PDA

View Full Version : Insect Cruelty

RacersEdge
07-21-2005, 11:46 AM
When you were a kid, did you do the thing where you used the sun and a magnifying glass to burn the wings off insects?

New001
07-21-2005, 11:48 AM
I put salt on a slug once after school and felt awful because of it.

BreakfastBurrito
07-21-2005, 11:53 AM
I was more of a fan of pulling eyes out of lightning bugs and squashing ants one section at a time and watching them squirm. I never felt any regret about any of this however. Perhaps some day I'll get what's coming to me.

dtbog
07-21-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When you were a kid, did you do the thing where you used the sun and a magnifying glass to burn the wings off insects?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did it once to see if it worked.

I didn't get much thrill over torturing something, though.

jakethebake
07-21-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't get your ass kicked nearly enough as a kid.

stabn
07-21-2005, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

miajag81
07-21-2005, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Once when I was 9 or 10 I was outside playing after dark barefoot. When I decided to go inside I stepped on a bunch of slugs that were literally covering the back steps of my house. Scared the hell out of me. I came back out with a can of Morton's salt and unleashed a slug holocaust. Only time I ever did that; I didn't feel bad about it at all.

fimbulwinter
07-21-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Once when I was 9 or 10 I was outside playing after dark barefoot. When I decided to go inside I stepped on a bunch of slugs that were literally covering the back steps of my house. Scared the hell out of me. I came back out with a can of Morton's salt and unleashed a slug holocaust. Only time I ever did that; I didn't feel bad about it at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

fun thing to do with slugs and/or snails:

use salt to imprison them in rings, mazes etc. their little brains never learn. great for the young, upwardly mobile dahmer to be.

fim

MrTrik
07-21-2005, 12:33 PM
We used to catch common house flies and drown them in water. Then take very fine thread and make a loop around their head. Then tape the other end of the thread (4-5" is ideal) to a pencil or just about any other hard surface. Then cover the "drowned" fly with a pile of salt. The fly will come to and you got a little flying whirly bird to laugh at. I guess we were pretty bored at the time.

gorie
07-21-2005, 01:39 PM
EWW BUGS !

..though there was something fun about watching my cousins rip off the legs of a daddy long legs one by one...

M2d
07-21-2005, 01:52 PM
I was more along the lines of catch two spiders and put them in a jar together to make them fight.

Hamish McBagpipe
07-21-2005, 02:02 PM
http://blogsimages.skynet.be/images/000/169/345_SaltMaze%20copier.gif

Zygote
07-21-2005, 02:12 PM
i have always been perticularly prone to mosquito bites and this influenced me as child to wage war on the bugs. I made attempts when i was probably about 10 years old to kill as many bugs as i could. They mostly no longer bother me, but i attempt to painlessly kill any bug who infringes on my space.

I made a post that discusses the moral aspect of this here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2748879&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1) in the philosophy forum.

Benal
07-21-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
EWW BUGS !

..though there was something fun about watching my cousins rip off the legs of a daddy long legs one by one...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever notice the legs will still move once ripped off?

Benal
07-21-2005, 02:38 PM
Rip the legs off of a dragonfly and watch it try to land. Hilarious.

RacersEdge
07-21-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i have always been perticularly prone to mosquito bites and this influenced me as child to wage war on the bugs. I made attempts when i was probably about 10 years old to kill as many bugs as i could. They mostly no longer bother me , but i attempt to painlessly kill any bug who infringes on my space.

I made a post that discusses the moral aspect of this here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2748879&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1) in the philosophy forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the word got out in bugland not to F with you.

shant
07-21-2005, 03:21 PM
Lighting the end of a straw on a WD40 can turns it into the best ant colony flamethrower ever.

MelchyBeau
07-21-2005, 09:50 PM
A guy at work recently put a bug in the ultrasonic bath and turned it on. It didn't come out so well

an ultrasonic bath is something that vibrates water, it is generally used to clean [censored]. The one that we have at work will also pretty much destroy your bones in your hand if you were to insert it into the bath.

Melch

-Skeme-
07-21-2005, 09:59 PM
I've burned insects with magnifying glasses before. They'd smoke and stuff. I've tossed salt on slugs. We used to pick up those big crane flies and throw them into walls. I've found like 3 spiders and a [censored] beetle in my bathroom in the past few months. I had to take 'em out and I kinda felt bad.

wacki
07-21-2005, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why because he has a conscience? Or do you just think this means he's a pussy?

WackityWhiz
07-22-2005, 05:39 AM
I gotta be honest... When I find a bug in the house I try my best to catch it and put it outside. It doesn't matter what it is (unless it's one of those thousand leg thingies). I try to save all things /images/graemlins/cool.gif and those thousand leg fuckers, I leave those for other people to kill, cuz I ain't catching one of them.

They scare me

stigmata
07-22-2005, 07:08 AM
Read the wasp factory. It's all to do with testosterone, apparantly.

JMP300z
07-22-2005, 07:29 AM
At recess, we would kick an anthill and drop a beetle/caterpillar or spider or whatever inside and watch the little guy take the blame for the whole anthill catastrophe... It was pretty awesome.

-JP

wacki
07-22-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Answer my question jake.

jakethebake
07-22-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Both. He has a conscience with regards to slugs?

EliteNinja
07-22-2005, 05:18 PM
You guys are so cruel.
If there's any insect in the house, I put it in a jar or use my hands to set it free outside.

brassnuts
07-22-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You guys are so cruel.
If there's any insect in the house, I put it in a jar or use my hands to set it free outside.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Unless I'm feeling lazy. Then, I just kill the little fucker.

wacki
07-22-2005, 05:36 PM
So feeling bad for torturing an innocent and harmless creature makes you a pussy?

EliteNinja
07-23-2005, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You guys are so cruel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Unless I'm feeling lazy. Then, I just kill the little fucker.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm lazy, I leave it be.

Deftoner
07-23-2005, 04:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Both. He has a conscience with regards to slugs?

[/ QUOTE ]

live and let live.