PDA

View Full Version : Going to Chicago with the wife looking for good restaurants.

joeski19
07-21-2005, 03:48 PM
We pretty much have the trip planned out, but I’m looking for some good restaurants. Nothing too fancy, but not a dive either a good Italian place would be nice. We are staying at the Le Meridian on Rush St if that helps.

Thanks

FouTight
07-21-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We pretty much have the trip planned out, but I’m looking for some good restaurants. Nothing too fancy, but not a dive either a good Italian place would be nice. We are staying at the Le Meridian on Rush St if that helps.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Just got back from chicago, we went to this italian place that was about $30/person, but I was super drunk, can't remember the name of it, or where it was, I'll get back to you on that (it was really good though, mostly northern italian food)

quadzilla
07-21-2005, 03:57 PM
I don't get down there to often but check here for some ideas

link (http://www.metromix.com)

IronDragon1
07-21-2005, 03:58 PM
Pick up a copy of "Chicago" magazine

davelin
07-21-2005, 04:00 PM
I know you asked for Italian but there are some pretty good steak places in the area you're staying in (Morton's, Gibson's). If you're willing to take a cab one of my favorite Italian restaurants is Francesca's on Taylor St.

istewart
07-21-2005, 04:02 PM
This probably isn't still there, but I liked a place called Hat Dance a lot. Also Gino's.

gilper
07-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Not Italian and requires a cab ride but La Sardine is very good modestly priced French restaurant. They have good food and good service, pretty casual.

Jersey Nick
07-21-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't eaten here for several years, but Gene & Georgetti's (http://tinyurl.com/84vhw) is one of my all time favorite places for a steak. Good pasta too.

KDawgCometh
07-21-2005, 07:13 PM
Bob Chin's Crabhouse is really great. I know that someone mentioned Gibson's, and I will second that one. If you get a chance to get out to the north suburbs go to Poochies in Skokie/Evanston(its on the border of the two towns)for a real good italian beef

GoblinMason (Craig)
07-21-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bob Chin's Crabhouse is really great.

[/ QUOTE ]

joeski19
07-21-2005, 09:23 PM
Ok cool I'm taking notes. Thanks

oneeye13
07-22-2005, 05:43 AM
vinci's... get the grilled polenta with mushrooms.

usmfan
07-22-2005, 10:35 AM
The wife and I ate a nice little Italian place right down the street from 2nd city. It was called Dinotto Ristorante (http://chicago.citysearch.com/profile/11613502/chicago_il/dinotto_ristorante.html?specialty_id=32)

CollinEstes
07-22-2005, 10:39 AM
If I were you I would try to go to the Chicago Chop House. That is one hell of a place. But you proabably will need a reservation.

One of the best steakhouses in the US.

bugstud
07-22-2005, 10:40 AM
how has fogo de chao not been mentioned?

brazilian steakhouses are the nuts, and are much better than american style steakhouses. You won't be let down.

EDIT - fogo! (http://www.fogodechao.com/)

joeski19
07-22-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If I were you I would try to go to the Chicago Chop House. That is one hell of a place. But you proabably will need a reservation.

One of the best steakhouses in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the one were they come over to you with a tray full of steaks to show them too you before they cook them?

jnalpak
07-22-2005, 11:17 AM
if your girl is a meat eater /images/graemlins/wink.gif you will love this place...definitly up there with NY chopshops.

CollinEstes
07-22-2005, 11:23 AM
No I don't think they come over to show you the steaks. I went there about 5 years ago and thought it was one of the best places I had ever eaten. Really cool place too, it is three stores with a bar/cigar louge area on the first floor and more of the resturant on the top two floors. Another cool thing there is the old photos they have hanging throughout, they actually have an orginial mug shot of Al Capone.

I live in Texas and have been to Fogo which is awesome and I have been to Del Frisco in Dallas which is considered one of the best in the country and I have been to Bobby Vans in NY and I like the Chop House in Chicago the best. It is world class. But be prepared to spend 70-100 or up to 150 for a bottle of wine.

drewjustdrew
07-22-2005, 11:50 AM
There is an Italian place called Volare within walking distance (not sure where on Rush that hotel is) that is pretty good. Grand and St. Claire. It has a little outdoor area. Not amazing scenery or anything. Also, in the NBC building on the upper level of Illinois, there is an italian place called Pazzo I think. I can't comment on their food. I just go to school across the street.

Jersey Nick
07-22-2005, 12:52 PM
I can't believe I forgot the Italian Village (http://tinyurl.com/83pny) in the loop. Cibo eccellente.

drewjustdrew
07-22-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe I forgot the Italian Village (http://tinyurl.com/83pny) in the loop. Cibo eccellente.

[/ QUOTE ]

citanul
07-22-2005, 01:17 PM
i don't know the exact price range you're looking for, but both Cafe Spiaggia and Osteria Via Stado are very good and not in the "very expensive" set. www.chireader.com (http://www.chireader.com) => restaurants is a very good resource, as is www.metromix.com (http://www.metromix.com), sorry for not making the links.

if you don't mind a wait, Frontera Grill is some of the best Mexican food in the country. in the same area-ish as Frontera is a place called Tizi Melloul, a Moroccan place that is very good. Nearby there is also a place called Sugar that is a desert bar. Really fantastic stuff.

there's tons of great stuff downtown. if you just want steak or fish of some type, finding it won't be hard.

if you want more later i'll come back and provide more /images/graemlins/smile.gif

citanul

Tyler Durden
07-22-2005, 01:20 PM
Gino's East. Nothing else need be said.

citanul
07-22-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

blech. if you like corn meal in your pizza crust.

citanul

drewjustdrew
07-22-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

The sausage disks are nasty. If you go, avoid them.

Tyler Durden
07-22-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

I do and the OP prob does also. You're a freak if you don't.

citanul
07-22-2005, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

I do and the OP prob does also. You're a freak if you don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

also, general rule of pizza places:

it shouldn't take 90 minutes to get seated.
seriously, wtf?

KDawgCometh
07-22-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lou Malnati's>>>Gino's East

citanul
07-22-2005, 02:17 PM
pequods >>> lou's

IggyWH
07-22-2005, 02:19 PM
I enjoyed Didka's but not so sure it's a place you want to take wifey.

wayabvpar
07-22-2005, 02:21 PM
Just had a conversation with our HR person at work- she is from Chicago, and went back and visited last week. I joked before she left that she needed to bring me back some good Chicago pizza. Inspired by that, she asked her brother to bring home some pizza while she was there visiting. He brought home Domino's.

Shouldn't that be against the law? I would have slapped the [censored] out of him!

KDawgCometh
07-22-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
pequods >>> lou's

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

drewjustdrew
07-22-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pequods >>> lou's

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

[/ QUOTE ]

Never heard of it, where is it located?

citanul
07-22-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pequods >>> lou's

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

[/ QUOTE ]

Never heard of it, where is it located?

[/ QUOTE ]

diagonal across the street from the webster place movie theaters, i think it's webster and clybourne?

for something more "unique" than traditional chicago style pizza, try the Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Co. At I think 2121 N Clark. No reservations, cash only. They make their pizzas upsideown in individual ramikins, like pot pies, and pop them out on a plate. Expect a longish wait though.

For interesting thin crust pizza, try Brick's (or maybe it's Bricks). Good beer selection as well.

The moral I guess is that there's a ton of great food around.

Just please god don't come to chicago to go to ruth's chris.

joeski19
07-22-2005, 03:05 PM
Ok Thanks. Got a great list here, and I totally forgot about chicago pizza. Now I know where to have lunch. How about a list of places's not to go to? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

drewjustdrew
07-22-2005, 03:17 PM
Speaking of webster, I like Bacino's too for pizza. Webster and Lincoln, I think.

citanul
07-22-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok Thanks. Got a great list here, and I totally forgot about chicago pizza. Now I know where to have lunch. How about a list of places's not to go to? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, forgot to mention: you're on rush, which means that you're steps away from a pile of restaurants (most overpriced and not as good as they look, but you won't get a bad meal at any of them really). other thing about frontera: best margaritas ever (shaken, not blended).

in terms of where not to go... meh. that's pretty intuitive /images/graemlins/smile.gif there aren't really that many places that you would walk into that you would be unhappy with.

lawry's steakhouse (prime rib) is in the middle of downtown as well, and does lunch sandwiches, i think. very good stuff. cool mansion atmosphere.

citanul

citanul
07-22-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of webster, I like Bacino's too for pizza. Webster and Lincoln, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

bacino's is quite good. i'm not too big a fan of the way they changed their downtown loaction (just off michigan and wacker) much as i'm not too big a fan of the way they changed the pequod's atmosphere.

i'm actually supposed to be going and meeting up with a couple poker players for lunch at pequods today in a bit if anyone's interested.

usmfan
07-22-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lou Malnati's>>>Gino's East

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know Gino's East, but LM's was very tasty for a low key pizza.

citanul
07-22-2005, 03:25 PM
jesus, how many of us are in chicago?

KDawgCometh
07-22-2005, 07:16 PM
we can't forget to tell him to go to the Weiner's Circle late night for one of a kind service(has to be after 1am to get the real service /images/graemlins/smirk.gif), its on N. Clark

KDawgCometh
07-22-2005, 07:18 PM
I'm in jersey right now, but I grew up in wilmette and am moving back in june, which is why I'm a malnati's fan(Rick graduated from my HS many years before me)

IggyWH
07-22-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
we can't forget to tell him to go to the Weiner's Circle late night for one of a kind service(has to be after 1am to get the real service /images/graemlins/smirk.gif), its on N. Clark

[/ QUOTE ]

That place was funny as hell... I wandered in there drunk last fall (first time in Chi-town and we stayed at the Days Inn Gold Coast). I bet it freaks out a lot of tourists who have no clue what's going on. As I said I was drunk so I just thought it was funny stuff.