PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Sklansky: Which Physics book to buy?

cookmg
07-21-2005, 04:18 PM
Are there any particular authors or books that you would suggest to a layperson looking to expand his knowledge of modern physics. Penrose? Hawking? My math and physics background is limited to calculus-based lower division courses in college. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-21-2005, 04:53 PM
I don't know why you'd ask Sklansky to recommend a physics book.

cookmg
07-21-2005, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Zygote
07-21-2005, 05:31 PM
Hawkings book, "a brief history of time", is excellent and a great place to start. The book is not too complicated and is a very enjoyable read. He covers all of the main topics in modern physics in an attempt to answer many of life's questions. He does not go extremely in depth on individual topics, which is the only unfortunate thing, but this keeps the book simple and valuable enough for mainstream readers. Overall, the book will teach you basic theoritical physics and applicaple philosophy.

mmbt0ne
07-21-2005, 06:09 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bitch, you don't talk to a rocket scientist like that! Apologize and ask politely and maybe he'll tell you what you want to know.

drudman
07-22-2005, 01:14 AM
Universe in a Nutshell - Hawking
Fabric of the Cosmos - Greene

That's probably all you need to read.

goofball
07-22-2005, 03:36 AM
I'd recommend The Elegant Universe by Greene. Depending on your mathematics background the Feynman lectures are very good as well.

Spacetime Physics is also very good. It's a textbook and has some math in it, but I believe a smart collgge educated layperson could, with a small amount of work, understand most of the material.

ihardlyknowher
07-22-2005, 03:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd reccomend The Elegant Universe by Greene. Depending on your mathematics background the Feynman lectures are very good as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo!