PDA

View Full Version : How do you play against a villain giving you 12.5/1 on every hand?

DaveduFresne
07-21-2005, 04:38 AM
Just got rocked by one of the most aggressive players I have ever seen tonight.

His whole play just messed up my game. First example:

(This is at .25/.50 NL)

Maniac raises to $4 (has been raising to this amount virtually every hand)

One caller in mp

I'm on the button with pocket nines

I decide to raise all in, figuring I most likely have the
best hand, and am afraid of overcards on the flop.

He has AQ and calls and of course wins the race.

I know my decision was mathematically correct, but I hate
coinflips as losing them for my stack tends to tilt me, and
against donkeys I think I can usually get a better edge.

Any ideas on how to play the nines here?

I ended up doubling through this guy (as had a number of other players at my table) and I had $130 at this point.

Another player had $250 and villain had $50 bucks or so
when this hand comes up.

Villain raises to his usual $4

$250 Guy calls

I look down at pocket Queens, think about going all in,
but am a little afraid of what $250 guy may have.

I decide to raise to $20, and both call.

Flop comes low unconnected rags, with two spades.

(I don't have Queen of spades)

Gets checked to me.

I bet 40, villain amazingly folds, and $250 guy calls.

Turn completes spade draw, and I check and $250 guy bets
$18.

I call and we both check the river.

He takes about $80 of my stack with pocket Aces.

At $50 buy in NL, I hate losing 80 bucks with just a pair, especially only Queens, but waiting to trip seems a little weak tight.

I just had no clue of how to play against this guy. He almost always raised to 4 dollars which being that in general we both had 50 bucks in our stack gave me 12.5 to one implied to call his raise (most pots were hu). The flop would come, and probably 70% of the time he would go all in.

His folds did have some meaning. If he had top pair or better, he was all in. If he had a flush draw he was also all in. Also if he had an open ended straight draw he was all in. The guy was hitting hands like mad, so maybe if he wasnt on such a run, he wouldve had absolutely zero more often, but most of the time he had at least a decent draw backing his hand.

At a ten handed table, my usual strategy would be to wait for pockets and hope to trip up and bust him.

But this was at a six seater, so his blind stealing was going to kill me over time.

So basically am I forced to take preflop coinflips with this guy, or whats my play against someone like this?

Thanks,

David

Sephus
07-21-2005, 05:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just had no clue of how to play against this guy. He almost always raised to 4 dollars which being that in general we both had 50 bucks in our stack gave me 12.5 to one implied to call his raise (most pots were hu). The flop would come, and probably 70% of the time he would go all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

call preflop with hands that are likely to dominate his. call his allins when you flop something likely to beat him.