PDA

View Full Version : Another Preflop Strategy Question

PokerProdigy
07-21-2005, 02:08 PM
I (eventually) want to get into the $10/20 and $15/30 games. Since these games are generally tighter than the low limit games, it will influence the starting hands that I decide to play. I am looking for any book recommendations, article recommendations, and personal advice that should help me with preflop strategy. Basically I am looking for a general strategy which can be applied in these tighter games.

W. Deranged
07-21-2005, 02:10 PM
Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players is designed for tougher mid-limit games. The pre-flop discussion and charts are thorough.

ike
07-21-2005, 02:20 PM
I've never seen preflop advice for tight full games in a book that I felt totally satisfied with. HPFAP is a good place to start but they reccomend limping in EP with some hands I think should be folded and I was just rereading it last night and discovered that their blind stealing advice is just bizarre. Apparently you're supposed to raise down to group 8 first in from the button (which includes monsters such as 35s, 34s, and 45o) but they recommend only raising A6o against very tight or very weak players. I know that preflop debate is generally disapproved of on these boards but I'd honestly be interested in what the consensus is on some simple preflop situations. I'm especially curious what people do first in from each position, since this comes up so often everyone who plays seriously must have a default plan from which they deviate fairly little.
Honestly though, as long as you don't do anything retarded preflop doesn't matter that much in the bigger games. Most of the decisions that are hard also run extremely close, I think.