PDA

View Full Version : Disguising trips, Party 15/30,20/40

kbfc
07-21-2005, 06:03 AM
Just played a hand that I felt crappy about. I dunno, maybe it didn't really matter. This is 10-handed Party 15/30 or 20/40, don't remember which (playing tables of both).

Preflop:
I limp behind 2 HUGE fish (of the >40% vpip variety) in mid-late position with 89s. Button, who is your standard solid, 21/9 TAG, raises, blinds fold, rest of us call.

Flop comes 882r:
Both fish check. How do I make the most money possible here?

The button is a player that I have about a thousand hands on, and he plays well enough that I assume he recognizes me in sort of the same way. So what's the plan?

On this completely uncoordinated board, I feel like a bet into the raiser is probably going to be raised, blowing the fish off of their queen-highs and not letting them pair the turn, after which there's no way they miss a showdown for any number of bets. If I check-call, I don't know that I can guarantee a turn check-raise being 2nd-to-last with a multiway field calling on a paired, uncoordinated board. I could just bet out on the turn, which perhaps would be more supsicious and look less like an 8, but if the button raises there, its unlikely I get action from the fish unless they have a better 8 than me.

Anyway, I chose to checkraise the field on the flop. On the bigbet streets, I got 1 bet from the button on each street, and the fishies dropped out on the turn.

So how do you generate action on a board like that or should I just be content to pick up the preflop money and whatever scraps I can manage postflop?

I know my game has more important holes to patch than this, and I'm probably whining over 0.1BB EV in a situation you might see once every 500 hands, but I want to start posting more hands here, and this was the first thing that came to mind.

rigoletto
07-21-2005, 06:10 AM
Checkraising the field on the flop is perfect. Many donks peel one of on the flop no matter what, but doesn't stay for the expensive streets, so getting 1½BB ekstra on the flop is great.