PDA

View Full Version : Best Comedy of the Last 30 years - Round Two

swede123
07-21-2005, 10:51 AM
Some interesting things went on in the first round. No love for Woody Allen it seems, nor much love for many older, classic comedies. We'll see what happens in round two...

samjjones
07-21-2005, 10:53 AM
I predict HUGE Caddyshack and Animal House wins this round.

daveymck
07-21-2005, 11:14 AM
Well it looks like one of the Lampoons will go one more and dumb and dumber to get rid of next.

American Piev Life of Brian should be no contest but maybe a lot of the younger ones here will go for American Pie.

MrWookie47
07-21-2005, 11:43 AM
With as many posts as I saw touting Zoolander as the funniest thing since the first pie in the face, I'm kinda surprised to see it go down hard. I haven't seen Caddyshack, actually, so I refrained from voting in that one. Looks like I need to, though. Trading Places as well.

Clarkmeister
07-21-2005, 11:43 AM
Anyone who voted for Mall Rats or Zoolander, please raise your hand so I can add you to my ignore list. Thank you.

touchfaith
07-21-2005, 11:54 AM
Damn, The Blues Brothers is like my Gigantes around here...

No respect even though we all know it/they will win in the end. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Publos Nemesis
07-21-2005, 12:06 PM
I agree that zoolander was terrible, but was wrong with Mallrats? Having had to go to college in NJ, the movie was pretty darn funny (and, sadly, fairly realistic). I also liked the Princess Bride, but in a headsup match, I think that it goes down hard like the Sicilian.

J. Sawyer
07-21-2005, 12:13 PM
blues brothers sucked

Clarkmeister
07-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Princess Bride is an all-time great movie, not just a great comedy.

diebitter
07-21-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree PB is a great movie (better than mallrats), but mallrats is a better comedy.

No, I don't understand this either.

Clarkmeister
07-21-2005, 12:16 PM

touchfaith
07-21-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

24 wasn't a comedy, but Keefer was ok... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Amid Cent
07-21-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen Caddyshack, actually, so I refrained from voting in that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

This fact alone should prohibit you from ever speaking in a public forum again. Ever. Seriously.

Gallopin Gael
07-21-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
American Piev Life of Brian should be no contest but maybe a lot of the younger ones here will go for American Pie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

It's the better of the two Python movies on this list.

Gallopin Gael
07-21-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
blues brothers sucked

[/ QUOTE ]

So do the Giants.

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jakethebake
07-21-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
blues brothers sucked

[/ QUOTE ]

Your parents should have split your head with a can of Campbell's Cream of Tomato at birth.

Bulldog
07-21-2005, 01:30 PM
BEEF JERKY TIME!

You want some beef jerky?

Cancer Merchant
07-21-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
blues brothers sucked

[/ QUOTE ]

It breaks my heart, a boy that young goin' bad.

tdarko
07-21-2005, 01:51 PM
ahhh look at office space baby landslide...oh wait it was agianst that shitty south park movie /images/graemlins/blush.gif

RicktheRuler
07-21-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who voted for Mall Rats or Zoolander, please raise your hand so I can add you to my ignore list. Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

swede123
07-21-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ahhh look at office space baby landslide...oh wait it was agianst that shitty south park movie /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but it has a tough road ahead. Two "vacation" movies in its bracket as well as the Big Lebowski. Group 4 on the other hand is pretty weak overall. I see Princess Bride or Dumb and Dumber going far there. Group 1 is pretty solid, I'm not sure there's enough Monty Python fans out there to boost the Holy Grail too far. Finally, Group 2 is crazy strong, Caddyshack, Blues Brothers, Airplane and the other Python movie. I'd like to think Airplane would advance here, but maybe Caddyshack will beat it out.

To everyone mourning the first round oustings of all these: Annie Hall, Hannah and her Sisters, Tootsie and Manhattan - I definitely feel your pain. People around these parts just don't appreciate "grown up" comedy I guess.

Swede

Shajen
07-21-2005, 02:47 PM
I've only got one thing to say:

BEES!! BEES! EVERYWHERE!!

http://exo.com/~coby/iceepage/farley/blkshp.jpg

DMBFan23
07-21-2005, 02:50 PM
I voted for Old School, rest of the seeds held

jakethebake
07-21-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've only got one thing to say:

BEES!! BEES! EVERYWHERE!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me you didn't vote against Animal house! That's insane!

Shajen
07-21-2005, 03:02 PM
No, I didn't, but Farley's work is usually underrated. The guy was a comedic genius IMO.

However, AH is a classic. Can't go against the classics.

pryor15
07-21-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To everyone mourning the first round oustings of all these: Annie Hall, Hannah and her Sisters, Tootsie and Manhattan - I definitely feel your pain. People around these parts just don't appreciate "grown up" comedy I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

*sigh* that's what happens in a forum full of teenagers and undergrads.

tdarko
07-21-2005, 03:26 PM
annie hall and manhattan should be on the list, the others are close. you can't overflow the poll with woody allen but there definately needs to be one of the great comedians in a best comedy of the last thirty years poll.

tdarko
07-21-2005, 03:28 PM
christmas vacation should be its true competition. that movie keeps on keepin' on.

thedecline19
07-21-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

do i get a welcome package for the ignore list?

seriously, caddyshack lacks funny.

jakethebake
07-21-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there definately needs to be one of the great comedians in a best comedy of the last thirty years poll.

[/ QUOTE ]

except that woody allen isn't one of them.

moondogg
07-21-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy [censored], this is probably the most asinine thing I've ever heard. And I've heard the pretty [censored] up stuff.

thedecline19
07-21-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy [censored], this is probably the most asinine thing I've ever heard. And I've heard the pretty [censored] up stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha ok, i overreacted there...i just dont think its over the top funny like most people do.

jakethebake
07-21-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Forget the ignore lists. Someone this stupid should just be outright banned. In fact ban his IP altogether.

tdarko
07-21-2005, 03:35 PM
this list was voted on by his peers (http://www.talkaboutpeople.com/group/alt.fan.eddie-izzard/messages/46936.html)

bill hicks is my favorite all time but i didn't make the list. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

1. Richard Pryor
2. George Carlin
3. Lenny Bruce
4. Woody Allen
5. Chris Rock
6. Steve Martin
7. Rodney Dangerfield
8. Bill Cosby
9. Roseanne Barr
10. Eddie Murphy
11. Johnny Carson
12. Jerry Seinfeld
13. Robin Williams
14. Bob Newhart
15. David Letterman
16. Ellen DeGeneres
17. Don Rickles
18. Jonathan Winters
19. Bill Hicks
20. Sam Kinison
21. Dennis Miller
22. Robert Klein
23. Steven Wright
24. Redd Foxx
25. Bob Hope
26. Ray Romano
27. Jay Leno
28. Jack Benny
29. Milton Berle
30. Garry Shandling
31. George Burns
32. Albert Brooks
33. Andy Kaufman
34. Buddy Hackett
35. Phyllis Diller
36. Jim Carrey
37. Martin Lawrence
38. Bill Maher
39. Billy Crystal
40. Mort Sahl
41. Jon Stewart
42. Flip Wilson
43. Dave Chappelle
44. Joan Rivers
45. Richard Lewis
46. Adam Sandler
47. Henny Youngman
48. Tim Allen
49. Freddie Prinze
50. Denis Leary
51. Lewis Black
52. Damon Wayans
53. David Brenner
54. DL Hughley
55. Alan King
56. Colin Quinn
57. Richard Jeni
58. Larry Miller
59. Gilbert Gottfried
60. Jeff Foxworthy
61. Bobcat Goldthwait
62. Eddie Griffin
63. Jackie Mason
64. Richard Belzer
65. Cedrick the Enter.
66. Shelley Berman
67. Kevin Pollak
68. Dave Attell
69. Pat Cooper
70. Wanda Sykes
71. Red Buttons
72. Bernie Mac
73. Billy Connolly
74. Paul Rodriguez
75. Eddie Izzard
76. Robert Schimmel
77. Paul Reiser
78. Sinbad
79. Dom Irrera
80. Bobby Slayton
81. Dick Gregory
82. Howie Mandel
83. Norm MacDonald
84. Drew Carey
85. David Cross
86. Jay Mohr
87. Brett Butler
88. Paula Poundstone
89. Kevin James
90. Dana Carvey
91. Jim Breuer
92. Louie Anderson
93. George Wallace
94. David Alan Grier
95. Andrew 'Dice' Clay
96. Joey Bishop
97. Sandra Bernhard
98. Louis CK
99. Janeane Garofalo
100. Gallagher

moondogg
07-21-2005, 03:37 PM
Sinbad beats Norm McDonald? Your list seems to be broken.

jakethebake
07-21-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this list was voted on by his peers (http://www.talkaboutpeople.com/group/alt.fan.eddie-izzard/messages/46936.html)

[/ QUOTE ]

So many things wrong with that list, where do you start?

tdarko
07-21-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your list seems to be broken.

[/ QUOTE ]
why do call it my list? this was done months back on comedy central and voted on by all the comedians on who they thought was the best.

tdarko
07-21-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So many things wrong with that list, where do you start?

[/ QUOTE ]
i am sure you know better than the actual people that toured with them and played the same nightclubs night after night with them and actually saw crowds reactions on a daily basis. IMO a peer poll like this about comedians would have to be the closest to accurate instead of an audience poll because the comedians see the crowds reactions every night whereas jake you don't like woody allen movie's so you say he isn't a comedic great when this is clearly wrong b/c the influences not only on comedy but film outweighs most writer/actor/directors etc. in this poll. if you saw the show on comedy central you would understand the respect that these comedians have achieved and i am talking about woody allen, george carlin, richard pryor etc.

nobody will ever agree with a list b/c its an opinion and it wasn't formed by YOU.

jakethebake
07-21-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i am sure you know better than the actual people that toured with them and played the same nightclubs night after night with them and actually saw crowds reactions on a daily basis. IMO a peer poll like this about comedians would have to be the closest to accurate instead of an audience poll because the comedians see the crowds reactions every night whereas jake you don't like woody allen movie's so you say he isn't a comedic great when this is clearly wrong b/c the influences not only on comedy but film outweighs most writer/actor/directors etc. in this poll. if you saw the show on comedy central you would understand the respect that these comedians have achieved and i am talking about woody allen, george carlin, richard pryor etc.

nobody will ever agree with a list b/c its an opinion and it wasn't formed by YOU.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree completely with this whole premise. The purpose of comedy is to entertain the audiences. not the entertainers themselves. What you're describing is masturbation, a circle jerk.

pryor15
07-21-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there definately needs to be one of the great comedians in a best comedy of the last thirty years poll.

[/ QUOTE ]

except that woody allen isn't one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're silly...and stupid.

tdarko
07-21-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I disagree completely with this whole premise. The purpose of comedy is to entertain the audiences. not the entertainers themselves. What you're describing is masturbation, a circle jerk.

[/ QUOTE ]
sorry i am not good at explaining things sometimes jake. the peer poll wasn't based on what made the comedians laugh themselves it based on what they say night after night. these comedians based their decisions on what they saw in the audience every night and who they knew was respected. i think you missed my point jake.

jakethebake
07-21-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sorry i am not good at explaining things sometimes jake. the peer poll wasn't based on what made the comedians laugh themselves it based on what they say night after night. these comedians based their decisions on what they saw in the audience every night and who they knew was respected. i think you missed my point jake.

[/ QUOTE ]

i didn't miss it, but i didn't see anywhere where it says that's what the poll was based on or how the poll was made, or how the renkings were determined, etc. i think we all know that when you poll people about peers, it's just a popularity contest regardless of what it is supposed to be based on.

07-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Zoolander !?

tdarko
07-21-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i didn't miss it, but i didn't see anywhere where it says that's what the poll was based on or how the poll was made, or how the renkings were determined, etc. i think we all know that when you poll people about peers, it's just a popularity contest regardless of what it is supposed to be based on.

[/ QUOTE ]
you're right jake woody allen's 4th place nod was clearly based on popularity amongst his peers, everyone just loves him and completely agrees with his personal choices. how did i miss that? crap.

Nottom
07-21-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I voted for Mallrats but only becasue I don't think The Princess Bride should be on this list even though it is by far the better movie.

Luv2DriveTT
07-21-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I agree Mallrats was horrible, I just lost a ton of respect for you Clark with your statement above. I think you need to hang out some more with Andy Fox, he has far better movie taste than you /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

TT

The once and future king
07-21-2005, 06:44 PM
I know this is a poll but if American pie beats Life of Brian you should make an executive decision and over rule it as it is blashpemy.

Clarkmeister
07-21-2005, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

do i get a welcome package for the ignore list?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Clarkmeister
07-21-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your list seems to be broken.

[/ QUOTE ]
why do call it my list? this was done months back on comedy central and voted on by all the comedians on who they thought was the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shows what they know. Of course, NFL players vote for the Pro Bowl and they get it wrong all the time too.

Clarkmeister
07-21-2005, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I voted for Mallrats but only becasue I don't think The Princess Bride should be on this list even though it is by far the better movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad your principles are misguided.

Clarkmeister
07-21-2005, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I agree Mallrats was horrible, I just lost a ton of respect for you Clark with your statement above. I think you need to hang out some more with Andy Fox, he has far better movie taste than you /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

TT

[/ QUOTE ]

So let's be clear. Did you vote for Mallrats or no?

tdarko
07-21-2005, 10:50 PM
clark,

do you think it's possible to ever do a poll of say a top 100 and have a large number of people completely agree on it? not argueing with you b/c i never said the list was perfect myself, i posted it because woody allen was 4th on it so apparently he is one of the great comedians of our time whether you like him or not and thats what i was trying to get across to jake.

Clarkmeister
07-21-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
clark,

do you think it's possible to ever do a poll of say a top 100 and have a large number of people completely agree on it? not argueing with you b/c i never said the list was perfect myself, i posted it because woody allen was 4th on it so apparently he is one of the great comedians of our time whether you like him or not and thats what i was trying to get across to jake.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, I didn't even look at the list. Someone said Norm was ranked behind Sinbad, which is absurd, and I've seen them both live. Norm as a stand-up comedian is simply brilliant. Sinbad is good, but not in the same league.

wacki
07-21-2005, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TT

[/ QUOTE ]

Lost a ton of respect???? Well my respect for clarky just went up another notch. How can you say such a thing? That movie is a classic.

CallMeIshmael
07-21-2005, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Zoolander beat Annie Hall right?

If this is true, this poll really should stop there. Its results are meaningless.

Clarkmeister
07-21-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Zoolander beat Annie Hall right?

If this is true, this poll really should stop there. Its results are meaningless.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was meaningless when Let it Ride didn't even qualify for the play-in poll. Especially when you consider it's a gambling movie in a gambling forum.

tdarko
07-21-2005, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It was meaningless when Let it Ride didn't even qualify for the play-in poll. Especially when you consider it's a gambling movie in a gambling forum.

[/ QUOTE ]
wow i can't believe this, i didn't pay attention to the preliminary stuff--too many posts to comb through.

JoeU
07-21-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Quotes like this get you the electric chair in some states!

Joe

mmbt0ne
07-21-2005, 11:42 PM
Did I miss the part where I vote for Super Troopers?

Luv2DriveTT
07-22-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TT

[/ QUOTE ]

So let's be clear. Did you vote for Mallrats or no?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a protest vote /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Anything BUT Princess Bride.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

daryljobe777
07-22-2005, 02:55 AM
I totally missed round 1...but where is my absolute favorite...SUPER TROOPERS?!?!

ihardlyknowher
07-22-2005, 03:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought Zoolander and Mallrats were funny but they cannot get a vote up against 2 of the funniest movies of all time.

Clarkmeister
07-22-2005, 07:56 AM
That's too bad.

ChipWrecked
07-22-2005, 08:11 AM
A. 16. Ellen DeGeneres

That is criminal.

B. I know there's only 100 spots, but no Patton Oswalt is just wrong. Especially since Paula frickin' Poundstone is on there, I don't believe she's been on a stage in five years.

dcasper70
07-22-2005, 08:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know this is a poll but if American pie beats Life of Brian you should make an executive decision and over rule it as it is blashpemy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Life of Brian is brilliant. Too bad the majority of posters obviously haven't seen it....

Keep in mind this forum is full of people who voted Zoolander over Annie Hall, think Caddyshack lacks funny and think Blues Brothers sucked....

diebitter
07-22-2005, 08:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know this is a poll but if American pie beats Life of Brian you should make an executive decision and over rule it
as it is blashpemy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I find this in keeping with the whole thread.

I find the fact that a majority of (American?) voters find American Pie funnier than Life of Brian absolutely hilarious.

Anyway, he can't declare it blasphemy. He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy.

swede123
07-22-2005, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I totally missed round 1...but where is my absolute favorite...SUPER TROOPERS?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Super Troopers got a tough match-up in round one, and was somewhat narrowly defeated (56%/43%) by Life of Brian.

Swede