PDA

View Full Version : New Incidents Reported In London

ThomB
07-21-2005, 08:39 AM
Incidents at 3 underground stations involving a nail bomb at one station and 1 small explosion on a bus.

daveymck
07-21-2005, 08:44 AM
Sounding like some sort of less effective copycat attack, doesnt sound as bad as yet.

[ QUOTE ]
Train passenger Ivan McCracken told Sky News he spoke to an Italian man who witnessed an explosion.

"He told me he had seen a man carrying a rucksack which suddenly exploded. It was a minor explosion but enough to blow open his rucksack. Everyone rushed from the carriage. People evacuated very quickly. There was no panic.

"I didn't see anyone injured but there was shock and fright.

"There was a smell of smoke."

"The man who was holding the rucksack looked extremely dismayed

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto
07-21-2005, 09:03 AM
Doesn't sound as serious as last time, just a detonator on the bus with no casualties....

Vavavoom
07-21-2005, 09:04 AM
This is getting ridiculous.........

Gonna be a big public backlash IMHO...

diebitter
07-21-2005, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is getting ridiculous.........

Gonna be a big public backlash IMHO...

[/ QUOTE ]

In what sense is it getting ridiculous? Backlash against who/what?

Not trying to be argumentative, but really not sure what you mean.

Vavavoom
07-21-2005, 09:14 AM
Erm, I live & work in London.......

The whole threat of not being able to get on trains is ridiculous....Living with a fear that somebody (Suicide Bomber) is willing to take people with them.....

Public Backlash :

1. They will want security improved to the same standard that it is on planes.

2. Unfortunately, To a degree, it doesn't help strengthen ties to the Muslim community (Although, reports are cloudy at this stage), people automatically think they are responsible....

Hope this is a little bit clearer....I'm not being argumentative....but this is not a nice place to be living at the moment....

langley11
07-21-2005, 09:23 AM
I can imagine it must be really hard to live in London right now. I was actually there last weekend for the first time, but I was surprised that in general I din't think one time about the bombings one week earlier. Seems people just continue to live their lives as usual...and what else can they do.

diebitter
07-21-2005, 09:26 AM
Gotcha.

I was asking cos your first post could be read a number of ways (eg backlash against govmt etc etc).

I agree and sympathise. I am from London (don't live there any more), so understand completely the transport/tube issues.

A bit OT - The weirdest one reported was the potential device on the bus in Bethnal Green. Seems a strange place for something like that - more like a right-wing extremist target, I'd speculate. Anyway, better shut up before the conspiracy theorists get onto it...

daveymck
07-21-2005, 09:30 AM
Radio saying there is a unexploded package at shepards bush, sounds as though detonators have gone off but the explosives havent.

Hope its an attention seeking copycat attack as much more worrying if there are going to be multiple attacks.

Vavavoom
07-21-2005, 09:32 AM
diebitter....u probably have a point there.....that could be close.....

[ QUOTE ]
more like a right-wing extremist target, I'd speculate. Anyway, better shut up before the conspiracy theorists get onto it...

[/ QUOTE ]

diebitter
07-21-2005, 09:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
diebitter....u probably have a point there.....that could be close.....

[ QUOTE ]
more like a right-wing extremist target, I'd speculate. Anyway, better shut up before the conspiracy theorists get onto it...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I shoulda kept my fat gob shut :P

Overdrive
07-21-2005, 09:36 AM
Kill ALL the muslims now. Yeah that's what I said, kill the bastards before they kill all of us. Just wait until they get a nuclear bomb - then all hell will really break loose..

diebitter
07-21-2005, 09:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Kill ALL the muslims now. Yeah that's what I said, kill the bastards before they kill all of us. Just wait until they get a nuclear bomb - then all hell will really break loose..

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah man, I knew I shouldn't have mentioned right-wing extremists.

My bad.

Argus
07-21-2005, 09:42 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]
You have a lot of posts for an unfunny gimmick account.

Vavavoom
07-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Don't worry about it......At the moment it could be anyone...The public perception is one of fear at the moment but they are showing a brave face.....

I wasn't saying you were correct but in theory its plausible...

As for the gimmick account......I was expecting a comment like that from some random...

diebitter
07-21-2005, 09:50 AM
Police has just announced it as a serious incident, and asked Londoners to stay where they are. The transport system has been 'shut down' it says on the BBC.

Still, it doesn't sound too serious, but maybe they know stuff we don't yet.

PokerBob
07-21-2005, 10:04 AM
this makes me /images/graemlins/frown.gif and /images/graemlins/mad.gif

imported_Dozer
07-21-2005, 10:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You think this is crazy?

When/if the first suicide bomb goes off in America, there will be a slew of idiots with guns looking to start knocking off anyone who looks of Arab descent or of Muslim faith, including people from India, etc. who are genuinely peaceful.

America is home to plenty of rednecks, psychos, nutjobs, gangstas and weak-thinking policemen. I'm not even Arab and I fear a gross backlash.

PokerBob
07-21-2005, 10:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this makes me even more /images/graemlins/frown.gif and /images/graemlins/mad.gif

jakethebake
07-21-2005, 10:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this makes me /images/graemlins/frown.gif and /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. sympathy and best wishes to our dry-humored friends across the pond.

Morpheus
07-21-2005, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hail Hitler !!

Morpheus
07-21-2005, 10:22 AM
Ever think that Hitler was maybe 50 years ahead of anyone else on the planet ? I mean we got Muslims or Arabs declaring Jihad on us.

SmileyEH
07-21-2005, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ever think that Hitler was maybe 50 years ahead of anyone else on the planet ? I mean we got Muslims or Arabs declaring Jihad on us.

[/ QUOTE ]

fantastic insight

PokerBob
07-21-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You think this is crazy?

When/if the first suicide bomb goes off in America, there will be a slew of idiots with guns looking to start knocking off anyone who looks of Arab descent or of Muslim faith, including people from India, etc. who are genuinely peaceful.

America is home to plenty of rednecks, psychos, nutjobs, gangstas and weak-thinking policemen. I'm not even Arab and I fear a gross backlash.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need to be Arab to fear this, just human.

samjjones
07-21-2005, 10:51 AM
Reading the reports, it sounds like at least one of the bombers f-ed up, and then ran out of the tunnel when his bombs didn't detonate. I am surprised that Londoners didn't beat the living sh*t out of this guy. If this happened in NYC, the guy would have gotten seriously f-ed up.

HopeydaFish
07-21-2005, 12:25 PM
If 9/11 didn't cause the rednecks to go hunting down Muslims in the streets, I doubt a suicide bomber would make this happen. There were a few isolated incidents of mosques getting vandalized, and I'm sure there was a lot of bigotry towards Muslims in the days and weeks after 9/11, but not the "idiots running around with guns looking to kill anyone who looks Muslim" that you were describing. If 9/11 couldn't make this happen, a few suicide bombers won't either.

That's not to say that there wouldn't be a huge fallout from such an event happening on American soil, I just think that the government would be the entity retaliating, and not bands of angry citizens.

xadrez
07-21-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

please reinsert your head back into your ass and seriously consider neutering yourself to ensure you do not reproduce.

poker-penguin
07-21-2005, 12:39 PM
9/11 did result in attacks on the muslim (and other vaguuely simmilar minorities such as sikh) communities.

However, given that the fundamentalists in charge of the States have been demonising muslim terrorists for the last four years, there's now more of a culture in which it is OK to hate Muslim terrorists (the two words are now indelibly linked in a worrying number of people's minds so to some of them Muslim = Terrorist, no ifs buts or maybes.

A small hateful minority will attack, a significantly larger dislike-ful minority will think / say that the Muslims got what they deserved.

BTW Hopey, nobody said that the governments wouldn't be the "idiots with guns"

jakethebake
07-21-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
9/11 did result in attacks on the muslim (and other vaguuely simmilar minorities such as sikh) communities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. I remember some morans spray painting some hindu temple deal by our house in St. Louis. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

mmbt0ne
07-21-2005, 01:08 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Well thank God we have reasonable-minded people like yourself to keep us in line.

Blarg
07-21-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You think this is crazy?

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound a little fearful and maniacal in the first place.

Americans didn't go nuts on 9/11, by a long shot. There were some incidents, but very, very few. This has been an immigrant country since it started.

imported_Dozer
07-21-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You think this is crazy?

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound a little fearful and maniacal in the first place.

Americans didn't go nuts on 9/11, by a long shot. There were some incidents, but very, very few. This has been an immigrant country since it started.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, I hope I am wrong.

Second of all, you're right -- Americans didn't lose it on 9/11. But that might be because the wrong people (read: idiots with guns) didn't know who to go off on. We know now.

Many have acknowledged anti-Muslim vandalism throughout the U.S. I live in Florida, and it's still going on. I also have a good friend who is Muslim, and he says he can just feel people's eyes staring him down wherever he goes. He's muslim and from India.

If vandalism is where ill-minded people do after 9/11, what's next once there are bombers taking lives randomly? Their violence will escalate, our violence will escalate, and things will get crazy. There isn't a better example than what's going on in Iraq or Israel.

I value my freedom as an American, and I don't want my life threatened just because I walk down the street or take a subway.

But the scariest thing in my mind is, what's the solution to this problem? How will terrorism all over the planet end? What's the answer?

And if you reply "There isn't one," then that scares me more. Something will have to give eventually.

Scary.

diebitter
07-21-2005, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If vandalism is where ill-minded people do after 9/11, what's next once there are bombers taking lives randomly? Their violence will escalate, our violence will escalate, and things will get crazy. There isn't a better example than what's going on in Iraq or Israel.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to calm down. Seriously.

Blarg
07-21-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also have a good friend who is Muslim, and he says he can just feel people's eyes staring him down wherever he goes. He's muslim and from India.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but he probably felt like that before 9/11, too.

The truth is, paranoia is recreation for a lot of people, and for others it makes them feel important, and as if the universe is organized along clear, understandable lines instead of endlessly shifting and perhaps often beyond their ken. I can't tell you how many paranoid ethnics I've met, and who have told me or announced to others that they were "sure" somebody was prejudiced, or that everyone was watching them, etc. If they were right one out of 100 times, I would be very surprised. And I know what it's like; I grew up in the Pacific, where I was usually the only white kid on my block, or for many blocks, and the prejudice was actually fierce, overt, and violent in some places. I know what prejudice and paranoia and fear are.

One thing they shouldn't be is recreational or in any way indulged in. That just gives a slap in the face to people who really do have problems and are not indulging themselves in fantasy. And it makes the majority look at the minority as a bunch of whiners crying wolf.

Now I'm not saying that your friend isn't nervous, or that being nervous isn't natural. In this crazy world, you'd be nuts not to be. But people claiming getting the willies means anything should be laughed at out loud, when possible. Certainly the heebie jeebies should not be taken as concrete proof or even something notable. What is notable is that in a country with a population approaching 300 million which suffered the biggest act of war on its soil in half a century, violent reactions against Muslims were quite few.

I do figure it's only a matter of time before an atomic bomb gets detonated in the U.S. by Muslim terrorists. When that happens, I fear for our constitution. It's not on the strongest of grounds as it is today anyway. I'll fear for what happens to non-Muslims as much as Muslims. But we haven't all gone crazy yet, or even done so in numbers worth speaking of. Quite the contrary. That day may very well yet come. But we seem to me to be an incredibly long way away from it, if even something on the order of 9/11 could barely budge us a hair toward it.

Overdrive
07-21-2005, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I do figure it's only a matter of time before an atomic bomb gets detonated in the U.S. by Muslim terrorists. When that happens, I fear for our constitution. It's not on the strongest of grounds as it is today anyway. I'll fear for what happens to non-Muslims as much as Muslims.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. All the calls for 'understanding' towards muslims will be gone once the bombs start popping off here left and right. And when the muslims explode their nuclear weapons in the U.S. I am sure there will still be people calling for 'tolerance' towards the muslims. I think I'm going to move to Tahiti or somewhere while I still can..