PDA

View Full Version : Sideways Plot

RacersEdge
07-21-2005, 04:24 PM
I watched Sideways yesterday, and the one part I thought was dumb was a guy carrying 2 wedding rings in his wallet.
WTF?

siccjay
07-21-2005, 04:54 PM
What a suck ass movie.

djoyce003
07-21-2005, 04:55 PM
I thought it was pretty funny actually. I'm curious as to why you thought it sucked.

SmileyEH
07-21-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What a suck ass movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite of 2004. To each his own.

-SmileyEH

wayabvpar
07-21-2005, 05:04 PM
I liked it. I am just glad I didn't see it in the theatre- seeing that guy's cack on a 50 foot screen as he chased the main character back to the car would have been horrifying.

TheIrishThug
07-21-2005, 05:05 PM
i didn't feel any need to care about any need about any of the characters
there was no reason for him to go into the house for his friend
the friend ended up getting a way with it
and don't forget the naked fat chick
edit: i forgot the guy was naked too

RacersEdge
07-21-2005, 05:11 PM
I thought it was good overall - except the rings in the wallet thing.

And it was hard to believe a little woman like that could beat the [censored] out of a fairly large guy with just a purse.

SmileyEH
07-21-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

And it was hard to believe a little woman like that could beat the [censored] out of a fairly large guy with just a purse.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a helmet.

-SmileyEH

The Dude
07-21-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It wasn't a purse, it was a motorcycle helmet. And the first shot she got in because he wasn't expecting it at all. Once you hit somebody square in the nose with a helmet, he can't see [censored] to block anything after that.

RacersEdge
07-21-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a helmet.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, a little more believable..I still think he could have protected his face a little more.

The Dude
07-21-2005, 05:19 PM
This was definately my pick for best picture last year. The characters were very diverse and very interesting, their development and interaction was very believable and well done, and there were so many extremely funny points to contrast the slow pace of the movie it made for a nice mix. Also, I thought the story was absalutely delightful. Excellent, excellent movie.

The Dude
07-21-2005, 05:20 PM
Have you ever been hit square in the nose with a very hard object?

RacersEdge
07-21-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, because I protect myself too well.. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Yugoslavian
07-21-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This was definately my pick for best picture last year. The characters were very diverse and very interesting, their development and interaction was very believable and well done, and there were so many extremely funny points to contrast the slow pace of the movie it made for a nice mix. Also, I thought the story was absalutely delightful. Excellent, excellent movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice work. This pretty much sums it all up.

Yugoslav

bernie
07-21-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially when you least expect it. She decked him pretty good.

I liked the flick. Some parts pissed me off, some I really dug.

b

The Dude
07-21-2005, 05:26 PM
So imagine your girlfriend is walking up to you, and you're expecting a big hug 'hello.' Instead, you get a helmet swung in your face. Once you've been hit square in the nose, your eyes tear up so badly it is very difficult to see, not to mention the disorientation of just being nailed in the head with a relatively heavy object.

Oh yeah, and she kept swinging after he hit the ground.

The Dude
07-21-2005, 05:33 PM
Like you Bernie, I don't like affair films. I personally think there are few things in this world more scummish than cheating on a partner who expects you to be faithful, and lying about it to him/her. It gets worse when you ask your friends to help you cover.

That said, him sleeping around wasn't glorified in this film, nor was it inconsequential. The point of the film wasn't that sleeping around on your fiance is bad, but there is never any doubt as to whether it should be looked at in a positive light.

Also, before we ever get to know Paul Giomatti's character, we see him be extremely late, lie to make excuses, be unable to confront situations, drink alcohol while driving, and flat out steal from his mother. This is clearly a profile of somebody I have no interest in having any relationship with whatsoever. And yet by the end of the film I like him tremendously. It's not because his faults aren't there, but because you get to know him on a whole enough scale to see that there is a lot more there beneath the surface, and what's there is kind, honest, good-natured, and sensitive.

It took me awhile to figure out why the writers put in the scene where he steals from his mother, but I really do think it's for that very message. There is more to people than their blatant faults.

I really appreciate films that, while entertaining and enjoyable, have an effect on how I see the world and people. I am very glad to have watched this film, and it is easily in my top ten of all time.

RacersEdge
07-21-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have my own idea, but where do think the title came from?

SL__72
07-21-2005, 06:04 PM
Best film and probably best actor too... (although it would have been cool to see Cheadle win)

KDawgCometh
07-21-2005, 06:12 PM
don't forget all of the blood spilling out of your nose and the fact that your nose has probably balloned up to three times its normal size

KDawgCometh
07-21-2005, 06:14 PM
It was definetly one of my favorites. I really thought that the Avaiator deserved Best Film of the year, but what was awful was Paul Giamatti not being nominated for Best Leading Man was one of the biggest shaft jobs that I have seen.

btw, the independant spirit awards were the better awards show, for anyone who didn't see them

krazyace5
07-21-2005, 06:32 PM
Paul Giamatti fans should check out Duets.

The main story sucks but the side story with Paul is great.

bernie
07-22-2005, 04:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That said, him sleeping around wasn't glorified in this film, nor was it inconsequential. The point of the film wasn't that sleeping around on your fiance is bad, but there is never any doubt as to whether it should be looked at in a positive light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I agree with this. I think one sign that it was well portrayed was that it took me a bit to get over that part and really hit a switch with me. I nearly turned it off as I was pissed at both charactes. The first one for being a scum, and the other for being a spineless wimp about telling him to screw himself. I'm really glad I didn't turn it off. I've watched it 3 times now and recommend it to people. I didn't have near the same focus on that aspect the 2nd time I watched it. Once you get to see how Giomatti's character finally handles everything. One reason I pissed me off is I'd never let a friend get away with putting me in that spot. But the way it worked out was real cool, imo. To me it was a very well done as a good look at a slice of life. Well written and acted. Not to mention, I thoroughly enjoyed when she did deck him with her helmet. But, as you mentioned, it really is just a small part of the flick.

[ QUOTE ]
I really appreciate films that, while entertaining and enjoyable, have an effect on how I see the world and people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to gravitate towards these types too. Put in a typical action flick, and I'm out in 15 mins.

b

bernie
07-22-2005, 04:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Paul Giamatti fans should check out Duets.

The main story sucks but the side story with Paul is great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone just mentioned this flick in the cardroom. Something about traveling around to kareoke (however in the hell you spell it) bars. The way they explained it, it sounded like it was worth a rental.

b

ChipWrecked
07-22-2005, 04:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was told that in the book, 'sideways' was code for 'drunk'.

daveymck
07-22-2005, 05:08 AM
I watched it last night and enjoyed it, dont think it was especially funny or a fantastic story but it was a decent way to spend a couple of hours drinking a couple of beers and chilling.

I also feel I am getting old cos I though the waitress woman he was hitting on was really hot not overlly attractive but some sparkle to her that made her really attractive.

Its not really a film that I would want to watch multiple times though.

cpitt398
07-22-2005, 05:10 AM
Weding rings coe in two's. His and Hers. You get them together so they will match. Keeping them in his wallet was dumb, but I am assuming you are talking about the number in question.

RacersEdge
07-22-2005, 11:43 AM
I was just thinking I have a hard time keeping a quarter in my wallet - 2 rings would make it really bulky.

RacersEdge
07-22-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was told that in the book, 'sideways' was code for 'drunk'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm....whose code - the main characters? I've never heard this as a common term for being drunk.

I was thinking it was how you kind of hold a glass of wine sideways to examine it like a serious wine drinker would do.