PDA

View Full Version : AK How would you play it ** 33$

Ryendal
07-21-2005, 07:43 AM
I would like to know how to play this hand at 33$ or higher buy-in.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t2050)
MP (t950)
Hero (t1035)
Button (t945)
SB (t1620)
BB (t1400)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t250</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls t200, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t600) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, HERO is allin, SB calls t785.

Turn: (t1385) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t1385) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t1385

curtains
07-21-2005, 07:46 AM
What I do is simply move allin preflop.

Ryendal
07-21-2005, 07:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What I do is simply move allin preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you

And if I have 1200 chip instead of 1000, how do you play it ?

curtains
07-21-2005, 07:58 AM
Again I just move allin. Honestly unless my hand is powerhouse I either move allin or fold in this spot most of the time. I move allin with a big hand too, especially if the players after me know me, however if they are a bunch of randoms I might raise less and try to trap.

I don't like to mess around and raise huge % of my stack when the blinds are this high. I'm just not going to let someone reraise me and make me fold.

Of course I have no intention of folding AKo if I got reraised, but I mean with other hands like AJo I would just open allin to not give myself the impossible decision after facing a reraise with 25% of my stack in the pot.

Unarmed
07-21-2005, 09:45 AM
All-in PF.
Given you didn't you're pretty committed to c-betting all-in.

If you both had 15xBB and you had raised 250 just check the flop. If he bets, fold. C-betting paired flops is dangerous because people are less likely to lay down mid-pairs. Besides, would you really push AA on the flop? Probably not, so just check.

wildzer0
07-21-2005, 09:47 AM
Push preflop

bluewilde
07-21-2005, 10:03 AM
Almost 100% of the time I push this preflop, and a lot of the time, that's how I get pushed out of the tourament /images/graemlins/frown.gif. My most common outcome for pushing AK here is busting, second-most common being I get the blinds and third being a double up. I usually get called by any pair, aces as weak as AT, and even KQs sometimes. With the exception of the dominated aces, I'm never too happy to see any of these hands call. So, my question is: is there more subtlety to this move? One common element I'm aware of is that, by chance, I'm often doing this from early position (usually UTG). So yeah, the blinds are the same and the stacks are similar, but this doesn't seem to be working for me. Definately my opponents have wider calling ranges ($11), does that mean I play this differently? Or are the outcomes so far just unlucky and yours is the best line in the long run? Also, is AK an all-in calling hand at this level/these stacks?

Unarmed
07-21-2005, 10:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My most common outcome for pushing AK here is busting

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that really hard to believe...

bluewilde
07-21-2005, 10:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My most common outcome for pushing AK here is busting

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that really hard to believe...

[/ QUOTE ]

Aight, so it must just be a small sample, figured (didn't think AK was unprofitable, but was afraid I was gettin' too trigger happy with it).

durron597
07-21-2005, 10:12 AM
I don't see the point of continuation betting here. If he has a PP you are going to get called. If he has a Jack that he's slowplaying you are going to get called. No worse hand will ever call you (AQ KQ AT or whatever).

You have position, I see no reason not to take a free card. Of course, if he has a Jack, you are in trouble when the ace hits on the turn.

Pushing preflop is probably the best play here. But if you have 1200 chips I make the same raise you did and check behind on the flop.

schwza
07-21-2005, 10:27 AM
my standard would be to c-bet here. i don't want QT to bet the turn and make me fold. if i get called by 88, i still have a lot of outs.

durron597
07-21-2005, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
my standard would be to c-bet here. i don't want QT to bet the turn and make me fold. if i get called by 88, i still have a lot of outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

88 would be a lot more worried about you having a jack here if you check behind on the flop.