PDA

View Full Version : how many tv poker shows now?

PokerPaul
07-21-2005, 10:03 AM
WPT
WSOP
USPC
Celebrity Poker
National HU championship
Ultimate Poker Challenge
2004 WSOP reruns
2003 WSOP reruns
Hollywood Home Game
Poker Superstars Invitational
European POker Tour
Partypoker million tour
At the PLaza

And isnt there some kind of Poker Den show from britain, and also now online live from the Bike?

Anyways, TV Poker novelty is dropping, and the airwaves are getting saturated. There are all kinds of championships, that the meaning of it is just losing its appeal (other than WSOP amin event which truly is regarded as the "championship").

TV poker and boxing are similar in that regard. During the golden years of the late 60's to the 70's, boxing was a grat thing to watch and enjoy. Big fights, with big name fighters, putting it all on the line against the best for the one championship belt. The world champions in each weight class was a household name and fount the top contenders.

Now, there are triple the amount of weight divisions, there are about 5 different organizations each claiming that their title holder is the world champion, so every fight you see on TV is marketed as a championship bout, which in reality is just one chump holding 1 of 5 championship belts for that weight class, fighting some guy who is ranked 20th and a patsy designed so that other chump can keep his artificial belt.

Anyways, with poker not having any central organization, and networks free to show anything they want and label it a "championship", the growth of the games popularity can soon become saturated to the point where people go numb to it.

Wes ManTooth
07-21-2005, 10:15 AM
another new show coming out soon called "PokerJoe" I believe some people posted about this earlier.

detroitplayer
07-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Also, Hollywood Hold 'Em (hosted by Phil Laak, not to be confused with Hollywood Home Game.

And ultimatebet.net something or other on fox sports.

And... uhhh... Tilt.

PokerPaul
07-21-2005, 05:38 PM
forgot abou that one.

too much of a good thing.....like reality TV shows they are popping up, although reality TV has enough ways to make things different, poker is still poker.

Quicksilvre
07-21-2005, 06:56 PM
Late Night Poker was on FSN not too long ago, but I think it got pulled.

deadmoney98
07-21-2005, 08:08 PM
there is something on the speed channel about nascar drivers playing poker, also a variety of forms of poker royale on game show network (GSN)

Trainwreck
07-22-2005, 03:32 PM
I think the fact most of the shows are AI bust out fests will kill it faster then just having too many of them.

I for one am tired of that!

ESPN was really bad 2 years ago, coming back from commercials with a AI bust out hand already at the turn, WTF! If they would also cut down on the FLUFF!

Heads Up on NBC was guilty of this as well.

>TW<

07-24-2005, 12:29 AM
I agree that the television market is becoming saturated. My concern is that in order to gain a larger audience some new show may adopt a WWF Wrestling mentality complete with scripted controversy/drama and head to head "grudge matches". /images/graemlins/mad.gif

stu-unger
07-24-2005, 02:27 AM
im gettin real tired of all the tv poker. not that i dont like that its on tv, for the simple fact that its not poker its a couple of the more interesting hands that occur. i hate how the button all of the sudden goes from seat 2 to seat 8 and u dont see the real action. i realize there are time constraints but come on show how the game is actually played not just "I go all-in"