PDA

View Full Version : Two Insane stud hands vs. Maniac

Al_Capone_Junior
02-26-2003, 09:22 AM
Very aggressive online 4-8 stud 4-handed game. I'm in seat 1. The boards of each player, including when they folded, are shown below:

Me: [ 4s Ts ] 8s Js Td 7h [As]
seat 2: [ x,x ] Jh 3h 4d 8d [x]
seat 7: [x,x ] Ah 6d 8h 7c [x]
seat 8: [ x,x ] 9s 7d (folds on 4th)

On 3rd street, I've got a three-flush. All but one spade are live, and I'm low. I bring it in and the next player, who's been playing wildly, raises. As usual. The next player reraises and the fourth player cold calls it all. I call the additional charges and the maniac-type in the 2 seat calls.

On 4th street, the ace bets out and the player in the eight seat folds. I call and Mr. Maniac raises it. The original bettor calls and I three-bet it. The maniac caps the action and we all see 5th.

On 5th street, the ace checks and I check. The maniac bets and we both call.

On 6th street, it's check, check, bet, call, call.

On 7th street, I make the flush with the ace of spades. The ace bets out and I call. Mr. Maniac raises and the ace reraises. I just don't think the maniac has me beat, and I'm not sure about the player with the ace, but I know I'm calling all bets either way. So I throw caution to the wind and pop it again, capping the action. The maniac and the player with the ace both call.

The maniac shows down a flush, jack high, which he caught on the river. Prior to that he also drawing to a flush, , with three hearts (9h Th Jh) as his starting hand. The ace had started with split aces and caught trip aces on the river.

I think there was a lot of over-playing on this hand, including by me.

------------------------

In the next hand, I'm in the one seat, the same maniac is still in the two seat, and new players is in the eight seat, 3 handed.

Below are the boards of each player, in order. Everyone went all the way to the end.

Me: [ 2d Ac] Ah 9s 7d Jc [ 7h ]
Maniac: [ X , X ] 4c 5s As Jd [ X ]
New player: [ X , X ] Js 3s 8d 7s [ X ]

On 3rd, the maniac brings it in for a raise with the 4c. The new guy calls and I raise. Maniac raises again and the new guy calls. I cap it and they both call.

On 4th, I bet and get raised. New guy cold calls and I reraise, both call.

On 5th, I bet and maniac raises again, new guy cold calls and I call with my unimproved aces.

On 6th, I bet and get raised again. The new guy once again cold calls two, and I call the extra one.

On 7th, I checked, maniac bet, new guy called and so did I.

Overplayed again?

The results are below. They astounded me when I saw what these two guys were playing so hard against my aces.

Me: [ 2d Ac] Ah 9s 7d Jc [ 7h ]
Maniac: [ 4h Jh ] 4c 5s As Jd [ Qd ]
New player: [ 9c 8h ] Js 3s 8d 7s [ Ad ]

I won both hands, but I think I was playing more like 10-20 or 15-30 than 4-8 and probably overplayed both.

Andy B
02-26-2003, 11:23 PM
First hand: your call on third street is pretty marginal. The maniac may not have much, but the re-raiser probably has a real hand, yes? And the maniac can three-bet, too. With a small three-flush, you prefer to get in cheap. I probably play the hand myself, but I can't resist flush draws.

I like the smooth call/re-raise on fourth street. On fifth, I would bet my hand. If the maniac raises and knocks out the other guy, great. You have now increased your chances of winning with something like Tens-up. If you continue to bet, folks might misread your hand and fold to a river bluff. If you had caught a blank I'd lean towards checking and calling.

Given that you checked and called fifth, checking and calling on sixth is fine. The only way you're going to win is if you hit something. Betting fifth would have given you more chances to win. On the river, I would have raised right away. Going for the overcall is fine, and if he raises, you can raise it again. When the other guy three-bets, I think you only have a call. He's probably got something. Besides, the maniac might cap it anyway. I don't see capping the river as having a lot of value.

On the second hand, I probably just check and call after I get raised on fifth. I'm typing this before I read the results, but I'm getting the impression that he's rolled-up. Maniacs get hands too, y'know, and when they do, they usually get paid off because people are slow to give them credit for anything. There's enough chance that he isn't that you should call it down, but betting into him on sixth with one pair is a bit optimistic. I'd also be concerned about the guy who's doing all that calling. You have to beat him too, y'know.

OK, now I've read the results. Your opponents' hands are somewhat surprising, but I've seen lots of people show down crap like that. Don't comment on it. Just sit back and win the money.

**MR.MANHATTAN**
03-04-2003, 07:14 PM
hi, on the 1st hand ,i like to chk raise him.....then come out betting 6th st...imo.

**MR.MANHATTAN**
03-04-2003, 07:17 PM
good u won...i like it all until u bet 6th.......i chk ther.......and call on the river........nh.

SittingBull
03-04-2003, 07:44 PM
your buy-in stack. U will win BIG when U do win,BUT will also LOSE big when U lose.
If U have the psychological bankroll to play in this type of game and the chips to backup your plays,go for it!
However,calling 2-bet cold with a small/medium flush is usually incorrect against one or two players with legitimate hands.
However,against random hands,U definitely need to take a stand.
I tend to stay away from high variance games because I want to play my potential drawing hands as cheaply as possible(Andy is correct). /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
Rememer,at any given session,U can win big or lose big in this high SD game.
Happy pokering,
SittingBull