T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif on the button, I make it $1 to go, SB folds, the BB (a tight player) calls, CO Calls.

Flop is T/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Checks to me... I figure I will probably take it down here, so I bet out $3. Suprisingly the SB raises me to $6, +1 calls. There is now $18 in the pot...

I figure the CO is on a draw to call $6 cold after the raise from the SB... maybe J9 or a flush, as he would have come over the top with a great hand at this point. The BB's raise seems to have some strength, as he deliberated for a bit, then raised small, kinda to suck me in... my actual read at the time was that he hit bottom or middle set (which was quite a bit off). I figure if I push for my remaining $16 he will call (he has me barely covered), figuring me for Tx, overpair or a flush draw... and the CO will definitely call if he is drawing to the flush or open ended...

With top set I think you have to push here, but if I call the $3, and a club comes off on 4th street, I can still release my hand if the CO pushes on me.

Thoughts?

snappo
07-21-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
0.25-0.50 NL.

folds to CO who limps in for 0.25

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you meant 0.10-0.25 NL?

I would push the flop.

BigF
07-21-2005, 05:09 PM
this is a no-brainer push on the flop.

nuSFwck
07-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Given the fact that 1. you're ahead and 2. you believe both players will call your push, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be getting all in here.

Going with your read, I think you're leaving money on the table by not pushing every time. You're ahead and you think they'll both call a push. Arr inn babay.

imported_anacardo
07-21-2005, 05:26 PM
What you've been experiencing is variance.

What you WANT with the nuts is as much variance as is humanly possible.

Poosh eet.

djoyce003
07-21-2005, 05:43 PM
all you can eat baby. You've got one guy who likes his hand, and another who called a checkraise cold. At this point I want all my money in the middle. Charge them the max to suckout on you, pray they don't and triple up.

RIDGE45
07-22-2005, 01:49 AM
I think this one has been pretty much covered. Get your money in there ASAP. You flop the nuts with top set and you got a guy raising and a guy cold calling, you just have to push. Even if they hit their draws on the turn you have redraws (1 10, 3 8, etc), you absolutely have to get your money in the middle in this situation.

stu-unger
07-22-2005, 02:52 AM
fold!! no but seriously follow the other posters advice. next time u get into a spot like this ask yourself when u will get another spot where u have the nuts and can get all the money in and get called. as for calling and folding to a flush turn u miss getting all his chips if he misses and u push and u miss your fh redraw if u dont push the flop.