PDA

View Full Version : sng tracker question

citanul
07-21-2005, 11:36 AM
possibly only answerable by hood =(

the new pokertracker thing has SQL databases as an option. it is then also possible to convert your mdb database file to SQL and then use SQL as your default dbase, making the mdb file sort of obsolete. is there any way to get sng tracker to link up to these SQL files yet, or are there plans to do so in the future?

btw, i just got this program, and it rules.

citanul

Hood
07-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Not quite sure what you mean by "sql files", but I know pokertracker now supports PostgreSQL database as well as access (the mdb files). I plan to add support for this in the next version.

citanul
07-21-2005, 01:09 PM
well i was able, through some finagling, to like, convert the mdb to a sql database, and then remove the mdb (i didn't delete it yet). but now i import straight to the sql database, i think. so new tournaments are not getting put in the mdb file. if i'm totally wrong about how this whole sql thing works, that's cool too.

citanul

Hood
07-21-2005, 01:17 PM
It's a bit confusing to talk about a "sql database", because (getting a bit techy here) SQL is just a language you use to query a database. The MDB file, with is a Microsoft Access Dstabase, is technically a "sql database", because you use SQL to query the data.

Pokertracker has (if what I've read here is correct) now added PostgreSQL support. This is simply another database format, which is also queried by SQL (which is why it's relatively easy to support more than one database system).

If you've moved over to a PostgreSQL database, then your MDB database is obviously not being used any more. SNG Tracker currently only supports importing from a pokertracker MDB database. V0.2 will hopefully support importing from a postgreSQL DB too.

Until then, there's not much you can do other than import data to SNG Tracker through another method till the next version is out.

fnord_too
07-21-2005, 01:21 PM
When do you think V 0.2 will hit the street? I can export to text files and import, no? (Or is that for the big ass spreadsheet that also does not support postgresSQL yet? meh, I converted too soon, two great new (to me) tools and I can't easily use them yet.)

citanul
07-21-2005, 01:23 PM
cool. thanks.

last question for now: is there a way to use two "Default player names?" I can only get it to list my party account right now.

citanul

Hood
07-21-2005, 01:33 PM
Not sure when v0.2 will be out. I had hoped the end of the week but that's not looking too likely at the mo.

Yes, you can directly import from a text file or a folder with text files, assuming the exported text files are in exactly the same format that Party would write itself.

Hood
07-21-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
cool. thanks.

last question for now: is there a way to use two "Default player names?" I can only get it to list my party account right now.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, if you use watches. These watch the folder and auto-imports for you. You can set up a different player name for each watch.

Other than that, you need to keep switching player name every time.

This will also change in the next version.

sahala
07-21-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
btw, i just got this program, and it rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just got it too. PokerTracker was great but way too complicated, and I hated the manual entry of tournament details. Plus, the ROI calculation in SNG tracker seems to be more accurate.

pergesu
07-21-2005, 03:52 PM
Any chance you'll have it calculate hourly rate? This is my "official" feature request.

Hood
07-21-2005, 07:44 PM
If anyone can come up with a smart algorithm to calculate this, please let me know. I'm scratching my head at the moment.

axeshigh
07-21-2005, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If anyone can come up with a smart algorithm to calculate this, please let me know. I'm scratching my head at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't you just use the same algorithm that is used by the spreadsheet? Someone posted their software called sngpro that calculated hourly rate too.

I had a request too, that instead of just the finish position graph there would be a way to tell the exact % of any of the finishes. (maybe there is already a way to find out and I just didn't figure it out)

And thanks for the nice program!

Hood
07-22-2005, 03:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can't you just use the same algorithm that is used by the spreadsheet?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, because

a) I don't understand it, and
b) For each record, i think it queries all the other data to see what 'unique' time it has. This results in an n^2 passes through the data. I'm sure you can get it working through only n.

If I'm wrong, feel free to explain this to me further:

=IF(V14>=MAX(INDIRECT("W13:W" &ROW()-1)),X14,IF(W14>MAX(INDIRECT("W13:W" &ROW()-1)),(W14-MAX(INDIRECT("W13:W" &ROW()-1)))*60*24,0))

[ QUOTE ]
Someone posted their software called sngpro that calculated hourly rate too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Search for 'sngpro' turns a blank.

[ QUOTE ]

I had a request too, that instead of just the finish position graph there would be a way to tell the exact % of any of the finishes. (maybe there is already a way to find out and I just didn't figure it out)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is in the next version.

[ QUOTE ]
And thanks for the nice program!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks!

Slim Pickens
07-22-2005, 03:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a) I don't understand it

[/ QUOTE ]
Neither do I. I wish I could be of more help here.

Hood
07-22-2005, 03:43 AM
ok picking through that excel math I've got:

IF starttime > max(all_other_end_times)
Multi_duration = tourney_duration

ELSE
If endtime > max(all_other_end_times)
Multi_duration = endtime - max(all_other_end_times)
Else
Multi_duration = 0

Yes, that seems to make sense. I may be able to translate that in to a SQL query... but it would really slow things down for a large database.

axeshigh
07-22-2005, 04:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Search for 'sngpro' turns a blank.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oddly enough, the name of the software is mentioned nowhere in this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=2706767 &fpart=&PHPSESSID=) post.

Don't know if it will be of any help. The software seems to be buggy, it stopped importing for me after 150 sngs or so, but it did calculate a lot of stuff that the tracker doesn't do (this isn't a complaint or anything, far from it).